[OB] There's something - or someone - missing

Leyrann

New addition to your thread. I do think you are in to something about there being another shard, but you are wrong about who the Broken One is. The Broken isn’t Odium. Odium does NOT rule as he is currently trapped. The Broken One is HONOR. (Cultivation has withdrawn from DIRECT conflict remember, and according to your theory the other shard is being used in the trap.) This means that currently that only the BROKEN shard, Honor, is affecting Roshar.

How does this idea sound?

Edited by animalia
Grammer/spelling.

10 hours ago, animalia said:

New addition to your thread. I do think you are in to something about there being another shard, but you are wrong about who the Broken One is. The Broken isn’t Odium. Odium does NOT rule as he is currently trapped. The Broken One is HONOR. (Cultivation has withdrawn from DIRECT conflict remember, and according to your theory the other shard is being used in the trap.) This means that currently that only the BROKEN shard, Honor, is affecting Roshar.

I like the idea of identifying the Broken One as Honor. It would basically be a new theory though, as this one has been thoroughly RShara'd (that's what it's called, right?) with the focus on a fourth shard.

14 hours ago, Leyrann said:

I like the idea of identifying the Broken One as Honor. It would basically be a new theory though, as this one has been thoroughly RShara'd (that's what it's called, right?) with the focus on a fourth shard.

It WOULD piggyback of this one though. Also I am only vaugly familiar with that term. What does it mean?

Just reading the OP of this thread n loved the idea of a 3rd shard. And of we are going with crazy theories. We know honor n cultivation were an item. What if they had a "child" called unity and his God spren is the sibling. Would kinda fit with the idea

But what if there is something beyond Honor and Odium. This is a deep question-

- what happened to Adonalism-

Did it just break or was there another force?

I think that a smaller force found a way to shatter it. The smaller force is bigger than almost all shards but is two scared of destruction to attack them, so he planted someone to take odium's shard. Someone crazy and easy to manipulate. That's why odium shatter's shards, so no one can unite them and challenge the other force.

Edited by DawnStalker

19 minutes ago, DawnStalker said:

But what if there is something beyond Honor and Odium. This is a deep question-

- what happened to Adonalism-

Did it just break or was there another force?

I think that a smaller force found a way to shatter it. The smaller force is bigger than almost all shards but is two scared of destruction to attack them, so he planted someone to take odium's shard. Someone crazy and easy to manipulate. That's why odium shatter's shards, so no one can unite them and challenge the other force.

The Vessels were probably the force that you're thinking of. They were definitely weaker than Adonalsium, but they managed to Shatter him just the same. They basically wanted to have Rayse pick up Odium, at least according to Frost ("He is what we made him to be").

Odium Splinters Shards because he wants to be the most powerful without taking on another Shard, which would change his intent.

Edited by RShara

I'm gonna throw a random thing out there that may support the "Broken One is Honor" theory. I made a note of it because I thought of this Death Rattle on a recent reread.

Somewhere, we learn that the words for "death" and "broken" in Alethi are really similar. Maybe when Navani is teaching Dalinar how to read? So, since we know how fond Brandon is of using badly recorded, corrupted, or mistranslated history to confuse us, it's possible that the person actually said "The Dying one reigns" which would make it clearly Honor instead of Odium.

It's fairly meaningless, except that I've come to believe that nothing Brandon writes is ever insignificant so there must be a reason that he included a scene about the confusion of these two words.

5 hours ago, Stormlightning said:

I'm gonna throw a random thing out there that may support the "Broken One is Honor" theory. I made a note of it because I thought of this Death Rattle on a recent reread.

Somewhere, we learn that the words for "death" and "broken" in Alethi are really similar. Maybe when Navani is teaching Dalinar how to read? So, since we know how fond Brandon is of using badly recorded, corrupted, or mistranslated history to confuse us, it's possible that the person actually said "The Dying one reigns" which would make it clearly Honor instead of Odium.

It's fairly meaningless, except that I've come to believe that nothing Brandon writes is ever insignificant so there must be a reason that he included a scene about the confusion of these two words.

