Magic systems

Spaceferring

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes, but it varies by system.  The metallic arts can be used on other worlds without any tweaks at all.  you can even use non-scadrian metals, as long as they are the right purity/mixtures.  Awakening, likewise has no restriction, but you have to bring the breath with you, as non-nalthians are not born with a breath.  Surgebinding is harder, because it is apparently difficult to take spren offworld, but if you can manage that, then it can be used, though it is an open question whether other forms of investiture can fuel it beyond stormlight.  the Selish magics are probably the hardest, given their ties to locations on Sel.  it is difficult to get them to function on another continent, let alone another world, though probably not impossible.

@Dunkum summed it up pretty well. Though getting surgebinding to run on other things is apparently a pretty easy hack, it would still require a hack. The biggest hurdle is going to be getting the Spren off-world.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Can a Surgebinder use Breath like they can Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

This is possible and not really that hard to make work.

source

All magics, save Sel are not restricted to their world.

Questioner

So we know that you can't just have someone-- If someone were to do something similar to Hoid, he can't just pop and go "Oh look, I can now do Allomancy or I can now do Surgebinding". What about Breath? If someone could somebody get Breath-- Maybe not *audio obscured* Could they still get the benefits of--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, good question... Yes you can, actually. Breath is-- Once it is given to you, it is being keyed to you. Your Identity. So that transfer makes it yours to use however you want.

Questioner

So you could Awaken?

Brandon Sanderson

You could Awaken. If you-- If you were to somehow make it there, you would be able to Awaken. It's the easiest of magic systems to get the magic from, and then to manipulate. Because it has keyed into it Identity.

Questioner

*audio obscured*

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you can take Breath onto another world. In fact, you've seen characters do this.

Questioner

*audio obscured*

Brandon Sanderson

It would work, yes.

Questioner

*audio obscured*

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would work the same way.

The only magic that is location-dependent--  The ones who aren't interested in this, just hum to yourself, okay? *laughter* You don't need to know any of this stuff to enjoy the books, okay? I write them so that you could just-- each series can be read independently, and enjoyed. There is behind the scenes stuff, and if you want to dig, it goes pretty deep.

So on Sel, we have AonDor. AonDor is based on the fact that the Dor, which is an amalgamation of Dominion and Devotion, has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didn't want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone. It will either seek someone to be its Vessel or it will gain sentience. He pressed it in there; he pressed it together, which creates the violent reaction, because those two intents are opposed. And that is the foundation of the magic. Because it's stuck in the Cognitive Realm rather than the Spiritual Realm (the Spiritual Realm is location-independent; Cognitive Realm is location-dependent), it makes the magic on Sel only work in close proximity to what is keyed through there to the location they're keyed to. This has to do with Identity and Connection. Mostly Connection. So that means you can't do AonDor on another planet, but you can do other magics works anywhere, because they're drawing the magics specifically through either the place, or they're end-neutral, like Breath is, and you don't need any extra power.

source

One more thing to add to the 'ease of offworld magic' discussion is Taldain's magic. The sand can be recharged with any kind of kinetic Investiture so a Sand Master could use their magic offworld and still be able to recharge the sand. It also makes uncharged sand into a handy 'Investiture radar' even for someone who isn't a Sand Master.

But yeah, setting aside Sel's location-dependant magic the systems with the biggest limitations on their offworld use are those that involve Splinters (ie, Surgebinding with the Nahel Bond between Radiant and spren) because they're bound to the Physical/Cognitive 'zone' where their Investiture is rooted, which is a less extreme version of what's happening with the Dor. Brandon has said that getting a Splinter offworld isn't hard per se but you'd need to learn how to do it. We know it's possible and we've even seen someone do it, we just don't know how yet.

