How easily could a pulser skip 400 years?

poww10s

Does anyone know how easily it would be for a pulser to skip 400 years? In the end of Alloy of Law it seems that the night passed pretty fast. If they just layed down and waited, how would they be able to skip ahead that far, without a crazy amount of cadium? do we know?

Well, in AoL we see that from the moment marasi activated the bubble, a few minutes passed, while on the outside iit was several hours. So we can assume a time dilatation factor of roughly 100. that would mean that to skip 400 years you'd need to stay 4 years (or 2, or 8; this is an approximated calculation) inside a bubble.

Not impossible, but not easy. even if cadmium burns slowly, it would require loads of it, and you can't store enough food inside the bubble, and if you store it outside it will probably spoil after a few decades, no matter how well preserved. and there's no telling how much the world around you can change.

Why you say specifically 400 years?

Not impossible, but not easy. even if cadmium burns slowly, it would require loads of it, and you can't store enough food inside the bubble, and if you store it outside it will probably spoil after a few decades, no matter how well preserved. and there's no telling how much the world around you can change.

Fortunately, there's duralumin! Also, nicrosil. I think that it would be very easy to skip forward hundreds of years with a good sized bag of cadmium dust and one of those two metals. Which, regarding Brandon's comments about characters skipping forwards, makes me very interested to see if Spook will be making a return.

• 2 weeks later...

The trick is to not die somehow during that time. Between human nature, natural disasters, as well as Shardic stuff happening, it wouldn't be a guaranteed success.

that makes me think...

suppose you dug a hole in the ground to get a safe place for the cadmium burn. You say goodbye to your loved ones, pack plenty of metal and some food because even with cadmium+duraluminium it will probably take at least a few days, close the hole (you dug your pit wide enough to make sure you can breath for the duration of the thing) and start burning.

THen, 100 years later, someone make some works for the new subway, or to place the basement of some building, and uncover you burning cadmium and duraluminium. Now, the workers not being assassins, they want to ask you to kindly move elsewhere so they can keep working. But hw can they interact with you? If they talk from outside the bubble you cannot hear them. If one of them come into the bubble to speak with you, in the minute it takes to ask you to stop burning several months to a few years will pass on the outside; and that's not mentioning if you instead of complying start arguing. Yes, maybe you'll figure out something is wrong when suddenly your cave is filled with sunlight (actually, it would probably be an intermittent light with a period of a few seconds because of the alternation of day and night), but if instead you just keep burning, is there any practical way they can contact you?

Note: I'm thinking they may just drop a note inside the bubble. But chances are in those centuries language changed enough that it's not guaranteed you'll be able to understand it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I know what I'm asking brandon next signing :D  I'll have to wait till Fireflight to come out before he comes east again though....

I really hope that Spook comes back, he was probably my favorite semi-main character.

If I were a Mistborn wanting to travel to the future...

I would probably do it high up, probably. A Duralumin push off the highest thing I could find, and then, being fairly comfortable that with the increasing rarity of Mistborn and ignorance to any other way of getting that high, I would quickly down my cadmium and duralumin and burn. When finished, drop a coin, land softly with plenty of time to react (unless they've invented planes by then in which you've been quite the idiot) and rinse and repeat till you get... Whatever it is you exactly want.

If I were a Mistborn wanting to travel to the future...

I would probably do it high up, probably. A Duralumin push off the highest thing I could find, and then, being fairly comfortable that with the increasing rarity of Mistborn and ignorance to any other way of getting that high, I would quickly down my cadmium and duralumin and burn. When finished, drop a coin, land softly with plenty of time to react (unless they've invented planes by then in which you've been quite the idiot) and rinse and repeat till you get... Whatever it is you exactly want.

You've broken my brain. Ow. I just had to consider the implications of the planet rotating while time is slowed down in your vicinity and the effects on air pressure again and also gravity and why light doesn't pile up and blind you when you use Allomantic cadmium, and ow ow ow my brain.

I'm running away from this topic. Time bubbles and Feruchemical iron are the bane of my existence.

Edited by Moogle

You've broken my brain. Ow. I just had to consider the implications of the planet rotating while time is slowed down in your vicinity and the effects on air pressure again and also gravity and why light doesn't pile up and blind you when you use Allomantic cadmium, and ow ow ow my brain.

I'm running away from this topic. Time bubbles and Feruchemical iron are the bane of my existence.

Hah, I just realized that Brandon pointed out this exact thing in Legion. :Duh: I should have realized this way sooner.

Well time bubbles seem to anchor themselves somehow due to them remaining fixed on the ground - being up in the air shouldn't make a difference (air displacement) and I believe brandon said something about the bubbles anchored directly to Scadrial (if you were in a train, the bubble wouldn't go with the train).

That light pile up though...  :wacko:

If rich enough or if you had enough resources (same thing I guess) Couldn't you build like a vented vault with food in it to hide in while you "jump" Also what if one was a Cadmium savant, would the bubble be bigger or would time move quicker? Compounder? same question.

Ok, so I have been thinking on this, and my theory is the size of the bubble is left unaffected, but the amount that time is affected is increased. In Alloy of Law it is stated that the size of the bubble for sliders is static. If the size of the bubble could be affected by dularium or compounding, then a base slider should be able to alter the size of the bubble by flaring the metal. In all the combat situations Wayne is in, he doesn't attempt this even once, despite all the times it would have benefited him. Secondly I don't think compounding is applicable. Compounding works by storing a feruchemal attribute in a metal. You then burn the metal for the feruchemal attribute getting the compounded effect. If you burn the same metal, but for the allomantic effect, you don't receive any compounded increase. The compound only enhances the feruchemal attribute. Sliding is allomancy, so no compound. (Please correct me if i have compounding wrong, but I am pretty sure this is how it functions)

That's true but TLR had thousands of years to learn all the secrets and intricacies of all three magic systems. You would think Harmony would have transferred those secrets to everyone else some how though.  

Yeah, I am far from the authority on the Sanderson cosmere, so just in case, I did some googling, and there are assumptions that it could be done in the other direction, which makes sense. Also one forum, CrazyRioter stated that Brandon said it was possible to use feruchemy to enhance allomancy, we just haven't seen it done yet. So I apologize for spreading incorrect information. Though in response to Swimmingly, I thought the reason his soothing was so strong was because he had a bead of lesurium that gave him his powers, making all his allomantic abilities incredibly strong. That coupled with his hemelurgic spikes that amplified even that, then he could do soothing that strong without compounding. But again, that is my understanding. I was wrong already once today, lets not try for two lol

• Chaos locked this topic