[OB] Cities with Cymatic Patterns are Spaceships

MarShadow

In WoK Kasbal brings up cymatic patterns to try to bring Jasnah to the conclusion that she should join Vorinisim. That got my father and I thinking, and if sand on a plate could vibrate and create patterns, then why wouldn't stone and rubble on an iron core be affected as well? We didn't know why the patterns were on the ground but, The cities would need to vibrate immensely to move mountains into patterns. This would destroy the cities too, and so, the cities couldn't be on the ground.

On Ashyn, most people live on huge floating cities because of the great catalyst that forced humans to Roshar. Sadly at the moment, we don't know what runs these ships, but we can assume they vibrated. And thus cymatics come into play. The patterns around certain cities said to be made by the Almighty could be made by the different floating cities. But these cities were also said to be made by... The Almighty.  Supposedly, using the Cognitive realm, a few floating cities could slip from Ashyn to Roshar and land, thus bringing the peoples of Ashyn to the planet of Roshar. 

Kolinar's Windblades, and Sesemalex Dar's patterns could be the results of the floating cities. Urithiru may be an intact floating city, as it looks like a space ship but it may not be.

Post comments and thoughts below.

Edited by MarShadow

Urithiru is not a space ship :)

JoeST [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Urithiru a spaceship?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It is not, no, good question. I've never been asked that before. It's very Sim City, though.

JoeST [PENDING REVIEW]

It's a new theory, they're thinking, is it one of the floating cities from--

From Ashyn, yeah. Boy, that would be hard, it is so big. But, I suppose, magic, you know. But no, it is not...

source

Also, Brandon currently has it that humans came to Roshar through the Spiritual Realm, if he can get the physics to work.  So they are not likely how the cities were shaped.  In addition, the 10 Cymatic cities would have been made long after humans came to Roshar from Ashyn, since they were originally only given Shinovar to live in.  Or they existed before humans invaded and took over them.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work.

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct... When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

source

Also note that humans were not originally "of Honor", so he couldn't have made it for them before the First Desolation.

(oh, and might want to put [OB] in front of the title, as you deal with humans coming from Ashyn, which is technically an Oathbringer spoiler even if it was figured out on the forums already (though it might have been from the sample chapters...))

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Cities with Cymatic Patterns are Spaceships
  • Chaos locked this topic