Miles' death rattle

LiquidBlue

This is a minor theory.

At his death, Miles gives what sounds like a death rattle. I propose that this has nothing directly related to Moelach or the influence of a shard. Rather at the moment of his death he was burning not only feruchemically charged gold, but uncharged gold as well. (Maybe he instinctively drained a gold metal mind instead of burning it, then inadvertently burned it for gold allomatic effect.)

I think that looking into the spiritual realm by allomatically burning gold at the moment of death would be enough to trigger a death rattle.

I must say I am interested, but which passage do you refer to:

Spoiler

"you are fools!" Miles yelled at the firing squad.  "One day, the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come to you. And you will be ruled by them."

or

"Worship Trell and wait....."

I believe one refers to southern Scadrians.  The other is up for debate.  My personal feeling is Autonomy.

This is the second reference I've read in the past few days to Miles' dying words being a death rattle.  Based on John203's response, it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of an ongoing discussion.

Personally, I don't see it.  We never hear too much about the Trell belief system that Miles is now following.  Based on his words, he is a convert to this new religion.  His words to me sound more like a curse.  "You may have killed me, but my religion will prevail!"  I see it as his beliefs, not a vision of the future.

1 hour ago, Master Knapper said:

Personally, I don't see it.  We never hear too much about the Trell belief system that Miles is now following.  Based on his words, he is a convert to this new religion.  His words to me sound more like a curse.  "You may have killed me, but my religion will prevail!"  I see it as his beliefs, not a vision of the future.

That is possible, but there's a WoB that makes me think there might be something more to it than just his religious following.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/214-a-memory-of-light-seattle-signing/#e4694

Mason Wheeler (paraphrased)

All right. And related to that, sometimes some little concepts kind of... cross worlds. When Miles died, who was talking there? Him, or someone else?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Wow, that's a really excellent question. And I'm afraid I'm going to have to RAFO that.

We don't get an actual answer, but starting with "that's a really excellent question" makes me think the questioner was at least onto something along the lines of "there's something strange going on with this speech."

Edit: There's also this to think about.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/103-salt-lake-city-comic-con-2014/#e1019

Questioner

Miles Hundredlives, is he possessed by a svrakiss from Elantris?

Brandon Sanderson

*long pause* That's a RAFO, you are onto something... I wouldn't say possessed, but influenced by something is definitely a possibility. You are not 100% on.

Edited by Andy92

@Andy92 Wow, those are some really interesting WoBs. There is apparently more to Miles than I thought (just considered him a cool but dead antagonist). The major question here is how Trell contacted him, and what he knew (as well as why he didn't tell us anything in his POVs).

Edited by Toaster Retribution
Typing on your phone is a pain

8 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Andy92 Wow, those are some really interesting WoBs. There is apparently more to Miles than I thought (just considered him a cool but dead antagonist). The major question here is how Trell contacted him, and what he knew (as well as why he didn't tell us anything in his POVs).

Maybe the Set? Seems to mesh with what little we know of them. At the very least they could have acted as intermediary between Trell and Miles. 

• Chaos locked this topic