Captain Tozbek....looks familiar

BaarZel

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but has anyone noticed this:

from tWoK-  City of the bells

describing Tozbek

"He wore...a silver buttoned black coat. She's imagined him getting that scar on his jaw in a furious sea battle..."

Ummm...don't we know someone else who wears a black uniform with silver buttons with a scar on his face?

Don't know what to do with this information, please help.

The scar is mentioned in that quote as being on his jaw and Tozbek is Thaylen, whereas Darkness is described thusly:

A man stood before him, wearing a crisp black and silver uniform. He had dark brown skin like a man from the Makabaki region, but had a pale mark on his right cheek in the shape of a small hooked crescent.

WOR p. 1062

So probably not the same person. Also, Darkness never seems to express much emotion about anything, but Tozbek seems to have a normal emotional range.

“Tozbek was a short man, even-shouldered with Shallan, and he wore his long white Thaylen eyebrows up in a curious spiked pattern. It was like he had two waving fans above his eyes, a foot long each. He wore a simple knit cap and a silver-buttoned black coat. She’d imagined him getting that scar on his jaw in a furious sea battle with pirates. The day before, she’d been disappointed to hear it had been caused by loose tackle during rough weather.”

“It’s not polite,” Shallan protested.

Tozbek bellowed a laugh”

Definitely not Nalan. Nalan has a white crescent of pale skin, possibly a scar, on the cheek and is untouched by emotion. Plus he is ebony skinned, so definitely not thaylen. It would have been pretty cool though.

Bah, ninja'd

Edited by Chlehrma

I should have been a little more clear. 

Nalan and Tozbek  are definitely not described identically.

That said, for being two seemingly unrelated characters, I think it is a little too similar to write off as a coincidence, especially considering the author. 

Also,  "One of his minions entered behind him, a man in a black and silver uniform, less ornamented (Lift)"

We have to admit that Tozbek was at least wearing a black and silver uniform.

Edited by BaarZel

I should have been a little more clear. 

Nalan and Tozbek  are definitely not described identically.

That said, for being two seemingly unrelated characters, I think it is a little too similar to write off as a coincidence, especially considering the author. 

Also,  "One of his minions entered behind him, a man in a black and silver uniform, less ornamented (Lift)"

We have to admit that Tozbek was at least wearing a black and silver uniform.

Yeah, in that context it could be significant.

Speaking of strange lookalikes did anyone who read the Wheel of Time notice that Dalinar's scout captain was pretty much the same exact character as Matt's former horse thief scout captain.  Sorry can't remember either character's name.  I'm not implying that any kind of universe hopping happened here just that BS put in a little Easter Egg for Wheel of Time readers.

Speaking of strange lookalikes did anyone who read the Wheel of Time notice that Dalinar's scout captain was pretty much the same exact character as Matt's former horse thief scout captain.  Sorry can't remember either character's name.  I'm not implying that any kind of universe hopping happened here just that BS put in a little Easter Egg for Wheel of Time readers.

I did. I figured it was an easter egg, given Brandon's associations with the Wheel of Time.

Coat =/= uniform coat. Dalinar spends a good chunk of WOK complaining about the other lighteyes not wearing uniforms, but they are nonetheless usually described as wearing coats. Not so sure about darkeyes wearing coats, but still.

I don't understand the nature of this comment. Coat = coat. Both of them had coats with silver buttons. I am sure Nalan's was much different looking, but I'm not trying to say that they are wearing the same coat, merely suspiciously similar styles. 

I don't understand the nature of this comment. Coat = coat. Both of them had coats with silver buttons. I am sure Nalan's was much different looking, but I'm not trying to say that they are wearing the same coat, merely suspiciously similar styles. 

There are so many variety and sub-varieties of coats that the word- coat- is basically kind of pointless. A raincoat is different from a trenchcoat, is different from a greatcoat, and that's before we get into jackets (which might be called coats colloquially), or other uses of the word (like something being coated in crem, or heat, or any other different intepretation of it.)

Basically, a uniform coat =/= a "normal" coat. But I do find the idea of him being one of Nalan's entourage interesting.

There are so many variety and sub-varieties of coats that the word- coat- is basically kind of pointless. A raincoat is different from a trenchcoat, is different from a greatcoat, and that's before we get into jackets (which might be called coats colloquially), or other uses of the word (like something being coated in crem, or heat, or any other different intepretation of it.)

Basically, a uniform coat =/= a "normal" coat. But I do find the idea of him being one of Nalan's entourage interesting.

I didn't understand the nature of the pot because I'm not really trying to say they were the same coat. My original point was pointing out that both character are described as wearing similar coats. It's the text that describes each with the word "coat."

I know there are many kinds of coats, but if Sanderson is going to describe two outfits similarly and then use the word "coat" for both, I'm not gonna write it off because there are a lot of varieties of coats.

• Chaos locked this topic