[OB] Odium influencing the Radiants

Smokeform

I’m still learning how to write theories so bear with me. I believe that Odium was attempting to stop the radiants by influencing people in their lives. When I was reading about the backstories of Shallan and Kaladin I became slightly suspicious. I saw that Dalinar’s life was hugely effected by the shards. Odium was actually preparing him to be his champion by making him into a Thrill addict. If Odium was influencing with one life why wouldn’t he do the same to potential Radiants. 

Kaladin had a relatively happy if a little lonely childhood until Roshone showed up.  Roshone was horrible to Kaladin’s family but became even worse when his son died. What ruled his life, hatred or in other words Odium. Roshone tried to take away Tien, the little brother Kaladin was trying to protect. Notice how Kaladin’s mother said that Roshone had been better since Kaladin had gone. Later in the army Kaladin’s doing great and is right on track to become a Windrunner. He saves Amaram’s life and kills a shardbearer but Amaram rewards him with the deaths of his friends and a slave brand. This sent Kaladin in a destructive spiral and paused his progression as a Proto radiant. In Oathbringer we find out that Amaram has been influenced by Odium. 

We don’t know a whole lot of Shallan’s past before she killed her mother and subsequently killed Pattern. We do know that her father cared about her a great deal and was once a kind person. However, her father also destroyed their family, keeping Shallan from ever reuniting with Pattern. Shallan often discribes the anger that she sees in her father and observes it almost seems to control him. I believe that Odium was influencing him in an attempt to destroy Shallan. 

I don’t have flashbacks books from the other Radiants so I don’t know if Odium was doing the same to them. 

Its been confirmed that Odium was having influence around Shallan's family, but it is unclear who came first, the Odium influence or Shallan's nahel bond. It could however be an option that when Odium influences people he leaves behind more broken people, leaving more candidates for Nahel bonds. Dalinar was very high profile, as such I'm not sure he can be used to define a pattern. 

It is a good theory though :).

56 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Its been confirmed that Odium was having influence around Shallan's family, but it is unclear who came first, the Odium influence or Shallan's nahel bond. It could however be an option that when Odium influences people he leaves behind more broken people, leaving more candidates for Nahel bonds. Dalinar was very high profile, as such I'm not sure he can be used to define a pattern. 

It is a good theory though :).

Relevant WoB:

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

#3 Share
Play/Pause

Macen

Is her [Shallan's] father affected by Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

I know we have some WOB, etc. that talk about (mist born spoilers):

Spoiler

how Ruin had used hemalurgy on unstable people likely to crack/become Mistborn for years to give him some control.

It's possible/probable that Odium has been doing the same for millennia, in case the KR returned.

17 minutes ago, Bliev said:

I know we have some WOB, etc. that talk about (mist born spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

how Ruin had used hemalurgy on unstable people likely to crack/become Mistborn for years to give him some control.

It's possible/probable that Odium has been doing the same for millennia, in case the KR returned.

Well, this is more of a fundamental mechanic of the Cosmere. The easiest way for someone/something to become invested is to have cracks/holes/etc in your Spirit Web for the Investiture to fill. 

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Odium influencing the Radiants
  • Chaos locked this topic