Does Hoid Possess a Shard? (WoR Spoilers)

Sevynwarr

In Chapter 67 of Words of Radiance"Spit and Bile" Hoid (a.k.a. Wit) speaks with Dalinar about tyrants and what the nation needs.  On page 798 continuing on to page 799 he says:

"I will do what I can to help," Wit said, "and for that reason, I must go.  I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing--a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever know."

The conversation continues with Dalinar asking if who finds him, and Hoid replies "The father of hatred." Whom I assume to be Odium.

Now, according to "the letter" Odium is assumed to have splinted several of the other shards.  It's generally accepted that Odium can kill other people with shards by splintering them.  It sounds as though Hoid fears being splintered from the above quoted comment he makes to Dalinar, but can a normal human who does not possess a shard be splintered the same as one who does?  Or does Hoid have a shard too?

Thoughts?

Edited by Sevynwarr

Unless otherwise specified, anytime Hoid is referenced it's assumed to be the current living Hoid not his former master.

How do we know Brandon is making the same assumption when responding to whether Hoid possesses a Shard? :conspiracy:

How do we know Brandon is making the same assumption when responding to whether Hoid possesses a Shard? :conspiracy:

Because of the context of how Brandon usually answers questions about Hoid bearing a Shard.  Such questions often go hand in hand with questions like 'If Hoid did possess a Shard, which would he be most likely to take?' where its clear from Brandon's answers and discussion of Hoid's personality, motives, etc that he's referring to the Hoid we've come to know in the published novels.  And the original Hoid died before Adonalsium was shattered, him bearing a Shard was never a real possibility.

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

Then that would mean that Odium can do to normal people what he does to shards.  Scary.

Seems likely that it's what he did to the Unmade. Rlain talks about those who gave themselves up to destroy the humans. It's an interesting aspect of Odium's power, to be sure. Rather terrifying, too - what's the afterlife like for someone who has their soul shredded, whether by Hemalurgy or Odium? I do hope it doesn't change, because otherwise it provides an incentive for the Cosmere-aware to commit suicide.

Edited by Moogle

Seems likely that it's what he did to the Unmade. Rlain talks about those who gave themselves up to destroy the humans. 

I must've missed this. It certainly does make a good case for the Unmade being Splintered souls instead of spren, though perhaps the two are not entirely different.

I must've missed this. It certainly does make a good case for the Unmade being Splintered souls instead of spren, though perhaps the two are not entirely different.

I feel like I might have overstated my position. Here's the quotes:

“It means our gods have returned,” Rlain whispered.

“Who are your gods?”

“They are the souls of those ancient. Those who gave of themselves to destroy.” A different rhythm to his words this time, slow and reverent. He looked up at Dalinar. “They hate you and your kind, sir. This new form they have given my people . . . it is something terrible. It will bring something terrible.”

Our gods were born splinters of a soul,

Of one who seeks to take control,

Destroys all lands that he beholds, with spite.

They are his spren, his gift, his price.

But the nightforms speak of future life,

A challenged champion .

A strife even he must requite. —From the Listener Song of Secrets, final stanza

My interpretation (which is not certain, though I am fairly confident) is that the Unmade were once listeners who had their souls shredded up and Splinters of Odium placed in them - a more Odious version of the Returned. The reasons seem to make sense: the Nahel spren betrayed the listeners when the humans arrived, forming Surgebinders, and so the listeners turned to Odium for vengeance. Cue Voidbringers.

A lot of people seem to think that Hoid's endless referencing to a gemstone he once bore/was named after means he had a shard. IIRC, it's really just one of those pink crystals from Liar of Partinel. The ones nahel bonds probably came from when the magic of Yolen got all broken up.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Observer

Does he possess a Honorblade? I swear the description of Taln's blade changes between the WOK Epilogue and when Dalinar sees it.

Hoid traveled with him and 'ran off' 

I think our dear Hoid is gathering a piece of every Shardworld magic and storing them in one of his cosmere hidey holes.

Edited by WEZ313

• Chaos locked this topic