Devaan's Training ground

Nohadon

After Devaan's death, the training grounds changed.

The shooting range had been upgraded, targets  the house expanded to have it's own barracks were pupils slept and lived, complete with bunks, a common room and a small private sparring ground to settle private disputes. An armourer had opened up shop, selling it's wares to visitors and pupils alike, Silphio had set up a private currency that could be used to buy things from the old man at the store. 

The weapon rack had even more assortments of weapons, armour and firearms, there was a heavy artillery area as well, the sparring grounds had improved, mock terrain dotted some of the areas. The security was upgraded too, hidden posts throughout the mountain in case anyone was making the climb, aons to strengthen the pupils lest they get attacked and a large amount of other things that made the people inside the training grounds feel just a little safer.

Silphio looked over them, a large assortment of trainees were busy training, occasionally someone approached him, hoping for an advancement duel. 

Let era three in Devaan's training grounds... BEGIN!

A somewhat portly man appeared a short distance away from the entrance to the training grounds. He huffed to himself as he stood, brushing the dust from his waistcoat and examining his surroundings.

His brow briefly furrowed in confusion but firmed a moment later as he strode purposefully towards the nearest visible structure. As he walked he frowned at the nearby pieces of training equipment.

Primitive. He thought to himself. Have the people here not even progressed such useless weapons as this?

His mouth contorted into a grim smile. Perhaps this place would suit his needs after all.

10 hours ago, Voidus said:

A somewhat portly man appeared a short distance away from the entrance to the training grounds. He huffed to himself as he stood, brushing the dust from his waistcoat and examining his surroundings.

His brow briefly furrowed in confusion but firmed a moment later as he strode purposefully towards the nearest visible structure. As he walked he frowned at the nearby pieces of training equipment.

Primitive. He thought to himself. Have the people here not even progressed such useless weapons as this?

He mouth contorted into a grim smile. Perhaps this place would suit his needs after all.

Silphio floated over to the man and smiled.

”Hey, are you here to pick up a student?”

3 hours ago, Nohadon said:

Silphio floated over to the man and smiled.

”Hey, are you here to pick up a student?”

”Hey, are you here to pick up a student?” A nearby asked Metronome as he examined his surroundings.

A student? Poor pitiful creature. It still clings to hope that my power can be taught.

"Unfortunately not. But perhaps, in time, a disciple?" Metronome said, smiling condescendingly towards Silphio.

I should, after all, allow the first people to greet me in this world a chance to live as my disciples. My first stepping stone in my path to greater things.

"What is this place? What do you call it?"

What's my name?!? WHAT'S MY NAME!? This little cretin doesn't even know that much!? Is this world so underdeveloped that not even that has been preached here yet? Or worse still, could he be ignorant of my identity entirely? Can he not even feel the waves of terror and majesty that I radiate?

Metronome's eyes briefly widened in surprise and outrage before settling into a pitying expression. This poor world. To be so ignorant, so feeble that they couldn't even discern that much.

"Take heed and remember this moment well." Metronome began, puffing his chest out and spreading his arms in a grandiose gesture. "For I am METRONOME!"

The word hung in the air, echoing around as the training grounds were vacated of others.

Silphio looked him up and down.

"Never heard of you mate" He barely supressed a laugh as he waved his pupils back onto the training grounds, he knew at least some of them would be watching in case there was a confrontation. Several dissapointed pupils walked back on and began to spar.

Whoever this man was, he wasn't on Devaan's portfolio, and he was obviously an epic from his demeanour, but he was either new with uncontrolled power, or a non-threat, and the intelligence Division hadn't informed him of any new world hopping epics recently, so Silphio wasn't worried anymore.

"Anything I can do for you? It's getting late but we have a sunset training recap with free food, your welcome to join in"

Ah, the sad little creatures mind must have broken. Metronome thought to himself. The stress of realizing the mistake he'd made must have rattled him to his core.

