Jasnah's Bandolier

Kobold King

Wow.  Didn't even think about it at the time, but you are absolutely on to something.

Look at this Brandon quote from a Q&A a few years back:

So, obviously we aren't going to see SA viewpoints traveling to other world's, but after saying the books won't dive strongly into other worlds he states that the Epilogue of WOR should excite us.  Why would there be any excitement for the Cosmere literate if all Jasnah had done was access Shadesmar?  Clearly IMO the bandolier is exactly what it looks like.

I am reasonably confident that this refers to the appearance of Nightblood, which got moved form the epilogue to a couple chapters before.  A little while back I think I mentioned it and Peter expressed confusion over it, that there wasn't a big cosmere thing in the epilogue.  (This being after the book was written, while that original was from before)

I am reasonably confident that this refers to the appearance of Nightblood, which got moved form the epilogue to a couple chapters before.  A little while back I think I mentioned it and Peter expressed confusion over it, that there wasn't a big cosmere thing in the epilogue.  (This being after the book was written, while that original was from before)

Ooooh, that makes a lot of sense, actually.

1)Why would Jasnah go to Scadrial in the first place?

It had to have been a mistake on her part. I believe that she even states to Hoid that she 'had to go somewhere quick in a pinch' or some such. But was Scardriel some random place, or had she been there before?

2)If this theory is applicable, would this mean that she can world hop on her own, independent of KR surging abilities? Or is world hopping actually a KR surge ability? 

Not sure if Elsecalling is referenced anywhere else in the series, but is that a surge, or a whole different type of magic?

Not sure if Elsecalling is referenced anywhere else in the series, but is that a surge, or a whole different type of magic?

Her Order is known as the Elsecallers and the name is believed by some to relate to the transportation surge thus "elsecalling" themselves or others to different locations (like the oathgate does). It could also just reference how their soulcasting allows them to "call" things and make them something "else". We've only seen the one example of her using transportation though so no solid facts yet.

1)Why would Jasnah go to Scadrial in the first place?

It had to have been a mistake on her part. I believe that she even states to Hoid that she 'had to go somewhere quick in a pinch' or some such. But was Scardriel some random place, or had she been there before?

2)If this theory is applicable, would this mean that she can world hop on her own, independent of KR surging abilities? Or is world hopping actually a KR surge ability? 

The recent batch of AoL annotations tell us that Harmony is spending some effort trying to find out about the other Shards. Maybe Jasnah went to him for information? I can imagine her and Marsh sitting down and trading notes about Odium, the Desolations, and threats to the Cosmere at large.

I am inclined to think Elsecalling is the Surge of Transportation, but as Awesomeness Summoned says, we don't have much solid information about the magic.

I don't think you have to use the surges to get to Shadesmar. Shallan did so w/o burning any of her stormlight in tWoK, then later in WoR she is able to partially move back and forth a couple of times while practicing. Kaladin almost translates to Shadesmar at one point in WoR if I remember correctly.

So even if Jasnah did get to Scadrial, which if Peter is confused by that WoB then the quote no longer convinces me, I don't think she would have required Stormlight/Investiture to get back. To Elsecall with the ring of fire thing that we see in the Epilogue though, she absolutely would have.

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Sadly enough I, at first, read "bandolier" as "bandoneon," and thus imagined Jasnah with an accordion.

Second:

1. From an out-of-universe perspective, there is no clear reason for Brandon Sanderson referring to the pouch as a bandolier, unless it was actually a bandolier.

Well, to turn that around on you, there is no clear reason for Sanderson to refer to it as "a kind of leather bandolier" if it was actually just a leather bandolier.

Anywho, if Jasnah worldhopped, I'd suggest that Braize is the most likely place for her to have hopped to (and a planet with Odium on it seems ripe for needing gun-like weapons). Also, there's an unsourced note in the Coppermind that Braize might have some chapters taking place on it in later Stormlight books.

Edited by Thought

I don't think you have to use the surges to get to Shadesmar. Shallan did so w/o burning any of her stormlight in tWoK, then later in WoR she is able to partially move back and forth a couple of times while practicing. Kaladin almost translates to Shadesmar at one point in WoR if I remember correctly.

So even if Jasnah did get to Scadrial, which if Peter is confused by that WoB then the quote no longer convinces me, I don't think she would have required Stormlight/Investiture to get back. To Elsecall with the ring of fire thing that we see in the Epilogue though, she absolutely would have.

