Those of you who've been to signings... help!

Pechvarry

I'm looking to go to one of Brandon's signings next week, and it's a ticketed event. My wife wants to come too. The problem is, she's still reading The Way of Kings! There's no way she'll finish it and WoR in time.  

So I think these events go something like open Q&A, a reading, and then the line with signings.  Should I expect WoR spoilers in this open Q&A portion?  Is it wise to hold my Cosmere questions for the signing line?  Am I going to be really mad at myself if I'm a bit late?  And how do I show the receipt of books purchased if I can't buy books from the store online?

At the signings I've been to, Brandon has been considerate about not giving out too many spoilers for his current book, but if your wife hasn't finished WoK by then, she might get spoilers for that one.  Also, not all questioners are so considerate, so some of the questions asked may be spoilers for WoR.

Cosmere questions are fine for the open Q&A portion.

Whether you're mad at yourself for being a bit late depends on what you mean by a "a bit", and how much of a fanatic you are.  The one signing that I've been at (going to another today) didn't get started exactly on time, and the beginning part was general announcements about how things would be working for that signing.  So if you're only a few minutes late, you probably won't miss much, but you probably won't get a very good seat either.

I've never been to a ticketed signing, so I can't answer your last question.

It is generally frowned upon to ask spoilery questions during the open Q&A (for any book), I know Brandon doesn't like people getting spoiled.  As for holding your cosmere questions, as long as they aren't spoilery you could ask them, but your best bet is the line for getting them answered.

As for that last bit, your best bet would be to call the store and ask them.

Is the signing portion typically held in a portion of the store for ticketed events?  Because that would explain it -- come, shop, buy book, then walk over to the signing area and show my fresh receipt.  But if it's "get checked at the door," it'll be a bit awkward.  "Hey, if you let me in I promise I'll go shopping before I talk to that dude over there."

I think my wife could be done with Way of Kings if she pulls herself away from Mass Effect.

Edited by Pechvarry

Each store organizes those things differently. Small bookstores usually let you in on good faith. Big ones, such as Barnes & Noble, usually require you to purchase the book the event is for (so Words of Radiance) before the actual signing. When you do, they give you a ticket stapled to your receipt, and you use that receipt to reach Brandon. You can attend and listen to him talk during the general Q&A and reading parts, but if you want to go up to him, you need a ticket. Either that, or you agree to wait at the end of the line, after all the people with tickets.

I called the bookstore at the DC signing (the 20th) and they said it was a ticketed event.   Is that the event you are going to you?  They told me that you could buy WoR online and bring the receipt.  Finished my Kindle version and am formulating my questions... 

This is my first signing, so I appreciate reading about what to expect..