Metronome nodded sagely. He could forgive the man this time, meeting Metronome in person was an experience to shake the very soul of a lesser being, some acted out in strange ways. This one had even tried to remind Metronome that it was late, he must have been completely out of his mind when he said that.

"It is all well, child. I shall leave you here for today to ponder my words, when you have come to your senses once more then perhaps I shall find you."

Not that I'd be likely to remember such an insignificant being. But if he believes that I've forgiven him then he may snap out of whatever madness has taken him a little faster.

Metronome leaned in a little, grinning as he did so.

"Oh, and just so you know. It's five fourty-six."

But leaving him with a touch of fear is best to keep this memorable.

And with this final, chilling revelation, Metronome turned about, heading away from the training grounds, and no doubt leaving the man he'd spoken to quivering in fear at the awesome power he held.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Metronome leaned in a little, grinning as he did so.

"Oh, and just so you know. It's five fourty-six."

Silphio glances at his watch

”I’m aware”

As metronome finally left his vision he started laughing.

”TIME SENSE? THAT’S HIS EPIC POWER?”

Silphio laughed at the Epic who obviously had a god complex, the trainees shrugged and went back to it, they still had another fifteen or so minutes to go

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, I think I am here. said:

Max walked to the training ground, passing what appeared to be a god entity coming from the other way (=Metronome) and walked to the main gates.

“Hey Silph!” He called over. “What’s up?”

A smile spread across Silphio's face.

"Nothing too much, just training this sorry lot." He gestured to his students.

"You got a new recruit by the way, he joined ops, his name's Jacien, Devaan called him out on a mission, apparently the old man still has that authority"

12 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

A smile spread across Silphio's face.

"Nothing too much, just training this sorry lot." He gestured to his students.

"You got a new recruit by the way, he joined ops, his name's Jacien, Devaan called him out on a mission, apparently the old man still has that authority"

“That’s great,” Max said. A new recruit was always welcome. “Who was that short guy I passed on the way here? Failed recruit?” He asked, smiling.

On 07/03/2019 at 8:19 PM, Nohadon said:

"Just an idiot epic with a god complex. Nothing to worry about." Silphio told Max about his encounter with Metronome, laughing as he did so.

Max laughed too, walking forward and leaning against a training dummy implanted into the ground. When he finished, he looked up to Silphio. “What a year, right? One whole year of running the Canton, training more students, doing more things. How she it been for you these last couple months?”

4 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Max laughed too, walking forward and leaning against a training dummy implanted into the ground. When he finished, he looked up to Silphio. “What a year, right? One whole year of running the Canton, training more students, doing more things. How she it been for you these last couple months?”

"It's been great. The guardhouses are running well, Sergeant Kestraal finally quit moss, if he keeps training them well I'm thinking of promoting him to general." Silphio replied 

One of the trainees ran up to Silphio and Max, he was 16 years old, he held himself confidently, two scimitars sheathed at his sides.

"I'd like to challenge you for advancement, sir"

"Trainings over for today Alson, you'll have to wait till tommorow" The boy glared at him and Max and ran off.

"Keep an eye on that kid" Silphio said when out of earshot.

"He's a storming prodigy with most weapons. I want him to face Devaan." Silphio remembered something

"Apparently Devaan has a hidden black book somewhere in the canton? did he tell you where it is?"

16 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

"It's been great. The guardhouses are running well, Sergeant Kestraal finally quit moss, if he keeps training them well I'm thinking of promoting him to general." Silphio replied 

One of the trainees ran up to Silphio and Max, he was 16 years old, he held himself confidently, two scimitars sheathed at his sides.

"I'd like to challenge you for advancement, sir"

"Trainings over for today Alson, you'll have to wait till tommorow" The boy glared at him and Max and ran off.

"Keep an eye on that kid" Silphio said when out of earshot.

"He's a storming prodigy with most weapons. I want him to face Devaan." Silphio remembered something

"Apparently Devaan has a hidden black book somewhere in the canton? did he tell you where it is?"

