[OB] Worldhoppers and speaking Alethi etc

IndigoAjah

So, we have seen at least a few Worldhoppers in Stormlight Archive now, and as my comments elsewhere demonstrate, I don't think they distract at all. 

However they do ask a few questions, ones with logical possible answers and I suspect will be answered, but still. 

How are they speaking Alethi?

Have they learnt the tongue, and how? Or can some of them manipulate Connection? Have instant translation devices?

For Azure and Zahel the obvious explanation to me is that (though it doesn't matter when there aren't as many languages on Nalthis, that we have seen at least), a Heightening gives the ability to speak and understand any language 

Edited by IndigoAjah

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Worldhoppers and speaking Alethi etc
4 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

He's got a specific link to Connection though! He also combined all 3 Realms, how is Vasher for example doing that?

The Unity moment hadn't happened when Dalinar was learning the Connection hack. Actually - have you read Mistborn? The Bands of Mourning specifically? There's something similar going on there and it may be easier to explain if I could use examples from Mistborn.

24 minutes ago, Argent said:

The Unity moment hadn't happened when Dalinar was learning the Connection hack. Actually - have you read Mistborn? The Bands of Mourning specifically? There's something similar going on there and it may be easier to explain if I could use examples from Mistborn.

I've read Mistborn but they have a specific hack! Seems deeply unlikely that the Nalthians have the same hack

18 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

I've read Mistborn but they have a specific hack! Seems deeply unlikely that the Nalthians have the same hack

Fundamentally, the underlying mechanics are the same - if you want to be able to speak another language, one of the easiest ways is to use Connection - a Spiritual attribute, which (by virtue of being Spiritual) permeates the entire Cosmere. The medallions in Mistborn allow you to Connect to the land, while Dalinar seems to Connect with specific people who in turn are Connected to the land, but the net result is the same. As to how exactly a Nalthian (or a Yolish, for that matter) would accomplish the same thing - we don't know, unfortunately. But I would imagine there are magitek items available to worldhoppers, tools similar (or identical) to the medallions that enable Connection on demand.

• Chaos locked this topic