Music that goes with scenes in WoR

bludvein

I was listening to some random soundtracks while rereading WoR, and by coincidence Touhou's "Bad Apple" was playing in the background during the fight scene with Szeth and Kaladin. Its somehow epic and sad at the same time, and the lyrics could apply to either Szeth or even Kaladin(though mostly Szeth).

Did any of you have any songs you think would go with a particular scene?

EDIT: Links to Bad Apple for people who aren't familiar with it.

English version

Original(Japanese)

Edited by bludvein

Upvote for listening to Bad Apple and actually paying attention to the lyrics. A lot of those lyrics can apply to Shallan as well, if you think about it. The song is very much about fear and guilt clouding one's actions. 

As for songs, I think that this song would go perfectly for (link in spoiler):

Shallan killing her father. Very emotional and full of conflict. If you've played through this scene in the game, it resonates very strongly with that moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9jVi2NsmE 

As for the battle between Szeth and Kaladin, this one works spectacularly as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-Rsu_MQQg

Edited by Chrono

Normally, I read in complete silence, but when I do turn on my playlist... Okay, these songs stands out for me. Sure, they all have lyrics, but you just can't beat the classics.

Burnings Hearts - Survivor
Wheel in the Sky - Journey
Back in Black - AC/DC
You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

This is a condensed list. Fat Bottomed Girls should have a place here too, but I don't anyone here would appreciate me associating that song to ...er, a certain lady character in the book. And ironically, yes, it's from Queen.

Upvote on Two Steps From H---, eveorjoy!  For me, pretty much anything Two Steps From H--- or Brand X Music apply.  My Epic Music playlist is full of them.

(edited: hehe, the censor kept turning H--- into 'calamity')

Edited by Ailessar

I normally never listen to music when I read but on my reread I was at my girlfriends and her radioalarm went off and I started reading (reread).

I right about there when Dalinar started fighting with Szeth when I kidd you not "I need a hero"(bonnie tyler) started playing on the radio.... That must have been the single most perfect coincidence of my life.

(i'm from Germany - we still have radio stations that play music from 80s - now. In case you were wondering

Still not hip on how do to the whole link-with-text thingy, but the song Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment (side project of Dream Theatre members) is a pretty storming epic song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA079BM0MuM

So, like this?

Edit: Woot. Did it, I think.Thank you!

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Ah, ok. I tried to post a few links and ended up embedding the videos instead. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, so how would one go about posting a link rather than embedding a video? And how could i make that link appear as text rather than simply a youtube address?

Edited by MrFloobie

• 4 months later...

In the scene where the Alethi army charges the void bringers I happened to be listening to

by Two Steps from Hell as the song hit the creshendo just before the three minute mark in the song.  It kind of caused a permanent association between that scene and the song in my head.  :blink: