[OB] Tor Weekly Release Method

Zelly

I see your poll and I raise you 3 chapters.  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know about the online chapters releases?

• Yep.
    • Wait, what?
  2. 2. Did you read them or wait for the whole book?

• Shamelessly spam refreshed the webpage on Tuesdays
    • Started a few chapters, then refrained
    • Waited for the full release with the persistence of a stick
    • Number 1, plus bought the kindle version at midnight, then the hardbound the next day because I got issues, but you got em too.
  3. 3. Did you like the release of the early chapters.

• YES loved it!
    • It was okay, didn't really care either way
    • Didn't like it, thought it was a bad idea for reading continuity, possible spoilers, etc (tell us in a post)

I wasn't part of the 17th Shard when Tor was doing it's OB Tuesday pre-release chapters online, but I was reading them as I assume many of you were.

I really, really, reallllllly liked them. It helped me slow through a book. And not choose reading > sleep.

What was it like here?  Were you all allowed to discuss the chapters on the spoiler board as they came out?  If so, I like the the concept even more.  It's like a book club gathering.  Nobody's knowledge is overwhelming the others and the conversation tends to be highly focused on that particular week's offerings.

Edit: Ran out of poll questions:  Would you read an ENTIRE book this way?  Specifically, would you read one of Brandon's doorstops novels this way?

Edited by Zellyia

I agree. It was fun to experience part 1 at the same pace as everyone else. The discussion both here and at tor.com was something I looked forward to every week, and I felt myself missing it when it was over. 

There's something to be said for being forced to slow down and savor every chapter like that. It's something I had never really experienced before. (I tend to binge read/watch when I am really engaged with storytelling of any kind)

Knew about it, thought it was a neat idea in theory but as a personal choice I decided to wait for the complete book so it was kind of torture seeing new material come out every week and resisting the urge to check it out. If Brandon does it again, I might just take the plunge and read at least some of the chapters.

And yeah, I would be willing to read an entire brick book in this format if Brandon wanted to do an all-digital initial release with print version to follow (again that is, but I wasn't yet a reader of his the first time). Given what he's said about his plans for Nightblood, I'll get that chance eventually.

Edited by Weltall

I wasn't on the shard back then, and it was the experience of reading the comments that made me hunt out this forum.

I loved it! I enjoyed the anticipation, I don't know if Brandon writes with the slow release in mind but it felt like each week ended on a cliff-hanger.

But I was also glad to gobble up the rest in one go :)

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Tor Weekly Release Method

The thing I like about the weekly sneak peaks is that it's the (mostly) finalized version, and it's being released from the beginning. I've always viewed them similar to a weekly TV show where you get a bit of the story, then have to wait a week to see the next part. It was really fun to speculate on things from week to week, although the overwhelming size of some threads was daunting when coming to them even a bit late.

My favorite was the scene with Mraize in Ialai's room during the meeting. It lined up so the last part of the reading for one week was just "And Mraize was there". And everyone was flipping out trying to figure out how Ialai was connected to the Ghostbloods. Was she a subordinate or a superior of Mraize? Turns out, Mraize was just there keeping an eye on her for some random Ghostblood reason.

• Chaos locked this topic