Nightblood??

Gaz

on page 1064, chapter 88, The Herald Nalan gives Szeth a black sword in a metal sheath with black smoke coming out of it which says in his mind: "Hello, would you like to destroy some evil today?" sounds a lot like Nightblood, doesn't it

And the general concensus is that Zahel is Vasher.

What the... really?  Wow.. I really need to catch up on these forums.  I just finished the book earlier today and that one at least, I would never have thought of....

What the... really?  Wow.. I really need to catch up on these forums.  I just finished the book earlier today and that one at least, I would never have thought of....

Yeah, it's a more subtle one, but it's widely held that he's Vasher. I knew he was someone special, but didn't realize who until I read these forums.

It's Nightblood alright, but that raises the question of how Nalan got his hands on it in the first place.

Is it possible that some of the Heralds can world hop?

More likely, Vasher did...  and then lost Nightblood somehow.

If release order roughly relates to cosmere chronology, then Words of Radiance takes place after Warbreaker and before Nightblood (the planned sequel). Maybe that is why the July 2013 State of the Sanderson put Nightblood's release date as 'fairly far off'? 

I'm new to the Cosmere so seeing an example of this first-hand is really exciting.  I too hadn't even thought to equate Zahel to Vasher, even after seeing Nightblood!   

More likely, Vasher did...  and then lost Nightblood somehow.

Will we read about that in the next SA book, or in the Warbreaker sequel?  I ask because Zahel said, "Choose the option that makes it easiest for you to sleep at night. That's what I wish I'd done" and I'm wondering if it's related with losing Nightblood, so I'd like to know which series to expect that in.

Theoryland and Coppermine are giving different timelines for the books. I'm leaning towards theoryland (which puts Warbreaker well after Stormlight Archive) since that wouldn't require Vasher wandering away from his post Warbreaker plothook. 

I knew that Zahel was Vasher ever since I popped on to the forums. I think Chaos said it was "someone we knew," and I thought, "Grumpy man with scruffy beard and uses expressions that often deal with color? In the same book as Nightblood? Could it be...?"

Man, I knew that some sort of twist like this was going to happen, but that took me off guard.

It's just marvelous. :) My opinion is that if this is after Warbreaker, but before Nightblood, then Vivenna is probably on Roshar with Zahel (Vasher).

But, something nobody has mentioned so far... Now, my Warbreaker knowledge is a little rusty, but I don't believe we know Nightblood's origin. Is it possible that Nalan gives Szeth Nightblood, which Vasher then obtains BEFORE going to Nalthis?? 

EDIT: Found a typo. XD

Edited by loganmathewjohnson

It's just marvelous. :) My opinion is that if this is after Warbreaker, but before Nightblood, then Vivenna is probably on Roshar with Zahel (Vasher).

But, something nobody has mentioned so far... Now, my Warbreaker knowledge is a little rusty, but I don't believe we know Nightblood's origin. Is it possible that Nalan gives Szeth Nightblood, which Vasher then obtains BEFORE going to Nalthis?? 

EDIT: Found a typo. XD

Your memory is definitely a little rusty =] Vasher and Denth's sister (2 of the 5 scholers) created Nightblood using 1000 breaths and the command "destroy evil". (See the coppermind) Also, in the end of I-6 you see that "Zahel" is expecting a voice in his head as he drifts off to sleep, but "Hadn’t been one in years.”  To me this was the final proof that Zahel is Vasher, because that seems pretty clearly to be referring to Nightblood's voice in his head.

Edited by taxilian

I was under the impression that, at least until The Way of Kings, the cosmere timeline follows the release order of the books. Warbreaker was released before The Way of Kings, so the events of Warbreaker took place before those of TWoK, relevant to the cosmere itself.

Here's a question that might have been answered elsewhere,
Could Vasher remove the breath that is in nightblood?

There is a WOB about removing breath from a lifeless and why it doesn't work:

Here:

The reason that you can't draw the Breath back from a Lifeless is because the Breath clings to it. If the Lifeless were sentient enough, it could give up its own Breath, but you can't take it, just like you can't take a Breath from a person by force. You have to get them to give it up willingly. So it sticks to the Lifeless.

So if we consider Nightblood to be sentient (seeing as he talks and stuff) then the answer would be no.

Also if Vasher thought awakened steel was too dangerous for the world to know about, why hasn't he removed the breath from it already? 

My inclination is to say that no he can't remove the breath although I think it would be cool in the next book to have Szeth running around with  Nightblood slaying "evil" as Nightblood tends to do and then Zahel/Vasher taking the breath back and leaving Szeth befuddled with a really ordinary sword.

I hadn't even noticed that he was Vasher.  I feel a bit foolish.  I got the impression that the Nightblood book would take place shortly after Warbreaker, Way of Kings could be pretty much any amount of time after that, from a few months,  to hundreds of years.

Your memory is definitely a little rusty =] Vasher and Denth's sister (2 of the 5 scholers) created Nightblood using 1000 breaths and the command "destroy evil". (See the coppermind) Also, in the end of I-6 you see that "Zahel" is expecting a voice in his head as he drifts off to sleep, but "Hadn’t been one in years.”  To me this was the final proof that Zahel is Vasher, because that seems pretty clearly to be referring to Nightblood's voice in his head.

Haha, ok. :) Well, now that I'm done with WoR, maybe a Warbreaker re-read is necessary. :) Yeah, no, I definitely think he's Vasher. There's just no other crazy, color-obsessed, swordmaster lunatic expecting a voice in his head in the same world where Nightblood shows up that it could possibly be. XD

I Also agree with @Stroniax. He probably let somebody steal it... Then "Colorful Stormfather" et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. ;)

Edited by loganmathewjohnson