strengthening buff

Housedunn

In general terms, Stormlight provides more than A-Pewter (including much better healing) but the allomantic effect is far more controllable. It's kind of hard to test which would be 'stronger' in absolute terms based on observations of the current books, since Rosharans are much larger than most humans in the Cosmere and their world has lower gravity which throws comparisons off. Shardplate is sort of in its own league but we can compare it to someone infused with Stormlight thanks to the very beginning of Way of Kings. Szeth gets backhanded by the Plate-wearing Gavilar and notes that he'd be very dead if he didn't have Stormlight. By contrast, we see in WoR that a Stormlight-boosted Kaladin using Gravitation to enhance his kick was only able to damage a section of Relis' Plate (already noted to have some cracks from Adolin) and he broke both of his legs doing it.

So yeah, of the options you listed I'd say Shardplate provides the biggest boost to raw strength, then we're not sure about the relative strength buffs of Stormlight and A-Pewter but the former does more in addition to strength while the latter is more controllable. That one could go either way, I think.

I can't provide the quote but... It's stated in one if the 3 Stormlight novels that Stormlight does not enhance strength.

As I replay Kaladin & Seth's battles in my head, I can't think of a single example if it doing so.

That said, please mind the difference in healing, stamina & altering weights, which it certainly does effect. 

7 minutes ago, Toby_H said:

I can't provide the quote but... It's stated in one if the 3 Stormlight novels that Stormlight does not enhance strength.

As I replay Kaladin & Seth's battles in my head, I can't think of a single example if it doing so.

That said, please mind the difference in healing, stamina & altering weights, which it certainly does effect. 

Kaladin notes a few times that stormlight doesn't significantly increase strength, but that it does a bit.

Stormlight roughly increases strength 1.5-2x. I've actually compiled a list of relevant quotes comparing the two in order to solve this debate once and for all, but I've yet to decide whether to post it here or on Reddit. Anyway a good indication of the radiants strength is that they rarely do anything strength wise that could be considered superhuman.

Then you'll fit right in with most military cooks. Come on, let's get you back to the others." Kaladin strained, getting his arms under Hobber, trying to lift him.

His body would have none of it. He let out an involuntary groan, putting Hobber back down.

"It's all right, sir," Hobber said.

"No," Kaladin said, sucking in the Light of one of the spheres in the lamp. "It's not." He heaved again, lifting Hobber, then carried him back toward the others.

"The drop was a good hundred feet…… He'd dropped half that once before, filled with stormlight and had landed without trouble. "

That was all Kaladin heard. His Stormlight-aided leap let him get higher than an ordinary man could probably have managed, but his aim was off. He got hold of the pommel and threw one leg over. But the horse started thrashing.

So the first quote quite clearly shows it increases strength, the second one shows that although it is not an insignificant strength increase it's not enough for kaladin to definitively say his feat in jumping is greater then an ordinary man could manage. Seeing as the horse appears to be thoroughbred and that are at most 170 cm in height kaladin probably doesn't jump over a metre in height otherwise he wouldn't have had to grab hold of the pommel and throw a leg over. He could have just bent a leg and landed on the saddle sitting. Also jumping over a metre in height is starting to be quite obviously superhuman so there's that too.

There's other instances of strength increases but i'm not going to list them all.

now on to pewter 

The powerful blow tossed her across the street, and she collided with a shop’s wooden door

landed on the cross guard of her sword and leaped off it. The koloss showed that same, characteristic surprise as it saw her leap thirteen feet into the air, leg drawn back, tasseled mistcloak flapping.

She kicked the koloss directly in the side of the head. The skull cracked. Koloss were inhumanly tough, but her flared pewter was enough.

Weapon met weapon in the blazing village, metal ringing like a forge under the hammer, and Elend stood his ground, matching strength with a monster twice his height.

So given the above quotes and pewters ability to allow people to run as faster or faster then a horse (which is 50km + about 2-3x the average sprint speed of a person) pewter likely increases strength by a factor of 5-10x. It will vary person to person though because in the case of a lerasium mistborn seeing as they are capable of stopping a koloss blow they are likely 15-20x as strong as normal and that's a conservative estimate. The koloss by virtue of being twice as big as normal must be 8x as heavy by virtue of the cubed square law and since they have shown reasonable jumping capabilities and survived falls from reasonable height they are likely at least 2x stronger on top of that. Combine that with the fact koloss will have all there weight behind the swing of a sword at similar speed 15-20x as strong isn't unreasonable.