So I often thought about fueling Awakening with Stormlight (because of that guy and that thing), but given how much more restricted/finite Breaths are compared to other investiture I never really considered fueling other things with it.  We know a big part of why Stormlight doesnt work great for Awakening is that Stormlight is innately less "sticky" from it's role is the Rosharan ecosystem (See WOB Below).   But that beggs teh question: Is the opposite true?  Would effects like Lashings or Lightweaving or whathaveyou be longer lasting, maybe even permanent, if they were fueled with an equivalent amount of Breath?

Argent

Awakening and Surgebinding, Stormlight and Breath seem really similar in some aspects--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

--except Breaths seem to stick to things better--

Brandon Sanderson

They do.

Argent

--than Stormlight. So when you are holding the Breath it doesn't expire when you put it in something it doesn't go away. Can you tell me something about why that's happening?

Brandon Sanderson

Part of this is kind of inherent to the Shard and the power it's coming from. I mean the power of Endowment is just going to stick, that's part of the nature of its magic. Does that make sense? But it also kind of has to do with how the ecosystems are working. For instance the Stormlight is essential to the ecosystem of Roshar, it needs to be expended, it needs to get out and-- It's like evaporation, does that make sense?

Argent

Recycling? Not the recycling but the cycle of--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah like the cycle of water. And so just part of the way the nature of it works, it has to get out, it has to leak out, it has to run out. I mean it leaks even from spheres, right?

Argent

And when you lash things it's temporary--

Brandon Sanderson

Yep. And even though Szeth says that he thought Voidbringers could hold it they can't. Like it is just not the way that it works.

Argent

Can they just hold it better?

Brandon Sanderson

They can hold it better. It's not permanent. Now there are things that can do it permanently but--

Argent

Like the black sphere for example?

Brandon Sanderson

Well we are not going to... The black sphere is something different. You guys have guessed what the black sphere is, right?

Argent

Well we have some ideas. I support that it holds an Unmade. Am I wrong?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not going to answer that.

Argent

But you said--

Brandon Sanderson

I'm just curious what the theories are. Book 3 the black sphere is-- Everyone who reads the books will know what the black sphere is by the end of Book 3.

source

Spoiler

Spoiler for Length

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

So I often thought about fueling Awakening with Stormlight (because of that guy and that thing), but given how much more restricted/finite Breaths are compared to other investiture I never really considered fueling other things with it.  We know a big part of why Stormlight doesnt work great for Awakening is that Stormlight is innately less "sticky" from it's role is the Rosharan ecosystem (See WOB Below).   But that beggs teh question: Is the opposite true?  Would effects like Lashings or Lightweaving or whathaveyou be longer lasting, maybe even permanent, if they were fueled with an equivalent amount of Breath?

I don't believe so. In Awakening, the breath is poured into an object and then basically acts as the muscles and tendons that enable movement. The breath remains and is not consumed. 

If it were to be used in surgebinding, that wouldn't be the case. 

Leinton (paraphrased)

Can Breath be used to power Surgebinding?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They are very similar Investitures, and most of the magics can be powered with the other magics if you are capable of making that happen.

Questioner (paraphrased)

What would happen to the Breath?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The Breath would be consumed in the same way that Stormlight is. A renewing resource, much like atium is.

source

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I don't believe so. In Awakening, the breath is poured into an object and then basically acts as the muscles and tendons that enable movement. The breath remains and is not consumed. 

If it were to be used in surgebinding, that wouldn't be the case. 

Ok, cool, so we have confirmed that Breathe-powered Surgebinding would not be recoverable the way normal Awakened objects would, more like the Lifeless that are unrecoverable.  But would the fact that it is Breathe rather than Stormlight powering the Surge Change (mostly Extend, Im thinking) the behavior of the active Surge?  My thinking here is that the reason some Surges (like the Lashings or maybe some Lightweaving effects we've seen) are always temporary because of the innate property of Stormlight that resists containment, that it wants to return to the metaphorical Water Cycle of Roshar.  That wouldnt be the case if it were Breaths, so Im thinking it might make for way more longevity in the effect (if still a one-use sort of thing).