magic systems question

Ark1002

Question

13 answers to this question

Oh, so you're talking about putting a physical object into either the spiritual realm or cognitive realm, and then retrieving for later use? I'm not aware of any that work with the spiritual realm, although if that were the case, that'd be your best bet. And for the cognitive, you'd have to be able to create perpendicularity, which require a lot of power. Your Elsecallers and and Willshapers may be able to do so, which large amounts of investiture required. Assuming no one messed with the object while it was in the cognitive. But if you're looking for storing it in a magical pocket dimension.. no.

12 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Is there a cosmere magic system that allows you to store objects in the air and access it at a later time?

Yes.  The Surge of Gravitation on Roshar would allow you to hover an object like this.  At least until it ran out of Stormlight.  

Also, this probably belongs in the Cosmere Q&A section, not the Arcanum section.  

With the exception of a Radiant who can summon their spren 'out of thin air' (or to a lesser extent, anyone with a dead Shardblade or an Honorblade) there isn't a currently known magic system that allows you to take something and hide it in a pocket dimension or whatnot until you need it. BioChroma can sort of do something like this if you Awaken something that can hold an object and be commanded to find you at a later time (Vasher had a contingency plan using this method when he got himself thrown into the dungeons at the start of Warbreaker) and of course, Forgery and Soulcasting allow you to make objects on-demand which can be concealed but that's not quite what you're thinking of. It's possible that AonDor could have similar applications since we know that creating things 'from nothing' was possible if considerably harder than the stories made it sound and they have at least one transportation Aon so clever usage of that could probably get you an equivalent to a Bag of Holding.

Actually, it occurs to me that if you had a helper willing to spend a lot of time in the Cognitive Realm shadowing your movements, a Surgebinder with the ability to create mini-Perpendicularities (Elsecallers, Lightweavers and Willshapers) could pop between Realms and deposit things with their assistant or retrieve them quickly as long as they have enough Stormlight.

Edited by Weltall

I meant that you could summon things out of thin air like the shardblades, not just having them float there. Could you ask the nightwatcher and get the power? Say you could just store it in the cognitive realm...

13 minutes ago, DarthWoodrack said:

It could be quite possible that their is a magic system on a world that we have not visited. Like perhaps, Odium's? He did create a world, right? That probably deserves it's own discussion. Actually, I'm going to start that.

Breaching between the realms tends to require lots of energy, so I would be surprised if there was one with these capabilities, although it is possible. And no, Odium did not create a planet.

It's kind of hacky (maybe not as much as a transportation surge portal); but if you're in the cognitive realm you can do this to an extent.

If you find the soul of something that you want to take with you, it's possible to get the soul to manifest in the cognitive realm and come with you.  It can be reduced greatly in size and carried around.  We see multiple characters do this in Mistborn: Secret History and a bit of it in Oathbringer; though the mechanics are a bit different in each.

8 hours ago, DarthWoodrack said:

Was this actually stated? Or does it just seem logical?

We have the 'negative evidence' that Khriss would surely have called this out if she knew about it (and she's the person who would know) in Arcanum Unbounded and we also know that Odium does not want to Invest any more than he absolutely has to, as part of his general modus operandi. We can strongly assume that he didn't create Braize directly because the entire system was made by Adonalsium, not just Roshar. And because the amount of Investiture required to create a planet would go straight agaisnt Odium's usual way of doing things and is likely impossible under his Intent. And we have WoB that the numberic correspondences are linked to planets rather than Shards so the fact that Braize has a different 'signature number' than Roshar isn't enough in itself to suggest Odium's direct involvement.

Not what I meant, I mean could you store something of your choice in the cognitive realm (you make it a worldhopper, kind of)

See my earlier post. We don't know of any magic systems that currently work this way (Blades on Roshar excepted) but there are some potential applications on other worlds that could work that way, at least one way you could make it work through Surgebinding and who knows what magic systems might exist on worlds we've yet to see.