[OB] Eshonai's Screaming

SpeakoftheDeval

So I was browsing the arcanum when I came upon this

dragonssleepinfire

In Words of Radiance

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

After Eshonai bonds the storm spren, she starts hearing this screaming voice in her head.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes?

dragonssleepinfire

Is that her voice?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, um… It is a combination of her voice and something that is happening with Roshar, and at the end of the next book you’ll get a big clue.

Ive re read the ending of oathbringer a few times but I still can't figure out what he's talking about in this.

5 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

It's Timbre screaming, it's basically the same as when a Radiant touches a dead blade. I think.

Yeah but, that would imply that Eshonai is straining their bond with stormform but I was under the impression that even though timbre was interested in eshonai they hadn't yet bonded ( if eshonai had said any Words or could draw in stormlight I have a feeling this would have been mentioned). 

Thus there is no reason for it to be timbre screaming and I'm still confused 

Thats why Timbre was screaming, Eshonai didn't embrace the Oath, Venli did. The thing with Listeners is that spren can inhabit their gemhearts unlike humans. Timbre and the voidspren competed for Eshonais gemheart but the voidspren 'overwrote' Timbre. In Venli's case Timbre 'overwrote' the voidspren and with the added strength of the Oath success was achieved.

Ok on reflection I'm moving away from the idea that this is related to spren but what I'm thinking is- Dalinar keeps on mentioning throughout OB that he hears a chorus of screams and then so does Szeth and this could be just related to their natural guilt but combining it with the above WoB I'm now thinking that there is an unmade or something that amplifies guilt and makes you hear a chorus of those you have killed screaming- as the parshendi general eshonais certainly has killed at least hundreds of humans personally 

6 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

Ok on reflection I'm moving away from the idea that this is related to spren but what I'm thinking is- Dalinar keeps on mentioning throughout OB that he hears a chorus of screams and then so does Szeth and this could be just related to their natural guilt but combining it with the above WoB I'm now thinking that there is an unmade or something that amplifies guilt and makes you hear a chorus of those you have killed screaming- as the parshendi general eshonais certainly has killed at least hundreds of humans personally 

According to Nale and the Nightwatcher, and judging by Dalinar hearing Evi forgive him, the screams of people you murdered are related to a broken soul and the Spiritual Realm. I think that those screams are a sort of lasting imprint in your Spiritual Connection to people you have killed, and when there's a lot, and your soul is cracked, you can hear them intensely. I'm not sure if I make sense, but I tried to explain that as cohesively as possible.

On the subject of Szeth's Screams:

Blightsong
Is anything magical going on with the screams Szeth hears?

Brandon Sanderson
See here's the thing. What we would call magical may not be considered magical in the Cosmere, but it depends on your definition of magic. Would Szeth if he were on our planet and have done those things would he hear those screams, probably not, but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes.

Blightsong
So it has to do with the spiritual realm?

Brandon Sanderson
Yea, mhmm, yea.

So that(and possibly Dalinar's) have to do with the SR. How different is what happens to them from Eshonai? That kinda question should tell you if it's a similar case with her or not.

53 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

So that(and possibly Dalinar's) have to do with the SR. How different is what happens to them from Eshonai? That kinda question should tell you if it's a similar case with her or not.

Well in the original WoB he says that eshonais thing is something that happening with roshar which means that eshonais thing can't be the cosmere wide spiritual realm thing that apparently is going on with Dalinar and Szeth. I'm still not sold on it just being the battle between the spren though. I'd say it's probably a cognitive realm thing then- time for another re read of the end of oathbringer to look for this elusive clue

• Chaos locked this topic