Shadesmar is always around, just beneath the surface. People experience it every moment of their lives but just don't realize it. When Shallan and Kaladin "enter" shadesmar, they aren't actually going anywhere. In those scenes, if someone had been watching them, it would have just looked like Kaladin or Shallan were standing there. They are simply shifting their mental focus which allows them to see the cognitive as opposed to the physical so stormlight is not needed.

Jasnah has the surge of transportation which is theorized to allow physical access to shadesmar, i.e. she can actually transport her body their instead of just her consciousness which would require stormlight to achieve most likely. So yes, there is the possibility that her going to Scadrial through shadesmar would require stormlight even though none is required to "see" and interact with shadesmar.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Using the almighty power of the search function in my kindle app, it appears that the word "leather" is used 22 times in WoR.. why does using it to describe the bandolier make the bandolier special?

we have 

-leather vests

leather jerkins

leathers (worn by bridgemen)

leather squares

leather

sparring leathers

leather satchel

bound leather portfolio

heavy leathers..

blah

blah

blah

Edited by GeoMancer

I think it is more important that it is described as a LEATHER bandolier. Where would you get leather on a world with no cows?

They use hogshide for leather:

Adolin twisted on of his hogshide reins around his finger while he sat astride his horse, awaiting the next batch of scout reports.

WOK hardback, page 190

It's never said where the hogs are from though, iirc. I always assumed Shinovar, like horses and chickens.

Wait, who said Jasnah went to Scadrial (or Garth Nix's universe, for that matter)? What if she went to Sel, or some other Shardworld? Sure, that doesn't explain the bandolier, but this topic is built upon the speculation that she could world hop. So what if she went to another world and got another object that's not necessarily a gun?

Edited by ST4RK

Why are we assuming there is no stormlight in Shadesmar?

All living honorspren excepting Syl are. They are in communication with the Stormfather. So the Stormfather has a presence there. The Stormfather is a font of stormlight. Shadesmar is not a separate place so much as a separate layer of perception. 

Why can't the Stormfather leave stormlight in his wake there as well?

I agree that the Stormfather probably has a presence in Shadesmar, though perhaps not. Syl doesn't now that she's in the physical realm. 

why do you think that the Stormfather is the font of stormlight? He brings the storms, but that doesn't mean he is the font of the stormlight. I think the storms themselves are what container the stormlight, he is the shepherd so to speak I believe. 

And I don't believe there are highstorms in Shadesmar. I guess not that we've heard anything about... 

The idea that there isn't sources of stormlight in Shadesmar is probably not totally true, as Jasnah acquired enough to Elsecall to wherever she ended up in the Epilogue from Shadesmar. But in tWoK she does chide Shallan for going to shadesmar with only "one dim sphere"... the implication being that it was dangerous because she might not be able to get more as I've read it. There are other interpretations of that phrase I suppose though... 

I think that the storms are the font of stormlight, not the Stormfather.

And while he can cause a storm to blow when he wants, he can't halt them.

"The Almighty demanded it of me.  I could no more disobey than I could refuse to blow the winds."

So, my guess is that even if the Stormfather resides in Shadesmar, there is no touch of stormlight there unless they have their highstorm equivalent, which I doubt.  At the least, it wouldn't be a realm-wide Investiturizationing (a word I just invented) that Roshar experiences.  Maybe it'd be like his own private hotsprings.  As for the bandolier and backpack, I find them to be of interest simply because Hoid finds them curious, even if I privately doubt they have an extra-worldly origin.

Even when she was reported as dead, I knew she'd transported herself ELSEwhere.  Interesting that Wit indicated that the spren weren't used to having a living creature amongst them for so long (i.e.:  Shadesmar, in my estimation).  That she's so trashed in appearance is a curiosity.  Just what did she encounter ELSEwhere for so long?  shrug7_zps8e52f5d8.gif

Well, to be fair, since everything exists in the three realms, and assuming that stormlight is just the form that investiture takes in the physical realm (rather than, say, being a bleedthrough from either the cognitive or spiritual realm), we can conclude that investiture would have a cognitive manifestation as well.

I've been reading more on that, and think that my original post was far too narrow in scope, so you're likely to be correct, Thought.  A large part of my brain is demanding that there's a reason for Jasnah to say:

"'Idiot girl!' Jasnah repeated.  "You have no idea how dangerous that was.  Visiting Shadesmar with only a single dim sphere?  Idiot!'" (Way of Kings, hardcover, p.969).

It just makes me think that stormlight is a more rare and precious a resource in Shadesmar than it is in the Physical realm--and necessary for survival for humans.

• Chaos locked this topic