Gavilar's "crystalline sphere"

taxilian

That indeed might be their perception but the nahel bond is definitely as more than that from a human point of view and more importantly from the spren point of view. I wish I could quote from the book directly but spren, especially Syl do seem to think the risk of being ultimately betrayed is worth taking in order to experience the sentience that the bond allows them. Both parties get a lot.

I completely agree with you. I was only saying in this response to a post that suggested that when the Listeners reference seeing the humans capture spren that they were referring to fabrials or Gavilar's sphere.

Nightblood's a Shardblade because he has enough pieces of Endowment (Breaths) to count as a Splinter.

Even Vasher admits that the awakened nightblood should have had sentience. He says that it should not have been more "awake" than Vasher's cloak.

But I wonder what would happen if they had tried to awaken an actual shardblade? Would the combination of the Breath of endowment and the left over spren bits from Roshar create some weird Spren Frankenstein zombie of terror?

probably not...but maybe

I completely agree with you. I was only saying in this response to a post that suggested that when the Listeners reference seeing the humans capture spren that they were referring to fabrials or Gavilar's sphere.

It seems pretty clear that they are talking about specifically capturing spren in a gemstone, and that it's a relatively recent discovery.  The Listeners have known about the nahel bond for so many generations that it's in their learning songs as a betrayal.

“She picked up the gemstone, staring into its depths. It was a large one, about a third the size of her fist, though gemstones didn’t have to be large to trap a spren inside.

She hated trapping them. The right way was to go into the highstorm with the proper attitude, singing the proper song to attract the proper spren. You bonded it in the fury of the raging storm and were reborn with a new body. People had been doing this from the arrival of the first winds.

The listeners had learned that capturing spren was possible from the humans, then had figured out the process on their own. ”

Excerpt From: Brandon Sanderson. “Stormlight 2: Words of Radiance.”

Eshonai grew up with the "old way" before they captured the spren, else she wouldn't find the "new way" so disturbing. I guess it's possible I'm misinterpreting, but it seems fairly clear to me.

I had originally thought that it could have possibly contained a spren. however gloom has convinced me to reconsider. im not so sure that it is a spren.

also talking about nightblood, I have no idea what that sword is. im going to go and read all of the other Brandon Sanderson books.

I was half asleep when I realised this so I thought I better post it quick lest I forget by morning. I scanned the thread quickly and saw no mention of it so far.

I think Gavilar's Sphere contains Midnight Essence, the vaporous creatures Dalinar fought in one of his visions. The one where he was protecting his family, fighting with a Poker and then the Radiants turned up, in WoK. Or at least if not the creatures themselves, then the means to bringing them back. Although i tend to think the creatures are in the sphere.

I believe Adolin can no longer feel the thrill because his bonding process is beginning with a spren

Edit: Totally posted this from the first page not realizing there were 2 others haha..

Edited by Vasteel

I thought the Thrill was caused by Nergaoul, and that he was moving west, along with Moelach?

Think about Adolin's fight with Eshoni. She was feeling the thrill, while he had just gone through the revulsion and know fought with out the thrill's influence.

So something interesting is going on there. And many figure that because Dalinar had a similar happen to him that this is proof that Adolin will become a KR.

Edited by Releaser

I thought the Thrill was caused by Nergaoul, and that he was moving west, along with Moelach?

I don't think Moelach's direction was specified. Just that it was moving.

Anyway, I'm not sure what it contains, but I'm leaning towards one of the Unmade. Not Nergaoul, but possibly Moelach. Nergaoul is apparently moving towards Jah Keved, where Szeth hid the sphere. Because the Thrill didn't start to diminish in Alethkar until around the beginning of the books, Nergaoul couldn't have been directly in the sphere. Whereas the sphere containing Moelach would work as a possibility, because Moelach's effects could stretch, though diminishing in power, to Alethkar. That would be why no bridgemen until Maps uttered Death Rattles - Moelach simply wasn't strong enough in Alethkar to cause more than a few. Also, the Death Rattles didn't start until the Plains were discovered. Gavilar could have found the sphere, allowing Moelach to slowly escape. The Death Rattles would have started, and then, after ten years or so (perhaps ten years exactly), Moelach could fully escape and start moving.

If there is an unmade in the sphere it's probably Blightwind, AKA Yelig-nar.

This would explain why Szeth started hearing the screams of the people that he killed.

Shallan and Kaladin saw Moelach and Nergaoul moving on the shattered plains during the highstorm in the chasms.

If there is an unmade in the sphere it's probably Blightwind, AKA Yelig-nar.

This would explain why Szeth started hearing the screams of the people that he killed.

Shallan and Kaladin saw Moelach and Nergaoul moving on the shattered plains during the highstorm in the chasms.

Has that been confirmed? And if so, why is Nergaoul still having an effect in the Shattered Plains?

Has that been confirmed? And if so, why is Nergaoul still having an effect in the Shattered Plains?

No, but they did see two alien-looking things walking across the Shattered Plains.  I'm assuming that they were unmade.

Also, I'm fairly sure that they were walking towards Narak/Stormseat, which would explain why the thrill is still in the Shattered Plains.  This would coincide with Eshonai believing that Stormform would attract the unmade to the Listeners.

Even if they were going away from the Shattered Plains, those two have proven to have a very large radius of influence.  After all, death rattles and the thrill were occurring across at least two different kingdoms (Jah Keved, Kharbranth, and Alethkar).

No, but they did see two alien-looking things walking across the Shattered Plains.  I'm assuming that they were unmade.

Also, I'm fairly sure that they were walking towards Narak/Stormseat, which would explain why the thrill is still in the Shattered Plains.  This would coincide with Eshonai believing that Stormform would attract the unmade to the Listeners.

Even if they were going away from the Shattered Plains, those two have proven to have a very large radius of influence.  After all, death rattles and the thrill were occurring across at least two different kingdoms (Jah Keved, Kharbranth, and Alethkar).

If they were going to Stormseat, that would explain why their influence is still in the Shattered Plains. I was assuming that they were just traveling with the highstorm, in which case they could go much farther. I wonder what Shallan saw in the highstorm in chapter 49, if the Unmade were moving in chapter 74.

No, but they did see two alien-looking things walking across the Shattered Plains.

I'm assuming that they were unmade.

I thought those were the first set of Parshendi getting their stormform.

but after researching the quote:

"Something was glowing on the plateau. Something that moved. It was hard to see, since water streamed off the side of the plateau above, falling in a sheet before their refuge. He swore he saw an enormous figure walking up there, a glowing inhuman form, followed by another, alien and sleek. Striding the storm. Leg after leg, until the glow passed."

What I first assumed to be rank after rank of glowing parshendi, the first couple hundred that changed, seems to be two distinct lifeforms that are much bigger than a human or parshendi.

Good find.

But the Thrill is growing stronger in Jah Keved and likely fading in the Plains, if Sadeas and Adolin are any judge. They're still around, sure, but certainly not getting stronger or anything.

• Chaos locked this topic