Taln's Honorblade (full book spoilers)

Jess

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster, just finished WoR last night, etc etc...

It seems odd to me that Stormfather told Dalinar to discard Taln's Honorblade. After all, Honorblades are not dead spren like regular shardblades, and Syl actually wanted Kaladin to retrieve Jezrien's Honorblade. It could have something to do with Taln's Honorblade, presumably granting Stonewarden abilities, not matching Dalinar's Order, but IMO that doesn't fully explain why Stormfather would call the blade a "monstrosity."

Two main possibilities I see:

1. Something about Taln's blade makes it different from the other's (or, at least different from Jezrien's).

2. Stormfather knows something about the Honorblades that Syl doesn't.

Edited by Jess

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster, just finished WoR last night, etc etc...

It seems odd to me that Stormfather told Dalinar to discard Taln's Honorblade. After all, Honorblades are not dead spren like regular shardblades, and Syl actually wanted Kaladin to retrieve Jezrien's Honorblade. It could have something to do with Taln's Honorblade, presumably granting Stonewarden abilities, not matching Dalinar's Order, but IMO that doesn't fully explain why Stormfather would call the blade a "monstrosity."

Two main possibilities I see:

1. Something about Taln's blade makes it different from the other's (or, at least different from Jezrien's).

2. Stormfather knows something about the Honorblades that Syl doesn't.

I don't think Dalinar had Taln's honorblade. I'm pretty sure the current theory is that Hoid did the ol' switch-a-roo with Taln's blade and a normal shardblade. The reasoning behind this is that Dalinar feels uncomfortable holding the blade even though honorblades are not dead spren and the description of the blade is different to Taln's blade.

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of monstrosity.

I think you are misunderstanding the connotation of monstrosity. :P To me it conveys a lot more than just size; it is a decidedly negative descriptor. Also, the behavior of the blades is different; Dalinar hears screams when he summons it but Kaladin does not hear screams when he touches Jezrien's Blade.

I don't think Dalinar had Taln's honorblade. I'm pretty sure the current theory is that Hoid did the ol' switch-a-roo with Taln's blade and a normal shardblade. The reasoning behind this is that Dalinar feels uncomfortable holding the blade even though honorblades are not dead spren and the description of the blade is different to Taln's blade.

Ah yes, possibility 3: That's not Taln's Honorblade. 

There's a rather full discussion on this topic.

(These days it's a good tip to do a quick word-search before posting a new thread, due to the massive turnover).

Oh dear, I actually did look around but I guess I somehow missed that thread. Thanks!

• Chaos locked this topic