[OB] Re-Shepnir and Blade Stances

Kaladin Zahel

Anyone else feel like Shallan's experience with Re-Shepnir will lead to it or another unmade doing the same thing with Alethi blade stances?

I have been wondering if all the stances were just world building or non-magical systems to add depth to the story.

However, it appears the unmade/voidspren are awakening much like KR and their spren have been. Maybe there will be numerous melees where the KR have the advantage in the beginning, but begin to lose any edge as the enemy learns and adapts.

Well, that's my prediction. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Kaladin Zahel said:

I have been wondering if all the stances were just world building or non-magical systems to add depth to the story.

The Stances(or at least, the Seven that we currently know of) share names with the Ten Essences.

• Windstance for Zephyr(Wind)
  • Smokestance for Vapor
  • Flamestance for Spark
  • ?? for Lucentia (Soulcasting properties include glass and crystal)
  • Vinestance for Pulp(Soulcasting properties include plants and moss)
  • Bloodstance for Blood
  • ?? for Tallow (Soulcasting properties include oils)
  • Ironstance for Foil (Soulcasting property is metal)
  • Stonestance for Talus (Soulcasting properties are rock and stone)
  • ?? for Sinew (Soulcasting properties include meat and flesh)

They also incorporate aspects that are reminiscent of those elements. Windstance has flowing graceful movements like wind. Flamestance exemplifies the fury of flame with constant attacks. Stonestance may as well be boulderstance, emulating the immovable boulder in defense and the unstoppable falling boulder on offense.

I'd consider them non-magical systems to add depth to the story. If you've read much Star Wars Lore about Lightsaber Combat, I'd consider these Stances to be like the Seven Forms. World building to give combat a different flavor than just "slash, riposte, jab, etc.."

Re-Shephir did try to learn how to fight with spears, so I could see her learning about the Stances, but I'm not sure knowing/not knowing them will be some huge advantage. A minor one because the KR are trained in swordplay, perhaps. But nothing more.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Re-Shepnir and Blade Stances
  • Chaos locked this topic