[OB] Justified racism on Roshar and elsewhere

Llarimar

I think we've gone off topic again.... Isn't there a general discussion page you guys could take some of these topics? Linguistics, oppression and prejudice are good topics to discuss, but I kinda came here to talk about things taking place in a fictional world and theorize in regards to fiction....

Just saying. :)

14 hours ago, Obnoxiousspren said:

I think we've gone off topic again.... Isn't there a general discussion page you guys could take some of these topics? Linguistics, oppression and prejudice are good topics to discuss, but I kinda came here to talk about things taking place in a fictional world and theorize in regards to fiction....

Just saying. :)

Seconded.

So just trying to get things back on topic what do all of you think about the Voidbringers. Are they justified in waging war on the rest of Roshar?

Personally I find this one of the most fascinating parts of the series, at first their justifications seem reasonable: the humans invaded took our homes and enslaved us, we are the natives of Roshar we should ensure that they will never be able to harm us again.

However WOB and Oathbringer both have already poked several holes in their justifications There were two especially big one's that I noticed. First off we know from WOB that the first wave of humans (Horneaters, Herdazians and possibly others) turned up long before the first Desolation and even crossbred with the listeners so they have a valid claim to their homes, yet from what Rocks wife tells us the Voidbringers are implied to have taken over the peaks. Second in Oathbringer we find that the Aimians who as far as we know are also Natives of Roshar fought on the side of the Radiant's so why would the voidbringers stand against their fellow Rosharians if their cause was justified.

I think Odium and the Desolations are collectively a metaphor for the way that history and cultural baggage wind up prolonging, or even restoring to life, pointless destructive conflicts that began before anyone in the world was even alive. The Fused are literally the angry dead, taking over the lives of the young so they can prosecute their ancient grudge. So much of what we become seems to be determined by things that happened, and actions that were taken, before we even existed. We drop into reality and we find that we're responsible for atrocities somehow, because our ancestors did them but only we are alive to stand in for them because we resemble them. People are born innocent but the cultures and societies that form the basis of their identity can label them as oppressors, or victims.

If there is a single cohesive theme to the Stormlight Archive so far, it seems to be the theme of atoning with the past. It seems almost impossible to just drop it, but that makes it really hard to move forward.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, Unhinged said:

Seconded.

So just trying to get things back on topic what do all of you think about the Voidbringers. Are they justified in waging war on the rest of Roshar?

Personally I find this one of the most fascinating parts of the series, at first their justifications seem reasonable: the humans invaded took our homes and enslaved us, we are the natives of Roshar we should ensure that they will never be able to harm us again.

However WOB and Oathbringer both have already poked several holes in their justifications There were two especially big one's that I noticed. First off we know from WOB that the first wave of humans (Horneaters, Herdazians and possibly others) turned up long before the first Desolation and even crossbred with the listeners so they have a valid claim to their homes, yet from what Rocks wife tells us the Voidbringers are implied to have taken over the peaks. Second in Oathbringer we find that the Aimians who as far as we know are also Natives of Roshar fought on the side of the Radiant's so why would the voidbringers stand against their fellow Rosharians if their cause was justified.

In Azir, the Voidbringers are suing the Azish for using them as slaves, so they clearly have other possible actions. The Voidbringers that are attacking are generally from areas with cultures that promoted going to war as solutions. By this point, I think the best solution, morally, might be for the Voidbringers to form their own countries, or be integrated into the countries that they've worked in as full citizens, but that's probably not going to happen immediately.

• Chaos locked this topic