[OB] The Unmade. Gotta catch 'em all!

Bigmikey357

On Roshar there are 9 Splinters of Odium whose function is similar to Honor's Heralds. The Unmade, harbingers of chaos and calamity. But at the end of OB we saw on screen that they can be captured in much the same manner as the spren used for fabrials. It requires a perfect gemstone, a person who's naturally attractive to the particular Unmade to draw it in, and someone who is strong willed enough resist its influence. This post will attempt to match Unmade with characters likely to succeed in capturing them. Of course this list is incomplete since we don't yet know the function of all the Unmade. For some of these I'll try to speculate but naturally this is open to commentary.

Known Capure Capacity

The two Unmade we know align with certain characters as revealed in OB. 

Nergaoul - Dalinar (captured)

Re-Shepir - Shallan (capture capable)

Speculative Capture Capable Characters

These are based on what we know of the Unmade, matched to a character that alligns to its function, however loosely

Moelach (Death Rattles) - Renarin

Ashertmarn (Heart of the Revel) - Lyft (tenuous connection due to her love of food)

Unknown Capacity

These are the Unmade that we know hardly anything about besides a name. More information needed to determine an alignment.

-Chemoarish (Dustmother)

-Dai-Gonarthis (Black Fisher)

Questioned Capacity

These are Unmade of whose function is reasonably certain, but ones for who character alignment is little more than guesswork.

- Yelig-Nar (Blightwind) - Has already consumed Amaram and Aseudan. Grants all Surges in exchange for a loss of form. 

- Sja-Anat - A corruptor of Spren. May remain uncaptured because she is trying to defect.  A Spy type would be most likely alignment.

- Bo-Ado-Mishram - Odium's General. Grants Voidlight. Was previously captured by Bondsmith Melishi. Due to power, may need to be aligned to another Bondsmith to be recaptured. (Was she released or is she still trapped?)

During the battle at Thaylen City he swallows the gemstone that held Yelig-Nar at Odium's command. As he fought Kaladin he lost more and more control, allowing the Unmade to consume him even as it granted him power. He was becoming a monster and would have killed Kaladin even as he was consumed, but Rock killed him with a Shardbow before the transformation was completed.

I don't believe Yelig Nar was imprisoned in a perfect gemstone. Those are probably too big to swallow. And if not in a perfect gemstone they have a tendency to leak. If Yelly were trapped then swallowing the gem should have no effect.

I’m leaning toward Yelig Nar as a temporary parasite . He straight killed the Queen because she wasn’t strong enough . Amaram was as strong an Alethi soldier that u can come by and there was barely anything left of him when the transformation was complete . Let’s say Yelig-Nar would of won the battle or escaped it’s a good possibility he would of consumed Amaram eventually . And required a new host . This might be why Odium keeps using him on Alethi nobility . Cause even as they become deadly pawns , he is also removing powerful leaders from human side. . Command of all 10 surges is a powerful boon . The cost is probably great as well . If the cost is not fatal then I don’t see why the leader of the Fused dont pop it in there mouth? Thoughts ?

20 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I don't believe Yelig Nar was imprisoned in a perfect gemstone. Those are probably too big to swallow. And if not in a perfect gemstone they have a tendency to leak. If Yelly were trapped then swallowing the gem should have no effect.

As we saw in WoR spren trapped in gemstones are only trapped until the moment of transformation and the gemstone is broken on the ground and the spren flies into the Singers gemheart . As humans have no gemheart they have to swallow him in a gem . The gem causes a physical transformation and consumes the chest cavity only leaving a gem in the chest area that acts as a gemheart. Point is I don’t think it has to be a perfect gemstone. Only a gemstone small enough to be swallowed .

Edited by SzethIsBadAsHell
Respond to another topic

Just now, Calderis said:

Yelig-nar, in my opinion, requires the swallowed gem as a focal point only. A place to interact with the physical in the person. It's not trapping her.

So to clarify are you saying that Yelig-nar channels it’s power thru the swallowed gemstone but  is not actually present in the gemstone . The gemstone is a focus only ?

1 minute ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

So to clarify are you saying that Yelig-nar channels it’s power thru the swallowed gemstone but  is not actually present in the gemstone . The gemstone is a focus only ?

Yeah. No way a normal gemstone can contain an Unmade. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately it makes it almost impossible to trap him using the Bondsmith unique ability! The only way I could see it happening is if the Bondsmith swallowed a gem and invited him in then used his/or her unique ability to place it in a perfect gemstone . If Yelig-nar is in another host the strong investiture would probably resist other investiture if Cosmere Standard’s are in effect .

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Yeah, I don't think Yelig-nar is completely in the gemstone either when someone ingests it.  He just uses it as the doorway to someone's soul that he reportedly consumes.

