[OB] Question about Dalinar's progression

Dunkum

This has been bothering me for a little bit.  I missed it at first, but caught it during my reread:

When Dalinar flees back to Urithiru from Thaylen City, he is able to activate the oathgate.  We know for the other orders that this would normally require a living sprenblade to accomplish, and it appears that what Dalinar does is roughly equivalent to forcing the Stormfather to become a shardblade to operate the gate for him.  However, up to this point, we have only seen Dalinar swear 2 obvious Oaths.  Relying on the other orders, we know the both Kaladin and Lift didn't get a shardblade until their 3rd Oath, so it seems like Dalinar is 1 oath too early to be able to do that.  so did Dalinar swear a 3rd oath somewhere?  I assume we would have seen if he had, given how major of a character he is.  If not, is this just a case of the Bondsmith being special?

I think it's a case of Dalinar being special.  He didn't summon or create a Shardblade, he forced investiture into a form solid enough to use as a key, but it didn't sound like a Blade.  Just a chunk of power.  I don't think other Bondsmiths would have been able to do that. 

Dalinar growled. He felt something he could touch, something beyond places. The power that bound worlds together. His power.

Wait, the Stormfather said. This is not right!

Dalinar ignored him, reaching beyond and pulling power through. Something bright white manifested in his hand, and he rammed it into the keyhole.

The Stormfather groaned, a sound like thunder.

The power made the Oathgate work, regardless. As his guards called his name outside, Dalinar flipped the dial that would make only the small building transport—not the entire plateau—then pushed the keyhole around the outside of the room, using the power as a handhold.

He said the 3rd Oath at the end of OB.

Edited by RShara

Additionally, what Dalinar did shouldn't have been able to be done regardless of what oath he was at. Bondsmiths don't get blades. 

Questioner

And there's one last question if I may: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly it is told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. I read some of the chapters from Dalinar from Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?

Brandon Sanderson

There's a backstory to every Blade and every one of them is special, that's the problem. But I will be exploring the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Questioner

As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmiths didn't have Blades.

Questioner

All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...

Brandon Sanderson

No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true. 

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

source

Edited by Calderis

On 2/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, RShara said:

He didn't summon or create a Shardblade, he forced investiture into a form solid enough to use as a key, but it didn't sound like a Blade.  Just a chunk of power.

Except we know from his later conversation with the Stormfather that whatever he did was painful to the Stormfather.  So whatever it was, and I'm certainly willing to accept that it wasn't as simple as just forming a shardblade, it wasn't just taking a bunch of stormlight and creating a key.  At a guess, I'd say he pulled on at least some part of the Stormfather and used that.

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Except we know from his later conversation with the Stormfather that whatever he did was painful to the Stormfather.  So whatever it was, and I'm certainly willing to accept that it wasn't as simple as just forming a shardblade, it wasn't just taking a bunch of stormlight and creating a key.  At a guess, I'd say he pulled on at least some part of the Stormfather and used that.

Yeah I don't think anybody thinks it was just Stormlight. In order to satisfy whatever condition is met by a sprenblade, presumably the investiture he used was part of the Stormfather, who is, after all, sapient investiture, like all spren.

ETA: that sentence, I think you'll agree, could really, really have used some more, I guess you'd call them, commas, right?

Edited by digitalbusker
Moar commas

On 2/16/2018 at 9:23 PM, Calderis said:

Bondsmiths don't get blades

Having found this WoB for the first time, thoughts on this?

Questioner

Did every Order of Knights Radiant have Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Every Order was capable of Shardblades.

16 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Having found this WoB for the first time, thoughts on this?

This may seem counterintuitive, but I don't think there's a contradiction there. 

Bondsmiths still have a Nahel bond, so the mechanic is there for the Spren to turn into a blade. 

I think the difference is that the nature of the Godspren/worldspren/whatever you want to call them makes them unwilling to be a blade. The Stormfather is a part of the highstorm itself. I think that become a blade would weaken the storm and create horrible issues with the weather patterns. 

I imagine all of the Bondsmith spren are parts of major Rosharan natural mechanics. 

• Chaos locked this topic