Are there Spren on Scadrial

Loialty loailty loailty

Question

I saw an Ad in a broad sheet in the bands of mourning that seems like it was an ad put there by Khriss and Nazh asking if anyone's metal talked to them this reminded me of spren. is there any other evidence that there are spren on scardial or did they place that ad for a different reason?

7 answers to this question

Questioner

I've noticed that Seons and Spren are very, very similar but i haven't seen anything like that in the Mistborn world.

Brandon Sanderson

In Mistborn the Investiture took other forms. It never obtained sapience in the same way. Its theoretically possible that it could have but it.. yeah.

Questioner

So it wouldn't be like the Mist?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you could say that the Mist has a bit of sentience to it, so yes, but there are a bunch of different things going on. On one hand, you've got, right up to the end, Preservation's Cognitive Shadow still around doing stuff, basically still there, so that's preventing it. It's just a very different situation.

source

Catherine

Does the metal on [Scadrial] contain within it any sort of spren-like being, or anything similar to that, and also, does the splintered nature of the Shards on [Sel] have anything to do with how the magic manifests itself without a physical representation?

Brandon Sanderson

Scadrial did not have an analogous, self-aware invested set of entities. The power has to be "let go of" in a way.

source

IDK why they placed the add. It might (really big might, but my current best guess) have something to do with Awakening

appreciate the answer shqueeves I was hoping maybe K or N had left some clues because, I would like to see some scadrians on other worlds as they were my doorway to the cosmere.

However, In that line of thought couldn't it be said that the metal did take on sentience in the form of mistings, mistborn, and feruchemists (really all humans on scadrial) as those who have ascended often have trouble looking at both metal and to a lesser extent humans because their souls are the same as the metal?

Could also be a reference to the Shards speaking through the metal, the way Ruin does in Era 1.  Maybe they are looking for people being directly influenced by Shards in some way.  Though I suppose that only really applies or spikes...

Edited by Dunkum

On 5/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, Loialty loailty loailty said:

appreciate the answer shqueeves I was hoping maybe K or N had left some clues because, I would like to see some scadrians on other worlds as they were my doorway to the cosmere.

Well... I don't want to spoil you, because I don't know what you've read... But we've seen two people from Scadrial off world already. 

What have you read? 

On 5/27/2018 at 10:59 PM, Calderis said:

Well... I don't want to spoil you, because I don't know what you've read... But we've seen two people from Scadrial off world already. 

What have you read? 

I haven't read elantris, SLA, white sands, or warbreaker but I have read both eras of mistborn and the arcanum unbounded. Im about to start SLA, but i spoiled myself by being on here and found out that demoux I believe is off world. I'm excited to get through the rest of the cosmere. I have really enjoyed sanderson's writing most of all the little background stuff he has dropped in, so i am excited to see people i know off world as i get into the rest of the cosmere. I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of Sixth of the Dusk in the cosmere his story was short but i thought it was really good and i liked both the characters in that short.