One thing I want to comment on is that I think the transformation Yelig-nar imparts is virtually instantaneous.  The crystal effects we're seeing are probably that of what it looks in the Physical Realm as Yelig-nar is consuming someone.  Amaram was able to use multiple powers before he turned into a pretty pile of crystal, after all.  I am hoping Brandon does an AMA on Reddit or somewhere soon, so I can try to get an answer as to whether crystal is what "desiccated Spiritual essence" looks like.  The question I have is at what point is Yelig-nar speaking and not the host?

The other question I have is whether Yelig-nar is in an incomplete form or not.  I am (currently) of the mindset that he's not, but a part of this depends on which (how many) of the Unmade did Gavilar Kholin succeed in finding, and if he kept them imprisoned did he siphon off some of their trapped state into other perfect gemstones?  Navani's made it very clear that Gavilar has likely been fraternizing with "unwholesome elements" for some time, and it seems entirely plausible that Gavilar found out about Ba-Ado-Mishram from one of the sapient Unmade if not from Odium directly talking to him, as he has to Dalinar and others.

That said, I have Kaladin slated to be the person most likely to handle Dai-Gonarthis.  Someone who battles with depression seems a dead ringer for handling an Unmade that might well perpetuate states of despair.  Likewise, I see Szeth handling Yelig-nar due to his impressive willpower.  Plus, the "screams" Szeth hears could have some relevance to Yelig-nar supposedly speaking with the "wails of those he consumed."

Edited by dvoraen

44 minutes ago, Patrick Star said:

IMO Ba-abo-mishram is in Gavilar's sphere that he gave to Szeth, so it's likely still floating around in Jah Keved somewhere

We know Gavilar had multiple black spheres (Brandon has not canonised the number) so if BAM is in the sphere I think it is only a fragment from a splintered BAM. BAM as the unmade that provides Voidlight appears to be one of the strongest unmade (I think the complexity/strength of an unmade is proportional to the number of names e.g. Ba-Ado-Mishram>Nergaoul). Given this, it would require a large, perfect gemstone to trap it. The black sphere that Gavilar gives Szeth was found on his necklace and is not described as perfectly cut so I doubt it is large or perfect enough to hold an unmade against its will. If BAM was somehow splintered and these splinters were placed into separate spheres then the spheres required would not need to be perfect. If this were the case then it would be especially important that Szeth recovers his sphere to prevent the complete reassembly of BAM.

20 hours ago, Angsos said:

Without being swallowed, wouldn't he be trapped if the sphere was recovered by team Dalinar?

According to one of the prefaces to a chapter in Oathbringer, Yelig-nar bestows his power to someone (maybe just humans) through the ingestion of that sphere. Based on how that preface or whatever was phrased, I don't think that Yelig-nar actually is present only in those stones.

6 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

IMO Ba-abo-mishram is in Gavilar's sphere that he gave to Szeth, so it's likely still floating around in Jah Keved somewhere

Are you sure that Ba-ado-mishram is in that sphere that Szeth hid? I thought Navani or someone said in the end of Oathbringer that Gavilar made that sphere.

I think Sja-anat will be dealt with (maybe converted to the Ghostbloods) by Shallan/Veil, or imprisoned by that Karbranthian Dustbringer, whatever her name was. I don't think that Sja-anat will be imprisoned.

Do we not know what Chemoarish and Dai-Gonarthis do?

Just a heads up @NiceBleach, the mods would prefer you to edit your post to add things on instead of double posting.

4 minutes ago, NiceBleach said:

Do we not know what Chemoarish and Dai-Gonarthis do?

We know that Dai-Gonarthis is the Black Fisher and may have been involved in the scouring of Aimia.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Unmade#Chemoarish

5 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Just a heads up @NiceBleach, the mods would prefer you to edit your post to add things on instead of double posting.

We know that Dai-Gonarthis is the Black Fisher and may have been involved in the scouring of Aimia.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Unmade#Chemoarish

What is the scouring of Aimia?

Never mind. I really wish we had more information on the scouring.

Judging from her nickname of "Dustmother," I'm going to guess that a Dustbringer is going to take care of Chemoarish.

4 minutes ago, NiceBleach said:

Never mind. I really wish we had more information on the scouring.

You're not alone there...

Theres a WoB that some of the Aimians saw the scouring as necessary which I find quite interesting.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did the Aimians want Aimia to be scoured?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No. But, doesn't mean that they--some of them may have seen what happened as necessary. But certainly that was not a prevailing thing.

I think the ultimate purpose of the Aimians is to protect the Dawnshards which is why they killed outsiders trying to travel to Akinah. They can't have their secret getting out.