Lerasium mistborn aren't more then 2x as strong as they haven't been shown to be able to pierce copper clouds so hence a normal mistborn being half strength. i'm not entirely sure on the strength of plate but this quote gives an idea.

Gavilar punched with his off hand slamming his gauntleted fist into Szeth's face........He was on the wooden balcony; the force of the blow had thrown him through the doors.

So for the punch delivered above, the end result sounds quite similar to the blow the pewter thug delivers to Vin. So given that the thug had the use of two hands and the plate bearer only had one i'm going to say he is half as strong. That would mean a lerasium mistborn and a man in plate are roughly equivalent in strength, with a normal mistborn being being half that strength.

So lets double check that by comparing jump heights and accounting for the weight of plate. Plate probably weighs 200-300 lbs, enough that your going to find it extremely difficult to move in. So seeing as there's a scene where Dalinar jumps 8 feet which is about equivalent to 6 feet in normal gravity that means if you take away the suit which is at least his weight he would be capable of jumping 12-15 feet. We see Vin jump 10 feet in a leap so it's not unreasonable to suggest a lerasium mistborn could jump 12-15 feet if they wanted. So these results are roughly the same as above and indicate plate and lerasium are on par with normal misting being half as strong (remember vin is stronger then normal hence her jump not being that close to half).

So in summary plate>/= to pewter which is > stormlight.

So basically it depends with regards to pewter and plate and stormlight is a distant third.

So which one is strongest? feruchemy clearly.

By the way if your discussing Allomancy you might want to state whether spoilers are allowed or move it to a different forum.

Edited by Oblivion

On 5/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, Oblivion said:

Lerasium mistborn aren't more then 2x as strong as they haven't been shown to be able to pierce copper clouds so hence a normal mistborn being half strength. i'm not entirely sure on the strength of plate but this quote gives an idea.

Wasn't TLR a Lerasium Mistborn? He could definitely pierce copperclouds of ordinary mistings/mistborn, so is this just a feature of Rashek being an extremely practiced Allomancer (Probably a Savant as well) or could a Lerasium mistborn pierce ordinary copperclouds as well and Elend just never was put in a situation in which he had to try?

11 minutes ago, Slimy_Slider said:

Wasn't TLR a Lerasium Mistborn?

The Lord Ruler did not use Lerasium. He rebuilt himself with the power of the Well of Ascension, which put him a good step above a mere Lerasium Mistborn.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:56 AM, Oblivion said:

Lerasium mistborn aren't more then 2x as strong as they haven't been shown to be able to pierce copper clouds

Slimy_Slider is correct that not being shown ≠ cannot happen.

Questioner
So can bronze savants pierce Copperclouds?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, a bronze savant should be able to pierce copperclouds. It depends on the strengths of the Coppercloud and the strength of the savant, but yes.

Questioner
So Elend could theoretically learn to pierce Copperclouds?

Brandon Sanderson
Weaker ones, yeah, totally. He can learn how to do it by brute force.

16 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Lord Ruler did not use Lerasium. He rebuilt himself with the power of the Well of Ascension, which put him a good step above a mere Lerasium Mistborn.

I may be misremebereing but I though I've seen it mentioned somewhere that at the start of TLR's reign the people he turned into mistborn with the leraisuim where equally as powerful allomancers as him. 

On 5/28/2018 at 0:13 PM, Doomdrinker said:

I may be misremebereing but I though I've seen it mentioned somewhere that at the start of TLR's reign the people he turned into mistborn with the leraisuim where equally as powerful allomancers as him. 

Elend would have to use Duralumin in order to replicate TLR's mass soothing. Elend is a Lerasium Mistborn. It seems pretty clear that he was stronger

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
There's an upper bound to the amount of power you can get from being a savant. Brandon said that, obviously, the Lord Ruler wasn't using duralumin and Elend could only get that powerful in Soothing using duralumin.

Edited by The One Who Connects

• Chaos locked this topic