The Oathpact

Laryna

In WoK (chapter 46-Child of Tanavast), when Kaladin had bonded with the highstorm in his dream, the voice in the sky told him that the Oathpact was shattered and men do not ride the storms.

"CHILD OF TANAVAST. CHILD OF HONOR. CHILD OF ONE LONG SINCE DEPARTED . The sudden voice

shook Kaladin; he floundered in the air.

THE OOATHPACT WAS SHATTERED.

The booming sound made the stormwall itself vibrate. Kaladin hit the ground, separating from

the storm. He skidded to a stop, feet throwing up sprays of water. Stormwinds crashed into him, but

he was enough a part of them that they neither tossed nor shook him.

MEN RIDE THE STORMS NO LONGER. The voice was thunder, crashing in the air. THE OOATHPACT IS

BROKEN, CHILD OF HONOR."

But the Oathpact had ended with the Heralds, then how were the Radiants able to ride the storms?

Well Taln is still in damnation keeping whatever vestiges of the oathpact are still in effect when Kaladin is having his vision.

Logically, therefore, the Stormfather is not referring to the other Heralds abandonment of their blades as the reason for the Oathpact being shattered and men no longer riding the storms.

My guess is that he is referring to either the abandonment by the KR or the death of Tanavast / splintering of Honor.

Both of these events seem like they would be dire enough to have significant consequences for surgebinders.

I thought, the Nine left in hope, that the Oathpact was kept alive with Taln going back to damnation.

Actually in the prelude, Jez definitely says that "the Oathpact ends now"

"Jezrien walked back to the ring of swords. His own Blade formed in his hands, appearing from

mist, wet with condensation. “It has been decided, Kalak. We will go our ways, and we will not seek

out one another. Our Blades must be left. The Oathpact ends now.”

Actually in the prelude, Jez definitely says that "the Oathpact ends now"

"Jezrien walked back to the ring of swords. His own Blade formed in his hands, appearing from

mist, wet with condensation. “It has been decided, Kalak. We will go our ways, and we will not seek

out one another. Our Blades must be left. The Oathpact ends now.”

But can't this just mean "ends for us now"? Because a few lines before Jezrien says:

"Ishar believes that so long as there is one of us still bound to the Oathpact, it may be enough."

"still bound to" in my view means the Oathpact is intact.

*THINK*

But none of them were sure that it would last, only that it might. It might have meant abandoning Taln to an everlasting/never ending torment at Odium's hands... maybe it was shattered, and Odium only release Taln when he thought his final victory was assured already based on human's disunity and fracturing. Maybe he release Taln not to help stop it as part of the normal Oathpact, but to sow more confusion/strife ahead of the Desolation to come. Some over confidence on Odium's part that hopefully will come back to bite him. 

WoR spoiler

There is an interesting section of Dalinar's vision where the Almighty indicates that KR/Surgebinding is something the Spren did in "imitation" of the Heralds and the powers given them by Honor. So the Oathpact and men riding the storms are not necessarily linked...

Interesting. It seems to me so obvious a connection that it must be wrong, yet no one is speaking of it. Along with the oathpact Honor has been shattered as well. It strikes me as an odd word choice for the stormfather/face in the wind to use, he in fact does change the way he talks about it later. Perhaps there is a reason why he used that particular word?

Interesting. It seems to me so obvious a connection that it must be wrong, yet no one is speaking of it. Along with the oathpact Honor has been shattered as well. It strikes me as an odd word choice for the stormfather/face in the wind to use, he in fact does change the way he talks about it later. Perhaps there is a reason why he used that particular word?

We really don't know much about the stormfather/face in the wind yet. We don't know who's side he/it is on. He could just be trying to screw things up for everyone. I can't wait to find out some of those things in the next book. My guess is that Brandon will toss some of the things we believe out of the window, and we will have/get to rethink a lot.

But none of them were sure that it would last, only that it might. It might have meant abandoning Taln to an everlasting/never ending torment at Odium's hands... maybe it was shattered, and Odium only release Taln when he thought his final victory was assured already based on human's disunity and fracturing. Maybe he release Taln not to help stop it as part of the normal Oathpact, but to sow more confusion/strife ahead of the Desolation to come. Some over confidence on Odium's part that hopefully will come back to bite him. 

WoR spoiler

There is an interesting section of Dalinar's vision where the Almighty indicates that KR/Surgebinding is something the Spren did in "imitation" of the Heralds and the powers given them by Honor. So the Oathpact and men riding the storms are not necessarily linked...

. Someone in WoK mentions that Odium's prison has ten facets. 10 Heralds, 10 facets. I imagine something like a d10 dice with Odium inside, and Taln is the only side still there. So Odium has been free to tamper with Roshar, but not show up full force. Similar to WoT DO.

Jezrien also  replies to Kalak's remark "they rely on us" with "they have the Radiants now, that will be enough." There's a possibility that KR bonded spren acted as a bandaid for Odium's prison: pertinent to Green Hoodie' s spoiler.

Hmm I may have misinterpreted it. Pg . 508-509 "did they teach you about the nature of theAlmighty? The divine prism, with the 10 facets representing the 10 Heralds?"

That sounds more like Vorin religious interpretation than a reference to a prison. It probably refers more to the Herald's divine attributes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I may have misinterpreted it. Pg . 508-509 "did they teach you about the nature of theAlmighty? The divine prism, with the 10 facets representing the 10 Heralds?"

There are ten fools too..... coincidence?

Edited by Alka

Yeah, the Stormfather's words don't actually contradict the idea that the Oathpact still exists in some form.  After all, Adonalsium was shattered, but it still exists in the form of the Shards.  Neither are what they once were or function as originally intended perhaps, but their power is still present and in use.

• Chaos locked this topic