Best Magic system?

So we all know that one of the main things that Brandon is known for throughout the industry is his genius and incredibly in-depth systems of magic. Everything from Feruchemy, to Surgebinding, Allomancy and even the Shardblades (not really a system so to speak...I mean they kind of are..).

My question for my fellow Sharders is what one is your favorite? It doesn't have to be the most in-depth and complicated one but rather the one that gives you the most joy to read about.

For myself it's got to be Allomancy, something about the constant manipulation of the steelpushing and ironpulling to maintain a sort of flight is very appealing to me.

It is Roshar for me! I don't know whether that's becuase the WOK was the first Brandon's book i read or not. As my favorite planet is Roshar, my favorite character is Kal. As i even talked about it in a post, after finishing OB (more than a month ago) I was dreaming of Roshar every night (and i still do!)

There's something deep and exciting about the Highstorms, the Heraldic Epochs, Dawnsingers, Voidbringer, Makabaki kingdoms, the Iriali, Akinah, Death rattles, Diagram, Ghostbloods, Shadesmar, etc. All in all it's clear that so much is going on on Roshar (not that there's so little going on in other system!)

Whenever I read something that has happened before Stormlight Archive in the Cosmere (like in Elantris), I refer to it as sth in the past unintentionally! And everything (like Sixth of the Dusk) after it, as future!

But It's the brilliance of Brandon's Cosmere, which is going on in different times at the same time! All systems are moving on like long parallel rivers, with delicate connections to each other, which finally unite in the Cosmere ocean. (Wow. Reputation for me! I feel so poetic!)

My favourites gotta be AonDor, purely because (aside from its geographical restrictions) It's almost limitless, and has no hard rules, I really like how every Aon can be modified.

18 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

My favourites gotta be AonDor, purely because (aside from its geographical restrictions) It's almost limitless, and has no hard rules, I really like how every Aon can be modified.

they do end up doing some crazy stuff outside elantris as well. AonDor is pretty neat.

For me it's Surgebinding and AonDor. I love the concept of the ten orders and each one having a different ability for a different purpose. As for AonDor, every magic system based on writing is something I find fascinting, besides, it works like coding and as a programmer (well, in process) it's impossible not to feel interested.

I'm going to have to go with the Three Metallic Arts; Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy. I can't choose just one since they all intertwine with each other. You can go into so much detail with each one but can remain simple when explaining it. And combining them creates even more possibilities that can access the Cosmere and other Investitures.

Definitely Roshar. I know some of you have said that you don't like the hard rules very much, but as a programmer/physicist, I love those sorts of magic laws! I especially like voidbinding, even though we know so little about it. It has the feel of something that will be even more complex than surgebinding, but we know so little about it that it gives off the same mystery vibe as the Old Magic.

This is tough one for me because I really like the metallic arts especially Feruchemy and especially knowing it will eventually lead to FTL travel. I also REALLY like forgery TES is one of my favorite Sanderson books. Obviously the magic in SA is pretty awesome as well and we do not even know all of its uses yet. The magic in Elantris is cool I guess but something about drawing symbols in the air seems kinda lame to me. Like "hold on a sec bad guy I almost have this drawn".

I have to give my favorite slot to BioChroma. I think the main reason I like it the most is technically anyone on the planet can use it. It is not a special skill you are born with (although I guess you do not have to be born with a metallic art to eventually get it) or reliant to having a spren bond with you. I also really like awakening, lifeless and I mean it produced a talking sword nuff said. 

• Chaos locked this topic