Hoid questions (Spoilers)

ranstang94

Hello everyone, I have read the forum for a long time now, but this is my first time posting.

I know that a number of people have suggested that the powder that Hoid pours into his drink was bronze in order to sense Shallan. I tend to agree with this theory, but have been considering the possibility that it was actually copper. Since it has been said that a coppercloud could block one from sensing magic non-native to Scaladrial I was thinking that perhaps Hoid was burning copper in order to prevent being sensed by anyone.  Later in the book Hoid tells Dalinar that he has to be careful not to be found by Odium:  "I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing--a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever know." I am not sure if a coppercloud would be enough to prevent being sensed by something as powerful as  Shardholder, but I thought that this may be a possibility.

Alternatively, we also know that Hoid is being pursued by members of the Seventeenth Shard whom he easily manages to elude. I was thinking that it is possible that at least one of the members trying to track him has abilities similar to that of  seeker in which case burning copper would be useful. 

While I still agree with others that the powder was most likely bronze I thought that this was a reasonable alternative worth consideration.

I'm also of a mind that a coppercloud isn't going to hide you from a shard. It doesn't even do such a good job against a strong allomancer.

He probably WAS using bronze, but I do like the alternate idea that he was using it to hide from a 17th shard allomancer. 

Upvote for a nice plausible theory with your very first post!

Keep in mind that the shards and the powers you are talking about came from the same magic system. Odium is from a different Investiture. Also different shards have different powers. Hoid is also a lot more powerful than Vin and can use allomancy much better than she can. At least he has been practicing for a long time if he immediately ingested the bead. 

• Chaos locked this topic