Elsecallers Elsewhere?

Vashakh Sadeas

Question

3 answers to this question

Check out this WoB:

FirstSelector

So if I'm a Surgebinder, I have my own Cognitive entity with me. Can I go off-world with that and will everything continue to work in exactly the same way? Because we've seen Cognitive entities that don't--

Brandon Sanderson

So taking a Cognitive entity off-world is hard. So, Surgebinding, if you can find out how to make it happen, remember, the Investiture is keyed to Connection. This is why Kelsier is-- Oh, sorry, spoilers! When a certain somebody *laughter* had trouble getting off Scadrial, because he basically was a spren by that point so--*laughter* ...So, yeah Surgebinding would work off planet, but you'd have to get the spren off-planet first. That's hard to do. Cosmere-wide it's not hard hard but it is-- You'd have to know some stuff. You could learn how.

It’s entirely possible to Surgebind anywhere in the Cosmere, as Honour’s Investiture is stored in the Spiritual Realm, and therefore independent of location. 

And, @A Dopey Spren, the connection between the spren and Honour is just that Honour’s Investiture is used to power Surgebinding. I don’t believe that we know how much Culti and how much Honour inkspren are. 

From what I understand the abilities are gained from the spren when there is a Nahel bond with the Surgebinder. The human receives the abilities of a Surgebinder, whilst the spren becomes sentient and can manifest in the Physical Realm, rather than just the Cognitive Realm. From what I've read I haven't found anything associating a connection between the Surgebinder's spren and Honour for the abilities to work.

Also is there any reference to whether Inkspren (the Elsecaller spren) are splinters of Honour rather than Cultivation? (As Truthwatchers, and I'm sure others,  are thought to be of Cultivation). I'm genuinely curious!

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Best, 

A Dopey Spren