[OB] Urithiru a Giant Fabrial?

ShardBreaker

Jasnah and a few others suspect that Urithuru is a giant fabrial, but how would that work, being the city of the knights radiant? Since fabrials run on captured spren, it might be against their morals to willingly encapture a spren. If anybody has any alternative ideas of a power source or what Urithiru is, that please respond. 

Jasnah and a few others suspect that Urithuru is a giant fabrial, but how would that work, being the city of the knights radiant? Since fabrials run on captured spren, it might be against their morals to willingly encapture a spren. If anybody has any alternative ideas of a power source or what Urithiru is, then please respond. 

Edited by NickPlum

Not all fabrials run on captured spren. Knights Radiant seemed to be okay with soulcasters, so maybe it functions similarly to that. 

Don't forget that the oathgates are technically fabrials as well.

First, off the Radiant have no qualms (to my knowledge) about enslaving spren, the Oathgates are powered by spren and in one of Dalinar visions we see a Radiant use a heliodor fabrial. I think that the spren is Re-Shephir, note how she was trapped in a pile of gemstones and was the source of the tendrils of wrongness that Shallan feels in the tower, the ones that disappear when Re-Shephir runs away. 

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

True, but the oathgates don't seem to function how normal fabrials do. As you see in Oathbringer, it seems like the spren of the Oathgate have somewhat of a choice when it comes to their job.  Also as a side note, the radiants don't actually use the soulcasters, as most of them don't need them.

8e640f47ad6dc1e3d1bd41fcff1141bf.jpg

Edited by NickPlum

I assumed that Urithiru was "powered" by the vaguely mentioned Sibling spren.    Like some sort of semi-sentient living city. 

It kinda works if the Sibling is a combination of Honor and Cultivation.  The Knights Radiant reside there (Honor) and then the city itself is "cultivated" by the mystery spren.  There's a lot of discussion about how Urithiru has places for growing food and being self sustaining.

I'm very curious what Urithiru looks like from Shadesmar....

Edited by Zellyia

35 minutes ago, NickPlum said:

True, but the oathgates don't seem to function how normal fabrials do. As you see in Oathbringer, it seems like the spren of the Oathgate have somewhat of a choice when it comes to their job.  Also as a side note, the radiants don't actually use the soulcasters, as most of them don't need them.

8e640f47ad6dc1e3d1bd41fcff1141bf.jpg

We've seen a Stoneward with a regrowth fabrial in Dalinar's visions. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Radiants of orders other than Elsecaller and Lightweavers used the Soulcaster fabrials. 

I assume The Sibling(proposed to be the third bondsmith spren) powers the City-Tower. There is mention of one of the bondsmiths always being in accompaniment of Urithiru, possibly because its spren was stuck there. 

And keep in mind the Higher spren are capable of choosing what they do and could have agreed to do this. I'm increasingly suspecting that the ancient fabrials, soulcasters and regrowth tools, function do to a spren willing bonding with the tool. Which is why the gemstones can be changed out, the spren is attached to the fabrial itself. And that's why it is so different, the mechanism bonding the spren is by Intent.

• Jofwu changed the title to [OB] Urithiru a Giant Fabrial?
11 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

First, off the Radiant have no qualms (to my knowledge) about enslaving spren, the Oathgates are powered by spren and in one of Dalinar visions we see a Radiant use a heliodor fabrial. I think that the spren is Re-Shephir, note how she was trapped in a pile of gemstones and was the source of the tendrils of wrongness that Shallan feels in the tower, the ones that disappear when Re-Shephir runs away. 

From what has been said and seen in Oathbringer, I think the original fabrials, the oathgates, and potentially Urithiru, weren't enslaved Spren, but rather were helping voluntarily.

• Chaos locked this topic