Is hoid aware that he's a fictional character?

Jehoiada

The reason I ask this question is because in WoK when Kaladin meets hoid for the first time and asked his name. 

Hoid says this "I have many, I began life as a thought, a conept, words on a page, that was another thing I stole myself"

I'd like to think that he's aware that none of this is technically real, its just for our entertainment. So thats how he lives his life goofy to please us, mysterious to intrigue us. Tries to live his life in the best way he can (in his universe). Kinda like the Joker in the batman comic books, it was later disclosed that the reason the joker was so crazy was because he new his universe was fake so it really didnt matter if he blew up alot of people because it wasnt real. Except Hoids the opposite he tries to live the best he can under the circumstances, even though it's not real to us its life to him.

Please give me your thoughts and opinions. Please don't take this as my way or the highway remember this is just theory.

Brandon says that Hoid means it literally, and that it's not a reference that breaks the fourth wall.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Does Wit have another name apart from Wit?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Wit has many other names. Cephandrius is him.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What's his real name?

He does... have a real name, but he would argue that they're all real names.

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

What's one that isn't Cephandrius or Midius?

Hoid. *laughter* Topaz.

Aurimus [PENDING REVIEW]

When he says he's named after a rock that's a reference to Topaz?

Yes that's referencing the topaz. And the other thing that he references with... When he says he's named after words on a page that is not breaking the fourth wall... It's not even winking at it. Nope... It's quite literal. Yes, that is quite literal.

source

Edited by RShara

33 minutes ago, Quell said:

I noticed that too. So he was literally born from a book. Is this maybe how all Shard holders were born? Or something peculiar on Yolen? I assume I'll get RAFO'd if I ask Brandon.

I think just Hoid.

This is super interesting... I wonder if this is how Hoid is able to gain all of his powers and worldhop so easily. Maybe it’s written into his storyline...

Another comment about the worldhopping... maybe that’s how he does it, and why he seems to thrive in the Cognitive Realm. The “Cognitive Realm” literally means “a realm of thought.” What if he pops in and out of existence every time he visits? This would not be true for every worldhopper, but Hoid seems to fare better than most in that Realm.

Maybe that’s a little far-fetched, but it’s definitely interesting to think about...

Edited by Ashspren
I made a typo: I wrote “worldshopping” instead of “worldhopping.” Seems like something the Shards might have done when they first got their powers... “Hey guys, we’re basically gods now. Let’s go worldshopping!”

He's Hoid, making enigmatic statements that may contain the secret of Life, the Cosmere and Everything (or may just be intended to drive us bonkers) is what he does.

Feel free to substitute 'Brandon' for 'Hoid' as appropriate.

I would absolutely hate it if that was the case, and I'm glad we know it's not. I read my books for escapism, and if it was linked back into reality that would ruin the entire thing for me. Breaking the fourth wall can work but I don't think it would in this case. I personally think meta stuff like breaking the fourth wall is stupid, even from an objective standpoint I can't see any reason to do it, other than in a less serious comedic sense, such as in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

48 minutes ago, JoelyWoely said:

I would absolutely hate it if that was the case, and I'm glad we know it's not. I read my books for escapism, and if it was linked back into reality that would ruin the entire thing for me. Breaking the fourth wall can work but I don't think it would in this case. I personally think meta stuff like breaking the fourth wall is stupid, even from an objective standpoint I can't see any reason to do it, other than in a less serious comedic sense, such as in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

He definitely didn't break the fourth wall, so you're good :)

• Chaos locked this topic