How is Rock's true name pronounced

16 hours ago, Elandera said:

I've always found the Horneater language to be very Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. Those languages tend to have only one sound per letter, and nearly every letter is pronounced. It's very phonetic.

These languages do have dipthongs also.  "ai" - pronounced as eye being a common one that's used here.

Au is another, pronounced kind of like "ahw".  Think Maui, it's Mahw-ee, not Mah-ooh-ee :)

Edit: another "Ei" pronounced ey. Hei-hei is hey-hey, not Heh-ee-heh-ee

Edit edit: you can sometimes pick the dipthongs from the double vowels by the lack of the apostrophe to indicate glottal stop.

Edited by Snorkel

1 minute ago, Snorkel said:

These languages do have dipthongs also.  "ai" - pronounced as eye being a common one that's used here.

Au is another, pronounced kind of like "ahw".  Think Maui, it's Mahw-ee, not Mah-ooh-ee :)

It is based on those languages. 

isotopes_ftw

I've always pictured Rock and the Unkalaki / Horneaters as Pacific Islanders. Are they based on Pacific Islanders despite their red hair?

Brandon Sanderson

Their linguistics and some parts of their culture are based on Pacific Islanders, though their physical characteristics are not.

source

When I first read the book, the way Rock spoke I heard a Russian accent... Then he said his name and it was as it should have been all along. 

• Chaos locked this topic