[OB] General theories

BitBitio

I have a couple of theories. This is where I put them.

1: ichor-alcohol can be coated over a Hemalurgic spike to work like blood, preserving the charge.

2: the Lopen lost his arm to (OB) 

Spoiler

The Hog.

Some of my general theories:

• Using Harmonium as fuel and burning bendalloy and duralumin simultaneously will be the basis of FTL travel in Mistborn 4.
  • Kelsier is involved with the Ghostbloods.
  • Rock will become King of the Horneater people
  • Something fishy was involved with Shallan bonding Pattern before she was broken by her mother's death. My money is on either Cultivation or Sja Anat.
  • Rlain will become a bondsmith and be critical in uniting the listeners and humans.
  • The surge of adhesion is known to control vacuum and wind pressure and I believe it could be used to create powerful storms (given an infinite stormlight situation ala Thaylen city). This is also why Jezrien and the stormfather get confused in Rosharan mythology.
Edited by The Harlem Worldhoppers

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] General theories
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 4:48 AM, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Something fishy was involved with Shallan bonding Pattern before she was broken by her mother's death. My money is on either Cultivation or Sja Anat.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How was Shallan able to bond with Pattern before she was broken?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

She was open to him even before she went through a lot of that turmoil

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I thought everybody had to be broken in order to--

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Well, that's their philosophy in-world. But I'm not going to say whether it's correct or wrong. I will imply that there are other means as well.

source

Brandon has talked about this before in other places, but this was just the first one I found. It doesn't always take horrible, traumatic events to make you susceptible to Investiture suffusing your spiritweb.

Spoiler

My general fairly wild theories:

Dalinar/Unity is a new "baby" shard, still in the making.

Aimia, the land itself, is the Sibling.

Odium is the shard of Escape.

Hoid is manipulating Dalinar's visions.

Kaladin's next Windrunner oath, involving acceptance and facing failure, will be somehow taught to him by Odium.

Edited by Zellyia

8 hours ago, Zellyia said:
  Hide contents

Hoid is manipulating Dalinar's visions.

Hoid manipulating the visions would be such a turning point since Dalinar is placing people in the visions also. Might say how each vision is slightly different.

Edited by Wander89
Text included in spoiler box instead of new post.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:26 AM, StrikerEZ said:

Brandon has talked about this before in other places, but this was just the first one I found. It doesn't always take horrible, traumatic events to make you susceptible to Investiture suffusing your spiritweb.

That's exactly what I think. Lerasium is evidence of spirit web modifications without requirement of trauma. Anyone who ingests Lerasium will become a Mistborn. They do not have to be native to Scadrial or have pre-existing cracks in their spiritweb.

A nahel bond can only be formed when there are cracks in a spiritweb and I believe that an external force could act to alter someone's sDNA to the point where they can form a nahel bond without having experienced trauma. 

I think Shallan forming a nahel bond so early is a good indicator that some external force was acting on her. It definitely does not seem natural.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Why don't you have to say the words if you're just bonding a Cryptic?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Every Order's First Oath is the same. Then the Second Oaths for the Cryptics go into truths, but everybody says the First Oath the same regardless of Order. Which should raise the question of...

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did [Shallan] say it when she was a teeny-weeny, like in the cradle?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That should raise a question. She wasn't teeny-weeny, but it should raise a question there.

3 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

That's exactly what I think. Lerasium is evidence of spirit web modifications without requirement of trauma. Anyone who ingests Lerasium will become a Mistborn.

I'm not sure about that. In Elend's case, he'd already been through the childhood beating as a noble, so he would have been cracked, and every allomancer is born with the ability in their sDNA and still require the cracks in order to use their powers. 

With the Nahel bond, I just think that if a spren bonds with someone young enough, the spiritweb Wil grow to accommodate it, like grafting a branch on a tree. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I'm not sure about that. In Elend's case, he'd already been through the childhood beating as a noble, so he would have been cracked, and every allomancer is born with the ability in their sDNA and still require the cracks in order to use their powers. 

Yeah Elend already had the cracks in his spiritweb from those childhood beatings but Brandon has said that anyone who consumes Lerasium will become a Mistborn. He doesn't say that becoming a Mistborn by consuming Lerasium is contingent on that person already having cracks in their spiritweb. It's definitely something I'd like to clarify by asking Brandon.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

With the Nahel bond, I just think that if a spren bonds with someone young enough, the spiritweb Wil grow to accommodate it, like grafting a branch on a tree.

That's an interesting theory. It seems that the longer someone has lived the more rigid their perception becomes and the more resistive they become to spiritual modifications. It makes me wonder about the lack of child Radiants. Maybe Pattern was encouraged by Cultivation to bond to Shallan in such early circumstances akin to how Cultivation led Glys to Sja Anat to be corrupted.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

That's an interesting theory. It seems that the longer someone has lived the more rigid their perception becomes and the more resistive they become to spiritual modifications. It makes me wonder about the lack of child Radiants. Maybe Pattern was encouraged by Cultivation to bond to Shallan in such early circumstances akin to how Cultivation led Glys to Sja Anat to be corrupted

Personally, i don't think there was any outside influence causing Shallan to bond with Pattern. She was just young enough to bond, was exhibiting the qualities of a Lightweaver, and Pattern decided to bond her. We do know that there was some Odium influence on the Davar household, but I think that is unrelated to Shallan's Radianthood.

Also, I think it's a bit too early to presume that Cultivation sent Glys to Sja-Anat.

1 hour ago, MarShadow said:

Here is one of my theories.

The sixteen shards all have one different personality from the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator. 

Brandon has done a pretty good job of grounding his work into legitimate (albeit slightly modified) physics.  I doubt he'd be interested in introducing pseudoscience into the Cosmere.  

• Chaos locked this topic