Navani's fabrial bracelet

JamHeretic

I'd love to make Navani's fabrial bracelet, but looking at the picture, it appears that each gem has a different number of prongs!  The stones are arranged in a double eye, so I tried matching it up with the order numbers on the Radiant chart (under the assumption that the arrangement and numbers, at least, are significant in Vorinism, even if Navani wasn't intending any association with the Radiants). Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I know the different numbers of prongs have to be significant, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Does anyone have any theories? If I want to make one, it's either deduction or counting the prongs in the picture, and that's not really very clear.

I'm also wondering if the gems are all heliodor, or if there is one of each polestone.  I'd try matching up the emotions to Herald attributes, but I really don't think there's a Hate herald.

(I'm also curious - do we have WoB about what metal the bracelet is made of? Or any fabrial for that matter.)

It's Brandon! Everything is significant!  (And speaking as an amateur jeweler, jumping through hoops to make a two-prong setting secure is a huge PITA and I can't imagine doing it if you didn't have to. Much less doing about twice as much fiddly grinding and soldering as necessary for a ten-prong setting.)

I always thought (once the translation was available) that the number of prongs had to do with the Stormlight pattern cast and the power of the gem.  Certain patterns grant certain powers.  In this case, each gem uses a different pattern to detect a certain emotion.  Put all ten fabrials together to get a mood bracelet.  I have no idea if the double eye pattern the fabrials are arranged in is significant though.

(I'm also curious - do we have WoB about what metal the bracelet is made of? Or any fabrial for that matter.)

We know that Navani's Special Non-Numbing Painrial uses brass. That's the only example I could find, but I might have missed others.

I'm also wondering if the gems are all heliodor, or if there is one of each polestone.

I know you've read this part of the WoK Ars Arcanum about Alerters, but I'll just put it here for everyone's benefit:

An Alerter can warn one of a nearby object, feeling, sensation, or phenomenon. These fabrials use a heliodor stone as their focus. I do not know whether this is the only type of gemstone that will work, or if there is another reason heliodor is used.

At first glance, that seems to imply that emotion bracelets must use heliodors exclusively, but I guess there might be enough room for a different interpretation. Like, what if you only need one heliodor in an emotion bracelet, but it's what makes the whole thing work, and the other nine Polestones are just added to detect emotions other than love? That would mean that Love is the default emotion detected by an emotion fabrial, and that the other Polestones just act as extra filters.

I think I'll stick with the most obvious and simplest interpretation (they're all heliodors), at least for now.

I'd try matching up the emotions to Herald attributes, but I really don't think there's a Hate herald.

I don't think the ten emotions need to be matched to the Heralds. It's like how there are ten Body Focuses. I don't think there's a Herald of hair, a Herald of fingernails, etc. These things are more associated with the Essences than with each other. So, Pulp might represent plants, hair, hate, the fifth Herald, etc., but that doesn't mean that hair is a kind of plant, or that the fifth Herald was known for hatred.

Edited by skaa

• Chaos locked this topic