Words of Brandon (Q&A Responses)(*WoR Spoilers!*)

Trickonometry

I guess Eshonai makes perfectly sense, since her flashbacks will probably give us deep insights in the Listener's culture and origins, but personally I really don't care for her very much. I felt that she was doomed since the first time we met her - there had to be a catalyst for the return of the Voidbringers. I hope she's gonna get more substance, but i think Brandon will manage it just fine.
Nonetheless i'd prefered flashbacks of another character. Gavilar would have been interesting, but that would maybe spoil too much of the plot in advance. Sadeas could have been cool .. the three warlords conquering alethkar, but I guess we will get a POV Sadeas prologue in a coming book.

Also, I imagine this isn't new to the people here, but Brandon also said that the next Stormlight Archive book is "Stones on Hallowed", and he very casually mentioned in his monologue,

"I wrote the books with a main character to focus on for flashbacks to give the stories a spine of sorts, someone who you can attach to. That way in the future it won't be as hard to remember what happened in each book, you can be like, "Oh, the third book? That was the one with SZETH in it..." (Emphasis added)

So... Between the title and his dropped hint, I am STOKED to learn about our Assassin in White. :-D

Ummm... The title of the book is actually "Stones Unhallowed", last I checked... and yes. the confirmed order is Szeth, Eshonai, and Dalinar. The working title for book 5 is "Highprince of War". I'm sorry if this is off topic, but this should clear it up quite nicely. :)Here's the source. :)

I guess Eshonai makes perfectly sense, since her flashbacks will probably give us deep insights in the Listener's culture and origins, but personally I really don't care for her very much. I felt that she was doomed since the first time we met her - there had to be a catalyst for the return of the Voidbringers. I hope she's gonna get more substance, but i think Brandon will manage it just fine.

Nonetheless i'd prefered flashbacks of another character. Gavilar would have been interesting, but that would maybe spoil too much of the plot in advance. Sadeas could have been cool .. the three warlords conquering alethkar, but I guess we will get a POV Sadeas prologue in a coming book.

Eshonai actually is very important. According to Mr. T's notes, she's the "bridge". I am sure she will have a big role in the Desolation.

Stones Unhallowed and Skybreaker are both confirmed working titles for two of the books. Whether they will remain the same or change (a part of the reason Stormlight Archive #2 is Words of Radiance - as opposed to Lightweaver, I think - was because Brandon had just finished A Memory of Light and wanted to name SA2 after something with "light" but not use the word itself again), we'll have to see. 

I just came back from the WoR signing in Seattle and WOW! First Brandon book tour I've been to, I will NOT be missing others in the future! I thought I'd start a thread for Q&A responses. I've got a couple from a guy named Tim who said he was probably going to get an account and post soon, but he said if he hasn't posted by Monday, his answers are free game, and they are ZINGERS.

Now for my questions, and feel free to post any that you got from events!

Q: What would happen to the function of a magic item if it were to be taken from one world to another? (This was me asking about Nightblood indirectly during the general Q&A to avoid spoilers)

A: An invested object theoretically would work, but they may not work exactly the way they are supposed to.

This leads me to think that maybe the nature of Nightblood has changed because it is on Roshar. If it is subject to the rules and laws of the world of Roshar, then maybe it changed, and the mind of Nightblood is now a spren that can use the Nahel bond in order to grant surges to someone of the Skybreaker Order. 

im looking forward to the Eshonai book, I think she has a lot to make her interesting. In some ways I see her as Marsh 2.0, and I expect her to really have an good viewpoint. She was the first to meet with the Alethi, the first to turn to Stormform. She's a nexus point for important events, the question in my mind is whether she will be able to break free like her ancestors of the lost legion did.

Stones Unhallowed and Skybreaker are both confirmed working titles for two of the books. Whether they will remain the same or change (a part of the reason Stormlight Archive #2 is Words of Radiance - as opposed to Lightweaver, I think - was because Brandon had just finished A Memory of Light and wanted to name SA2 after something with "light" but not use the word itself again), we'll have to see.

Maybe it was Ligtweaver for a while, but the working title was more Book of Endless Pages.

I remember he said somewhere that the Stones Unhallowed could change dependant on if he gets it out before Rothfuss' Doors of Stone. I don't know whether he meant that seriously.

• Chaos locked this topic