Nahel bond

SecondPlace

I have a some questions about a nahel bond.

can a person have multiple nahel bonds at one time, for example a cryptic and a Honor spren.

Can a spren have a nahel bond with multiple people.

how does a spren know who and where to go to form a nahel bond.

did honor create the nahel bonds or did they already exist.

32 minutes ago, The_WindRunner said:

can a person have multiple nahel bonds at one time, for example a cryptic and a Honor spren.

There is a Wob that says yes, but it would be dangerous as it would be hard to keep all the oaths as they sometimes contradict 

Edited by Skip Hates Dragons

2 hours ago, The_WindRunner said:

I have a some questions about a nahel bond.

As @Skip Hates Dragons said 

Questioner

Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have? Be bonded to?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can limit bound that.. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade. 

Questioner

So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, those Shardblades... Can you be bonded to more than one spren? That question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

source

Questioner

The Nahel bond, what determines whether you get a Cryptic or an honorspren?

Brandon Sanderson

The spren themselves.

Questioner

So it doesn't have to do with the Orders of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

If you match, you have to attract the spren, the same way you attract emotionspren, you have to attract the right spren for the Order.

source

Questioner (paraphrased)

How do spren choose what human they'll bond with?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Well, it depends on the spren type. There's some spren that choose on their own, while there's other spren where it's done by committee. Wyndle, Lift's spren was placed with Lift by a committee. It's a culture difference. Some are free-spirited, others more organized.

source

4 hours ago, The_WindRunner said:

I don't believe we have an answer(nor do I think we've even asked Brandon about this). Personally, I say no.
Edit: I should probably explain why I think that. I feel like one Spren bonding multiple individuals would defeat the purpose of Squires having to attract a Spren of their own. KR also need their Spren close in order to use their powers, so one Spren bonding multiple people would resign them to being on a team for every mission or having to deal with "my turn to use the powers" like squabbling children.

The same way fearspren and gloryspren know where to go. They are drawn to the proper emotions/phenomena.

Mandi
In [Words of Radiance] Shallan notes that spren don't appear around dense groups of people, even if emotions are high. Why is that?

Brandon Sanderson
You'll find out more eventually. There are several reasons, but imagine how a creature attracted to a specific color would respond if you dumped every color together in a big mess.

The Parshendi provide us with a great example of this, as they talk about needing the "proper mindset" to attract a Spren to change Forms. They need to be exhibiting the proper emotions to attract the right Spren(which is why they can't get any Creationspren for Artform. They know what Spren they need, but not how to attract it)

As Kidpen said, the Nahel Bond as we currently know it(IE: the KR) came about because of Spren trying to replicate the Honorblades. Tanavast/Honor(through the Stormfather) tells Dalinar something to the tune of "I did not teach my Heralds this."

Although the KR happened for this reason, I am no longer entirely sure of the Nahel Bond itself did due to something that may/mayn't be implied by Oathbringer Spoilers.

Edited by The One Who Connects

• Chaos locked this topic