[OB] Autonomy's Investiture

DracostarA

Through a lot of recent WoB and the second letter in Oathbringer, it's almost confirmed that the aviar are a product of Autonomy investing in Patji. I've noticed that on the two worlds we know of invested by Autonomy, the investiture that we have seen does not lie within people, like in most worlds, but instead are in unintelligent beings, and are manipulated by people.

1. The invested microbes in the sand are what allows Sand Mastery to occur.

2. The invested worms on Patji are what gives the aviar their strange abilities.

Perhaps this is a common theme for all places invested by Autonomy in the cosmere, or some pattern at least?

Spoiler

I believe that this is intentional on the part of Autonomy, and I believe that I know the reason why.

We know from Oathbringer that Autonomy is leaving sentient splinters of herself around the cosmere. From Secret History, we know that a share cannot be taken up without significant connection to it. 

As there is more Autonomy to go around, the likelihood that someone could eventually take up a splinter is higher.

Autonomy tries to limit others connection to it, either as a precaution or simply due to her intent, by providing this buffer between her magic and the people of the cosmere

Spoilers for OB and Secret History.

1 hour ago, PatronOfRot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I believe that this is intentional on the part of Autonomy, and I believe that I know the reason why.

We know from Oathbringer that Autonomy is leaving sentient splinters of herself around the cosmere. From Secret History, we know that a share cannot be taken up without significant connection to it. 

As there is more Autonomy to go around, the likelihood that someone could eventually take up a splinter is higher.

Autonomy tries to limit others connection to it, either as a precaution or simply due to her intent, by providing this buffer between her magic and the people of the cosmere

Spoilers for OB and Secret History.

I agree, Autonomy does seem to want to maintain its influence where it's spread. I think another reason for this could be [Spoilers for Shadows for Silence and Arcanum Unbounded]

Spoiler

We know Ambition was wounded on Threnody, so it's likely there is some Splinter of it (or Odium) or something of the sort responsible for the Evil/Shades, so perhaps it is just a feature that magic from Splinters cause ambient investiture like this, since they simply lack the collective power to Invest the same way as a whole Shard can.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Autonomy's Investiture
  • Chaos locked this topic