Max clicked his fingers as he remembered why he’d come here in the first place, beyond catching up with Silph.

“Yes, as a matter of fact,” he said smiling. “It’s a record of everything he did as Canton Leader. Apparently there was a note on your desk to keep it the same. So I think it was the fourth drawer to the left in a hidden compartment, and then another hidden compartment to the left behind that.”

He watched the kid with the scimitars leave. “And I’m pretty sure Devaan could destroy him,” he said with a smile. “Though the fact the kid’s a progidy is pretty impressive, by Canton standards. Any Investiture on him?”

32 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

He watched the kid with the scimitars leave. “And I’m pretty sure Devaan could destroy him,” he said with a smile. “Though the fact the kid’s a progidy is pretty impressive, by Canton standards. Any Investiture on him?”

"Not as of yet, but I'm pretty sure he's unsnapped. Harmony help us all of he becomes a coinshot or a pewterarm"

"Devaan would destroy him, but it would teach him some humility."

35 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Yes, as a matter of fact,” he said smiling. “It’s a record of everything he did as Canton Leader. Apparently there was a note on your desk to keep it the same. So I think it was the fourth drawer to the left in a hidden compartment, and then another hidden compartment to the left behind that.”

"Wow. We could have used that earlier."

The sun began to set over the seran peaks.

"We have a sunset dinner with the trainees, it's starting soon, want to join in? don't worry, it's fairly light and you'll be back home mid afternoon alley city time."

2 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

“Wow. We could have used that earlier."

The sun began to set over the seran peaks.

"We have a sunset dinner with the trainees, it's starting soon, want to join in? don't worry, it's fairly light and you'll be back home mid afternoon alley city time."

“Sure,” Max said. He mentally touched his bond with Althea, to let her know he’d be home a little later than usual. “Is Asteil going to be there?”

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

“Sure,” Max said. He mentally touched his bond with Althea, to let her know he’d be home a little later than usual. “Is Asteil going to be there?”

"You know how he is. I sent him an invite, 50-50 odds he shows up"

The trainees began to gather in a large circle, setting up a bonfire.

1 hour ago, Nohadon said:

"You know how he is. I sent him an invite, 50-50 odds he shows up"

The trainees began to gather in a large circle, setting up a bonfire.

“And 100% chance he shows up drunk,” Max agreed. He got a mental message from Althea, that she was fine and she loved him, and he smiled and sent the same back.

“And then there’s Thea. Who’s great,” he smiled, and walked towards the circle of trainees.

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

“And 100% chance he shows up drunk,” Max agreed. He got a mental message from Althea, that she was fine and she loved him, and he smiled and sent the same back.

“And then there’s Thea. Who’s great,” he smiled, and walked towards the circle of trainees.

"Yeah, Althea's incredible. How does she put up with you?" 

Silphio joined Max, the trainees had just finished cooking, one girl with red hair, tied to a ponytail was instructing people what to do.

"That's Bel, she grew up in JiinDo, she's as good as chayshan is she is cooking. I've been trying to show her the finer points but I'm not that experienced with the art." Silphio shook his head as the older trainees began pouring various drinks, mostly scadrian whiskey, Silphio accepted some with a smile. The trainees were talking animatedly. Max always intrigued them, the combat rioter, someone with no offensive magic and yet was still a highly respected fighter and a high-ranking ghostblood.

The food was quickly served, a shrimp HaiKo, Silphio immediatley tore into it.

"Sorry I'm late" Astiel said from behind Max and Silphio. 

Silphio jumped, startled, almost dropping his HaiKo.

Astiel was wearing his modified canton uniform, a short jacket that had the logo emblazoned onto it. He grinned at the two of them and fetched some horneater white, drinking it casually while talking with Max and Silphio.

"I had to take care of something" Astiel continued

"What was that?" Silphio replied

"I'd rather not go into it"

Halfway down the mountain, four corpses lay, with a copy of the mapped out Devaan's training ground, sticks of dynamite and various weaponry.

Edited by Nohadon