I like this/you. Have a virtual cookie. Or, you know, get your self a real one.

19 hours ago, Stormlightning said:

I can't remember those two words being similar... Any chance you can find the scene it's part of?

10 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I can't remember those two words being similar... Any chance you can find the scene it's part of?

It's from the Rushu trying to read Renarin's ill formed glyphs when he was writing the countdown in secret.

“Ah,” said Rushu—a young female ardent with long eyelashes and buttonlike lips. “Look at the sloppy lines! The improper symmetry. Whoever did this is not practiced with drawing glyphs. They almost spelled death wrong—it looks more like ‘broken.’ And the meaning is vague. Death follows? Or is it ‘follow death’? Or Sixty-Two Days of Death and Following? Glyphs are imprecise.”

While we have Renarin and glyphs brought up, I want to point out something weird I noticed. Is it possible, Glys is short for Glyphspren? I don't know it SEEMS crazy, but with the whole way Renarin's name is apparently based on a linguistic oddity, (and what are the odds we have misinterpreted what his name is SUPPOSED to mean as well) it's the kind of thing I wouldn't but past Brandon.

@Leyrann I am really late replying to this but please reply! I love ur theory. it’s awesome. consider my mind blown. So many things would make sense this way and I don’t think it has necessarily been proven wrong. Here’s why

Chaos (paraphrased)

How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Three.                                                Speaking of wiggle room. The question is not phrased “existed in the rosharan system?” I know that this is probably about to get bombed with wobs but I was excited  and want to further the thread. Secondarily                             @stonedshaman                                 Is it possible (I mean I highly doubt it) but is it possible that somewhere along the blackthorn days, Dalinar got spiked in a battle?  It has been ssidnthatvwe have seen someone on Roshar with hemalurgy.                  What about what’s his name? Felt I think. It’s pretty likely he’s a kandra right? Btw does anyone have any wobs about whether a shard can be forced onto someone? I’m thinking like as an attack strategy. I thought of that because Odium does not want that

Edited by PelekinikeleT

3 hours ago, animalia said:

While we have Renarin and glyphs brought up, I want to point out something weird I noticed. Is it possible, Glys is short for Glyphspren? I don't know it SEEMS crazy, but with the whole way Renarin's name is apparently based on a linguistic oddity, (and what are the odds we have misinterpreted what his name is SUPPOSED to mean as well) it's the kind of thing I wouldn't but past Brandon.

Nope. Good thought though. Someone else already had it.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Glys. Is that a full name? Or is that a nickname like Syl?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah, Glys is a full name.

12 minutes ago, animalia said:

Dang. Worth a shot. I suppose he could have that name because he is a Glyphspren. Still... shrugs.

Anyways with Sanderson EVERYTHING makes me throw out wild mass guesses. Even more so now that he’s learned foreshadowing from Robert Jordan.

Given Elantris and the beginning and ultimate ending of Mistborn, pretty sure Brandon's always known how to foreshadow :D

On 10/6/2018 at 11:19 AM, animalia said:

"Odium reigns."  Said by the Stormfather to Kaladin in The Way of Kings, Chapter 46: 'Child of Tanavast', p.648 hard-cover.

A Shard other than Odium being the Broken One referred to in the epigraph just doesn't make any sense at all to me at this point.

So we know that all Radiant spren are a combination of Honor and Cultivation. Even spren like the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher have both because they form bonds and live on the planet. I think the Unity might be a shard that is mostly Honor, but with a large dose of Cultivation. Dalinar is bonded to the largest piece of Honor in existence and has been touched by Cultivation herself, that seems to me to point to Unity being a reforming of Honor but with a Cultivation flavored swirl on top, allowing the intent to change but the goals to remain similar. Having Unity on the playing field allows Cultivation to have a buffer against Odium's Power. The reason that Odium was screaming "I killed you" was because Unity is mostly Honor and thus looks like Honor to Odium. 

• Chaos locked this topic