Gap between Books 1-5 and 6-10

Asperity

Do we know ANY vague hint as to why we're having this gap?

I know that

>SA is supposed to be read/taken as two separate arcs

>Modern Mistborn trilogy will be written during this time so I'm assuming that it will obviously take place chronologically around this time

And that's all.

But it really bugs me that I know nothing at all whatsoever and if we could pull some magic to find any possible reason (doesn't even have to be elaborate), I would be pleased since otherwise, no clue why until ~5 years from now.

I'm bad with words so I know that there's a story reason behind it (I don't expect a full spoiler nor would I want one) although I'm sure Brandon wants the break from SA too. I'm guessing some large and important event occurs. I don't know. I'm rambling now.

It also makes sense in-world. More time will pass between books 5 and 6 than between any other two consecutive books in The Stormlight Archive. It's similar to gap between The Hero of Ages and The Allow of Law, but not quite as dramatic - some time has passed, some characters are gone, some new ones have shown up, the theme is mostly still the same, but it has evolved.

For example (and I don't know whether this will be the case), the Everstorm could hit around the end of book #5. This way the first arc will have been about our characters trying to prevent / mitigate the damage, while the second one will deal with them trying to survive / rebuild.

Though from what I understand the time gap will be nothing like that between HoA and AoL. More like 10-15 years is my guess. Enough for it to still be one sequence with two arcs dividing it. I'm guessing older characters like Dalinar, Navani and Sadeas may not be around (assuming they don't die before then), but ones such as Kaladin and Shallan will still be around, with enough time having passed to introduce a while new set of characters as well.

Now this all makes me wonder about the chronology even more.

There is around ~300something years between Mistborn trilogy and Alloy, and iirc, Alloy and its future book(s) (if we get more than Shadows) takes place around the same time as Way of Kings (and I'm assuming the general time frame of the first SA half), so now I have to wonder will the gap between Arcs 1 and 2 be massive (hundreds of years) and if modern Mistborn will take place after the gap itself but during the events of Arc 2.

Because if Alloy is already industrialized, I don't think it would be much longer to get to a modern era, maybe 100 years or so.

I liked it because it's obvious that the artists know the story very well.  And they took it stylized in a direction I've never imagined but it still fits perfectly with the story.  Really cool. 

P.S.  I really posted this because I was 2 upvotes away from HoA and I needed that extra boost to get over the edge. :ph34r:

Another one!!

It's an example. For all we know it's the first 5-book arc that deals with the Everstorm, and the second half of the series is all about, I don't know, taking the fight to Odium or something. 

I'm hopping that the second arc will be a Tie-in crossover with Sci-fi Mistborn, or that at least that he do some side project where this setting are used =)

I'm all in for United Roshar Alliance against Scandrial World Federation scape opera book with:

- Gemhearts core drive

- Soulcaster Laser

- Mass Accelaration Fabrial Guns

- "Shadesmare Effect"

Against everything that the the sci-fi Metal arts can conjure =)

Edited by Natans

For some reason I originally read that as biscuits.

Not a bad thing too =)

armor_copy_grande.jpg?558

Lightwoven cloaking

Lashed spacecraft

FTL stormlight transmission

Spren-based AI systems

And, of course, Shardplate spacesuits.

I see that I'm not alone =)

Well I don't think we have to worry about Hoid not making an appearance!

In all truth, I was kind of sad when I heard that there would be two Stormlight arcs as opposed to one true massive series, but now that I understand that they still should form one sequence I don't really have a problem with it. Even if they were more like two separate series like the Mistborn trilogies are to be, they would still have almost 2 million words each, based on the lengths we've seen thus far.

We know that there will be a few characters in both arcs...

So you think:

1) Second arc is several years after the first one, so we'll see "older" characters from first arc?

2) Second arc is > 100 years after the first one => the only way to have the characters from the first arc is if they become "herald-like", or "shard-like", or use Shadesmar to "travel in time" like Hoid?

We know that there will be a few characters in both arcs...

So you think:

1) Second arc is several years after the first one, so we'll see "older" characters from first arc?

2) Second arc is > 100 years after the first one => the only way to have the characters from the first arc is if they become "herald-like", or "shard-like", or use Shadesmar to "travel in time" like Hoid?

Other option is that KR naturally have extended lifespan, so the majority of surviving characters that were Surgebinders stay alive.

• Chaos locked this topic