[OB] Moash and the Tranquiline Halls

happyman

In a re-read of Oathbringer, I discovered the following little quote, from Moash' POV:

He looked up towards the skies, towards both Damnation and the Tranquiline Halls.

What this strongly suggests, to me, is that Moash at least knows how to see Damnation and the Tranquiline Halls in the sky.  The two phrases aren't generic, like our human description of the Heavens; they are specific places which are distinct from each other and can be seen. 

We're pretty much certain Braize is Damnation, and also another planet in the Greater Roshar system.  This means that somebody who knows what they are doing could spot it on a clear night (when the geometry is right), just as easily as one of us could spot Mars or Venus.  Presumably the same could be said about Ashyn.

This strikes me as an indication of a couple of things:

1) At least some of the Rosharan humans were originally from Ashyn.  This is not a surprise, nor is it something I would seriously contest, but this is another point in favor of it.  The Tranquiline halls were (are) Ashyn.

2) At least some people on Roshar know this, to some extent.  It's not at all clear how much of the astronomy they've managed to put together, but it sounds like they have at least a couple of strong hints.

I'm not completely sure about this, because I vaguely remember some comments about the Tranquiline Halls becoming Damnation, but it's easy to see the elements mixing in various ways.  I don't think it rules out at least some people remembering that they were separate places, and even where they would appear in the sky.

We have WOB confirming that humans arrived on Roshar from Ashyn. Braize came to be known as Damnation because thats where the Heralds go to be tortured 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

A friend of mine wanted me to ask: Was the cataclysm that <rocked> Ashyn and forced its inhabitants into the flying cities Investiture-based, and if it was was it Shardic in nature?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that the-- did you finish [Oathbringer]?

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that they were fleeing, that they caused, is the one that forced people into the skies.

I think Brandon's done a very good job of showing just bad the "telephone game" of history can get. The original presentation was that voidbringers had kicked humanity out of the Tranquiline Halls. We are given at the same time the idea that voidbringers come from Damnation. While both ideas are true separately, Vorinism has mushed them together.

• Chaos locked this topic