Adolin's Spren

Gyth

Oh yeah. So those words were probably just Adolin's thoughts.

But that still doesn't account for whatever mysteriously told him to duck at the right exact moment.

I think the "duck" was more his combat reflexes. Kind of a, what do you do when fighting an inhuman assassin that has just distracted you and disappeared? Duck! When Adolin saw Szeth was gone, he knew an unseen attack was probably already incoming.

I think the concept of Adolin's Blade waking up in response to his actions is awesome, and definitely foreshadowed fairly heavily throughout WoR. The only conflicting evidence is that when it's described - eel-like, with crystals decorating the backside - is a perfect description of what Wyndle would look like if here were a Blade. Additionally, there are plenty of mention of other Shardblades having flame-like patterns, presumably from the flamespren-like Dustbringers. So, if Adolin's Blade were to wake up, it would almost certainly put him among the Edgedancers.

Now, how well does he fit that order? Well, we don't know, because we don't know much about them. All we know is that back in the day they were the most "refined" of the orders. Which is a complete contradiction with what he know of Lift, who is anything but. She's also the stereotypical "thief with a heart of gold" character, which arguably means the Edgedancers weren't too focused on legal niceties. So, overall, Adolin isn't disqualified from the Edgedancers, but doesn't seem like a shoo-in either.

On the other hand, he does seem pretty well matched for the Dustbringers. He's certainly brave, and his focus on dueling and fighting is in line with the focus the Dustbringers most likely had. Additionally, he has some issues with obedience, and from what we've seen of both Kaladin and Shallan, they've had some problems with their Secondary Divine Attributes of Leadership and Honesty. For Adolin to have problems with Obedience argues pretty well for being among the Dustbringers.

So, which will it be? Only 2 years until we (maybe) find out.

When Dalinar bonded Stormfather at the end, he specifically states something like "I will not give you ShardS" and you must give up THAT Blade.

That was Shards as in plural!

I agree that Adolin has an excellent chance of "awakening" his blades Spren. But I think that he needs 2 or 3 things - depending on how you look at it.

1. He needs a complete Set (The Same Shardblade and Matching Shardplate)

2. Not just talk to his Blade (Talking is good), but he needs also to give the Matching Oaths for that KR Type.

I think that Shallan, now that she has finished her last KR step, will have her Shardplate.

Kal still has Issues (the slave brands) before his Shardplate will appear.

3. Adolin killing Sadeas, also may be his "breaking" that is required for him to bond with a Spren.

What Adolin did was not "honerable" but that would only block an Honor Spren. (but all the characters have done BAD things before they bonded). I thought that Adolin would be going the "Justice" route but from what I read above - was obviously wrong.

I do not see him as an Edgedancer, so I guess it will be the Dustbringer.

I think the concept of Adolin's Blade waking up in response to his actions is awesome, and definitely foreshadowed fairly heavily throughout WoR. The only conflicting evidence is that when it's described - eel-like, with crystals decorating the backside - is a perfect description of what Wyndle would look like if here were a Blade. Additionally, there are plenty of mention of other Shardblades having flame-like patterns, presumably from the flamespren-like Dustbringers. So, if Adolin's Blade were to wake up, it would almost certainly put him among the Edgedancers.

Now, how well does he fit that order? Well, we don't know, because we don't know much about them. All we know is that back in the day they were the most "refined" of the orders. Which is a complete contradiction with what he know of Lift, who is anything but. She's also the stereotypical "thief with a heart of gold" character, which arguably means the Edgedancers weren't too focused on legal niceties. So, overall, Adolin isn't disqualified from the Edgedancers, but doesn't seem like a shoo-in either.

On the other hand, he does seem pretty well matched for the Dustbringers. He's certainly brave, and his focus on dueling and fighting is in line with the focus the Dustbringers most likely had. Additionally, he has some issues with obedience, and from what we've seen of both Kaladin and Shallan, they've had some problems with their Secondary Divine Attributes of Leadership and Honesty. For Adolin to have problems with Obedience argues pretty well for being among the Dustbringers.

So, which will it be? Only 2 years until we (maybe) find out.

+1 i could not agree more :)

I feel like Brandon has a knack for hiding people's intentions and true colors right in front of of faces. Adolin wanting to murder Sadeas sin WoK might be more telling of his morals than anything else. I personally am worried about it, as it was not honorable and seemed out of place for his "persona" which we have had small indications of being a facade. The example that comes to mind is when he is at the wine house with Shallan and he smiles and it is described as a real smile, like he is usually hiding. I don't know, I could be grasping, but I feel like it was not a good sign for Adolin in the way he murdered Sadeas.

It's practically unanimous now. Adolin will revive his Shardblade, get a spren and become a Knight Radiant.

I don't believe that the whole vine-y appearance of the blade, and the likely type of spren he gets immediately decides what Order he'll be joining. What happens then to KR that bind more than one spren? (possible according to WoB)

It's always about the person's qualities. He's a very obedient son, and I think he'll be a great Dustbringer.

1. Adolin has lots of good reason why he should kill Sadeas.

2. Adolin has wanted to kill Sadeas for a very long time.

3. Dalinar agrees that Sadeas must pay for everything.

4. Sadeas himself set up the perfect opportunity.

5. Sadeas goaded Adolin to the snapping point.

6. It wasn't an unfair fight. They were unarmed save a single knife between them. Sadeas is a fat, old bastard and Adolin is still injured.

If you think about it, the singular bad part here is he didn't do it according to the law and he will likely get away with it.

Edited by Jeiel

If you think about it, the singular bad part here is he didn't do it according to the law and he will likely get away with it.

No, the singular bad part is that he killed him.  There is no situation where killing someone is a good option.  Sometimes it's the right option - sometimes it's the only option.  But that doesn't make it good.

Irregardless of the relative morality of his actions, I don't think that Adolin actually solved the problem Sadeas presented.  Sadeas's wife and allies are still around to continue opposing Dalinar & co, and now they don't have an obvious leader to keep track of, making them that much more dangerous.  And if Adolin is ever traced back to the murder, it will open yet another host of problems.  And Adolin runs the risk of martyring Sadeas on top of that!  I think that if I thought it was a sound tactical decision I would say Adolin made the right choice (maybe).  But as it is, I think he made the wrong one.

But the tactics of his decision have little to do with Adolin's spren, so I'm off topic.

Back on topic.  I think it's interesting that Adolin's chapter picture shows him (I assume it's him anyways) holding his shardblade in one hand.  From what I recall, the only one-handed form is Flamestance, which, coincidentally, would be associated with the Dustbringers.  Which is rather interesting, as Adolin has said that he prefers Windstance.

Wyndle manifests as vines with little crystals embedded in them, while Edgedancers are associated with the essence of crystal.  It wouldn't surprise me if all of the Cultivation oriented spren had some viney aspect in addition to their essence.  Heck, do we know for a fact that one type of spren can't bond with multiple Orders?

• Chaos locked this topic