Lirin's Actions

Darth Revan

Question

4 answers to this question

Both of the other answers are right but incomplete.

Listiow had loaned Lirin the spheres to provide light for surgery. Lirin was present at the brightlord's death, and came away with a will giving the spheres to Lirin to finance Kaladin's education as a surgeon.

It did turn out Lirin lied about it. He claimed Wistiow would have wanted this, but passed without regaining lucidity.

This claim on the spheres of course led to the friction between the new brightlord Roshone and Lirin, eventually to Tien being drafted and Kaladin joining the army.

on the off chance that anyone hasn't read WoK I'll spoiler tag this, but there is nothing in the below from Oathbringer:

Spoiler

The brightlord of their area, prior to Roshone, was on good terms with Lirin.  He eventually gets sick, and Lirin is working to help him, but is eventually unable to.  after he dies, Lirin says that the spheres that had been on load to them to light the operating room had been willied to them to get Kaladin an education as a surgeon, and so he kept them.  However, he was alone with the brightlord (don't recall the name) when he died ao Roshone, and at lest some fo the townsfolk don't believe him.  If memory serves Lirin actually was lying about that, but I'd have to go back and look it up to be sure.

Edited by Dunkum

10 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

the brightlord (don't recall the name)

Old Chap named Wistiow.

49 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

I can't remember what Lirin did that was so controversial in Kaladin's flashbacks

Essentially, a contract(his surgery patient's will) was made without witnesses to back it up, so it became a "your word against mine" situation. As the one who got money out of the situation, Lirin became suspicious.