Interesting Line by Hoid in tWoK

Elusive Fehler

"I wonder if you could do that to a man.  Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk.  Then combine them beck together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian.  If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me.  Or perhaps Gibletish."

-Hoid to Dalinar, The Way of Kings - Chapter 54

Hoid says this line seconds after:

"I know," Wit said, the looked directly at him.  "Adonalsium."

-Hoid to Dalinar, The Way of Kings - Chapter 54

Is the top quote Hoid speculating on what happened to Adonalsium?  Is her wondering aloud if he will ever be able to reassemble him/it?

Actually, looking it up in the book (page 751 of Way of Kings), its reversed. He mentions Adonalsium first, then talks about gibberish.

Interesting theory, to be sure. Maybe there's a grain of truth in there.

I'm wondering what made Hoid think Dalinar would have heard of Adonalsium.  Or maybe, and this just now occured to me, Hoid is planting the word in Dalinar's head so that when he eventually does find out about Adonalsium, it might occur to him to seek out Hoid to find out what he knows.

• 2 years later...

Or if you really wanna be crazy, maybe this is a thing about Hoid. As in he is the one that caused Adonalsium to come apart and is trying to put him back together, but has found it more difficult than he thought it would be.

I know it sounds crazy, but to my knowledge we just know Hoid was there at the shattering and is trying to do something with the Shards now that we tend to assume is toward good. Brandon has done a pretty good job making bad guys creative and surprising, maybe Hoid is the biggest surprise because he realized after he caused the shattering how much bad he had done and is now trying to fix it.

Or Hoid's just trying to see if Dallinar knew anything about Adonalsium from his visions.

This.

Hoid is definately involved in Adonalsium's being put together, though whether for or against we don't know.

Maybe the name of the Seventeenth Shard is relevant here. Are the trying to add themselves to it?

This.

Hoid is definately involved in Adonalsium's being put together, though whether for or against we don't know.

Maybe the name of the Seventeenth Shard is relevant here. Are the trying to add themselves to it?

That's an interesting idea. I'd always read it as just a take on 'fifth column', but this could have some legs.

And could totally be the basis for a large, metaplot-spanning threat.

• 2 months later...

This.

That is one of the most intriguing ideas I've heard!  And folding into it the idea that the designated recipient of the letter has some connection to the 17th shard adds some real spice to the idea!  In the con file though, is that Hoid (or whoever wrote the letter) thinks that it's possible the (assumed) Shardholder he is addressing might actually influence the 17th Shard, so there is that.

Either they mean to add themselves to Adonalsium, they mean to replace Odium or some other shard in Adonalsium, or they've managed to artificially create a shard that they might to the above with.

Artificial shards. Harmony help us.

Literally.

Either they mean to add themselves to Adonalsium, they mean to replace Odium or some other shard in Adonalsium, or they've managed to artificially create a shard that they might to the above with.

Artificial shards. Harmony help us.

Literally.

Or maybe their leader is the mind that originally held Adonalsium. It's logical to assume that the whole follows the rules of the parts, so what was the cognitive aspect of Adonalsium? And assuming it's benevolent, where do you go when you have the power of Creation and are turned into a shadow of yourself? Maybe you build a network of world hoppers to put out the fires your power is causing while you figure out a way to kill sixteen gods.

EDITED for spelling

Edited by Vortaan

Or maybe their leader is the mind that originally held Adonalsium. It's logical to assume that the whole follows the rules of the parts, so what was the cognitive aspect of Adonalsium? And assuming it's benevolent, where do you go when you have the power of Creation and are turned into a shadow of yourself? Maybe you build a network of world hoppers to put out the fires your power is causing while you figure out a way to kill sixteen gods.

EDITED for spelling

The 17th Shard apparently has a policy of non-intervention, though.

I think they are more of an intelligence gathering operation more than anything. Perhaps they are trying to limit the devastating effects shards have on some worlds as well.

I always wondered about the cognitive aspect of Adonalsium too. The idea that the 17th Shard wants to add some aspect of itself to a rebuilt Adonalsium is an interesting idea too.

The first thing that comes to mind is a classic power struggle - Hoid may believe that he should be the new cognitive aspect of Adonalsium and the 17th Shard may believe that one of their members should be the new cognitive aspect. Something else I wonder about is if the 17th Shard is going to try to rebuild Adonalsium with a cognitive aspect made up of more than one person.

They identity spike themselves and then compile it into one shardholder.  A Cosmere-wide battle over who will act as the mind of God, and who can put the most demigods in place for the final move. It's like a game of chess, except the board is a massive cube and both sides can move each other's pieces.

I love it.

• Chaos locked this topic