[OB] Another shard revealed?

Lazarus52980

I'm listening to OB part 2 via audio book and one of the characters who is lamenting about infiltrating the calligrapher’s guild curses saying “by purity's eye…”.  Purity sounds like the name of a shard to me… any chance this is a first cosmere mention of a new shard? (New to us anyway…)

Edited by Lazarus52980

Nazh is the one who picks up these maps and drawings (and likes to complain about it), so he's almost certainly the one who wrote the page on glyphs. Purity fits with the naming system of the Threnodite system, who had a Shard (Ambition) there at one point. Purity might be a person, or maybe even a place, in Threnody, but not a Shard. Good catch, though!

17 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

I'm still curious as to the identities of the letter-writers Hoid contacts. One I'm fairly positive is Harmony. What do the rest of you think?

Yes, the last series of epigraphs in part 2 are definitely Sazed, in convinced they're all shards and the rest all knew Cephandrius (Hoid) pre-shattering.

13 hours ago, TheOneKEA said:

There is a gas giant in the Threnodite system named Purity. I just checked the map in Arcanum Unbounded and verified where it was located in the system; it’s close enough to Threnody that it should be visible from that planet.

Well, so much for my theory.  Thank you for setting me straight.

• 3 months later...

That makes it likely that "Purity's eye" is a visible feature of the gas giant's atmosphere, like a giant storm.

I think the analogue on earth would sound slightly lamer: "by Jupiter's Red Spot":

1 hour ago, Storms! said:

Pretty sure Brandon confirmed this

He did confirm Autonomy. 

Chaos [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

Did you mean to imply that Autonomy wrote the second letter in Oathbringer back there, with the aspects thing?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

Yeah, I did.

(He did imply that it was supposed to be fairly obvious.)

• Chaos locked this topic