Early Release

Wanderer

Has anyone in the NYC area been able to get the book early? I have the kindle, hardcover, and audible pre-ordered, and don't care if i get an extra copy, please help.

I both called and checked B&N in Tribeca to no avail (not that I thought there would be much of a chance.) Checking Housing Works in SoHo after work today as well, I'll update if I have any luck.

I both called and checked B&N in Tribeca to no avail (not that I thought there would be much of a chance.) Checking Housing Works in SoHo after work today as well, I'll update if I have any luck.

Called about 20 places right now, B&N is the only one that gave me any indication that they have it, they just wont sell it until the 4th. I called Housing Works, and they don't have it.

I too would be interested if anyplace in NYC has it in.  Please spread the word. I'm going to buy a kindle version anyway on release night. 

Incidentally, for those for whom hours really count and who want an ebook: you can order it online from amazon.co.uk at 12.00 GMT which is 4.5 hours earlier than amazon.com ebook. 

I too would be interested if anyplace in NYC has it in.  Please spread the word. I'm going to buy a kindle version anyway on release night. 

Incidentally, for those for whom hours really count and who want an ebook: you can order it online from amazon.co.uk at 12.00 GMT which is 4.5 hours earlier than amazon.com ebook. 

So it's not released at 12:00 EST across the board? I'd be interested to know how Amazon manages its digital content release dates; it's possible (as with Skyrim) that if you use an ebook reader to connect to Amazon through a VPN from a different country that they would allow you to access the book. Given the nature of how one orders (through regional amazon websites), I unfortunately doubt that this is the case. Might be worth trying though.

So it's not released at 12:00 EST across the board? I'd be interested to know how Amazon manages its digital content release dates; it's possible (as with Skyrim) that if you use an ebook reader to connect to Amazon through a VPN from a different country that they would allow you to access the book. Given the nature of how one orders (through regional amazon websites), I unfortunately doubt that this is the case. Might be worth trying though.

I don't know that you need to do all that. I bought Dangerous Women from amazon.co.uk directly with a US credit card. 

so I got mine 2 days ago too, unfortunately I had to choose between reading and studying for my theoretical physics exam, so naturally I read, and then screamed  a little, cried a little, ate all of my fingernails, loughed and sobbed with the pure joy and glory and then I finished the book after savouring every last page. I have never had a book like this.

thank you for enriching my life

so I got mine 2 days ago too, unfortunately I had to choose between reading and studying for my theoretical physics exam, so naturally I read, and then screamed a little, cried a little, ate all of my fingernails, loughed and sobbed with the pure joy and glory and then I finished the book after savouring every last page. I have never had a book like this.

thank you for enriching my life

So the hype's worth it?

My first impressions.  Not really of the content of the book, but it's significance.  Spoiler free, but I don't want to be rubbing people's noses in it.  The tl;dr is I'm excited for everyone else to read it

I'm starting to think the pressure of reading the last 10% or so of the book, and not having anywhere to talk about it is worse than waiting for it was.

So many things that I want to talk about.  So many theories shot down, or proven.  So much that simply couldn't have been theorised from WoK alone, because Roshar is broader than we knew.

I'm going to write a couple of posts and save them for the release, to cut the time before I can talk about this down to a minimum.  In fact, I may well time them to the minute of the spoiler policy.  I'm that excited to talk about it.  

I'm yet not willing to say it's Sanderson's best work so far(I still lean towards Emperor's Soul for that, actually) but it fits his general progression of getting better over time, and it doesn't feel like a Well of Ascension, where I value it for it's place in the story, but don't enjoy re-reading it.  And once the hypes died down, I've had chance to read it again and evaluate it properly, I may well swing over to it.  

Also, until this book I hadn't noticed how much people on Roshar say "Yeah".  I've done a quick check through Way of Kings, and it seems consistent with the earlier books (which is good, nothing frustrates me more than dialect changes within a series without good reason.  If time passes, fine.  If different characters talk differently, fine.  But I'm sorry GRRM, it's just not OK for you to make the language increasingly archaic with every book.  You've got characters who start off sounding distinctly modern American in places of aGoT.  Stick with it).  But it really stood out this time around.  And in fact, it seems to be something Sanderson is developing over time, because it's really present in Alloy of Law, but not the original Mistborn trilogy.  I'm tempted to plot his "Yeah"s per word, per book over time and see where we end up

Edited by Tarion

My first impressions. Not really of the content of the book, but it's significance. Spoiler free, but I don't want to be rubbing people's noses in it. The tl;dr is I'm excited for everyone else to read it

I'm starting to think the pressure of reading the last 10% or so of the book, and not having anywhere to talk about it is worse than waiting for it was.

So many things that I want to talk about. So many theories shot down, or proven. So much that simply couldn't have been theorised from WoK alone, because Roshar is broader than we knew.

I'm going to write a couple of posts and save them for the release, to cut the time before I can talk about this down to a minimum. In fact, I may well time them to the minute of the spoiler policy. I'm that excited to talk about it.

I'm yet not willing to say it's Sanderson's best work so far(I still lean towards Emperor's Soul for that, actually) but it fits his general progression of getting better over time, and it doesn't feel like a Well of Ascension, where I value it for it's place in the story, but don't enjoy re-reading it. And once the hypes died down, I've had chance to read it again and evaluate it properly, I may well swing over to it.

Also, until this book I hadn't noticed how much people on Roshar say "Yeah". I've done a quick check through Way of Kings, and it seems consistent with the earlier books (which is good, nothing frustrates me more than dialect changes within a series without good reason. If time passes, fine. If different characters talk differently, fine. But I'm sorry GRRM, it's just not OK for you to make the language increasingly archaic with every book. You've got characters who start off sounding distinctly modern American in places of aGoT. Stick with it). But it really stood out this time around. And in fact, it seems to be something Sanderson is developing over time, because it's really present in Alloy of Law, but not the original Mistborn trilogy. I'm tempted to plot his "Yeah"s per word, per book over time and see where we end up

I wonder what it would look like if you did that for every prominent fantasy writer, using a few colloquialisms?

This.  I usually go with ebooks unless they have maps or appendices.  And Stormlight Archive has pictures on top of that.  I can't justify getting the ebook in this case.

This is not a problem with eBooks per se.  They could perfectly support high resolution format.  This is a problem with Amazon's near monopoly on eBooks.  The Kindle format is specifically limited to low resolution images.

I find that books from Apple have higher resolution images.  Not great, but still better than Amazon.

Hi all first post here, has anyone received/acquired a signed copy of WOR already? I bought one and it should arrive tomorrow but im worried its not authentic... is there a list of serial numbers of signed copies of WOR? thanks all. Also anyone that has read WOR and is sending spoilers out please add me to the distro list :)

I broke... Called my local Barnes & Noble, despite everyone's reports that they won't sell it early. The fact that I am here, on the forums, and not in my bed reading should tell you how successful I was...

I broke... Called my local Barnes & Noble, despite everyone's reports that they won't sell it early. The fact that I am here, on the forums, and not in my bed reading should tell you how successful I was...

They sold you a cloning machine too!?!

This is not a problem with eBooks per se. They could perfectly support high resolution format. This is a problem with Amazon's near monopoly on eBooks. The Kindle format is specifically limited to low resolution images.

I find that books from Apple have higher resolution images. Not great, but still better than Amazon.

Does Apple make actual ereaders?

Logically, all you'd be doing would be getting the story in a disjointed mess. Better to be an addict with one and a fan with the other.

Or an addict with both, so we can discuss after.

I also just called a few other stores. One of them got my hopes up, but then broke my heart with some nonsense about how it's illegal to sell it early...