[OB] Worldbuilding Questions

Steeldancer

Here I'm just compiling the most important questions regarding what's going on on Roshar. I'll also list the most popular theories and ideas regarding each one. This is mainly for helping focus attention on questions that we hope will be answered in Oathbringer. 

1. Voidbinding. Seriously, what the storms is going on with this. We have a chart, that indicates that there are 10 void-orders. But if it's of Odium, why are there 10? The best ideas are that it has to do with Forms of Power, but given the path that part one has been taking with the Parshendi... I personally am inclined to say Voidbinding is not restricted to Parshendi. We don't really have enough info on this to make any solid theories, at least none that I've seen. 

2. The Unmade. Are they related to Broken Heralds, Orders, Surges, or are they just arbitrary mockeries of that which Honor made? I assume you guys know what I think, and the issues with that theory. I haven't seen a better explanation yet, so, until I see one that's what I'm sticking with. 

3. The Oathpact. I haven't actually seen a lot of theories on this, which is odd given how it's a massive hole in our understanding of Roshar. The only one I've seen is that its a pact between Heralds and Honor and Cultivation, relating to the first and secondary attributes of each order. We know its between Honor and Heralds, and only traps Odium tangentially. It's also not totally broken, a la Taln. 

4. Desolations. How many were there? Why were they so storming destructive? Why did they start when a Herald broke, and why would they start again if the Heralds did not return to Braize? How did the first one start? No real amazing ideas relating to this, so I'll move on.

5. Shardplate. From WoB, we probably won't be getting answers to this, but was it made of Stormlight or Spren? Not much more to be said there. 

6. Heralds. Where are the rest of the ones we don't have confirmed yet? Big guesses are Tezim is Ishar, and Liss is Chana. Also, that carrot city insane guy, as Jezrien? Also, where is Taln ATM? And where did his blade end up?

7. Aimia. Seriously. What's going on there? 

8. The Shattered Plains and the pacifying of the Listeners. Both of these events require more investiture than we've seen used at once before, to the point of being WoA level events. Where did that investiture come from, and how is it accessed? 

If I forgot anything important, feel free to tell me. Note that several opinions above on these subjects are just that- opinions. Opinions I have based on what I've seen, but still opinions. Don't take them as fact. 

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

8. The Shattered Plains and the pacifying of the Listeners. Both of these events require more investiture than we've seen used at once before, to the point of being WoA level events. Where did that investiture come from, and how is it accessed? 

Not sure about what happened to the Listeners, but there was an idea about the Shattered Plains years ago building off of Kasbal's Cymatics Lesson. Cymatics involve vibrational phenomena making patterns. Lightweavers aren't limited to visible light, they can do sound too. Sound is a vibration of air molecules. What else is a vibration of air molecules?

The original idea was that a large group of Lightweavers created a shockwave that shattered the plains. With the advent of what Dalinar could do with Shallan and the map, coordination of multiple Lightweavers for mega-projects became a subject of discussion. A shockwave of that scale would count as a mega-project.

The sheer volume of Stormlight needed is spread among multiple KR, and coordinated into one event via the presiding Bondsmith. That lets them bypass the limits of how much Investiture a human body can hold, and if a Highstorm had just passed, that'd be the source of all that Investiture.

11 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

3. The Oathpact. I haven't actually seen a lot of theories on this, which is odd given how it's a massive hole in our understanding of Roshar.

There aren't that many theories on it because there's a massive hole in our understanding of it too. Same problem, smaller scale, which is about where we're at for 1, 2, 5, & 7 too.

15 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

4. Desolations. How many were there? Why were they so storming destructive? Why did they start when a Herald broke, and why would they start again if the Heralds did not return to Braize? How did the first one start? No real amazing ideas relating to this, so I'll move on.

Oh, here's something for you to think about. Take these 2 Assumptions and you get the number 11 :)

1. The first Desolation started on it's own without a Herald breaking(around the time the Heralds were chosen)
  2. Each Herald breaks once(so a new one breaks each time), with Taln only breaking now

Using those 3 assumptions, Aharietiam would be the 10th Desolation(The First One, then 9 Subsequently Broken Heralds), making this one Number 11(Taln's breaking).

Aharietiam being on the Vorin Number is also part of their beliefs(which is where I got the 11 concept from)

According to Vorin tradition, mankind led by the Heralds and their chosen knights fought off the Voidbringers ninety and nine times, until finally, Aharietiam came and the Voidbringers were cast back into the Tranquiline Halls. The Heralds followed to force them out of heaven as well, and Roshar's Heraldic Epochs ended.[1]

99 Desolations, and then Aharietiam. That'd be 100, ending on a fittingly auspicious number. Number 101(or more accurately, 11) would be "something different," something that didn't happen before. Badly segued vague reference to that one theory that Cultivation's number was 11.

Dont forget: I demand answers about Nightblood, and Vivenna. What will szeth's relationship with NB mean in terms of cosmere awareness on roshar? 

What will the powers and dispositions of dustbringers, bondsmiths and many other orders of the KR? 

What on earth are Hoid and Jasnah up to? And what roles will they play in the newly re-discovered urithiru and coming desolation? 

Also a thousand other questions that i wont list here! Im sure some will be answered, but another two thousand will be raised! Storm it all! 

OK, here are some others I have.

--Dawnshards: What were they and is it possible to win this war without them?

--Greatshells: What relationship do they have with Odium and Voidbringers?

--Afterlife issues: What is wrong with the Rosharan afterlife?  Is it just Moelach?

--Larkins: Why are they considered so important?  Why are they the background to the Surgebinding chart?

--The Nightwatcher: basically everything about the Nightwatcher, including the nature of the Old Magic.

--Cusicesh: It's just weird.  Is it an Unmade?  Another Bondsmith spren?  Speaking of which...

--The identity of the third Bondsmith spren.

--Lighteyes vs Darkeyes: Is there actually some supernatural element here?

--Fabrials: Will there be unexpected consequences to trapping spren as power sources?  

--Secret Societies: What are their ultimate goals?

1 hour ago, NinjaAlligators said:

--Greatshells: What relationship do they have with Odium and Voidbringers?

Greatshells are part of the natural ecology of the planet as far as I'm aware. Which would make them predate the Shattering. If there's any connections, they'd be intentional meddling on the part of one of the Shards.

Out of curiosity, what made you draw a connection between Greatshells and odium?

--Afterlife issues: What is wrong with the Rosharan afterlife?  Is it just Moelach?

What makes you say there's something wrong with the afterlife?

As for Moelach, the Death Rattles don't interfere with dying. When one approaches death, the barriers between the realms weaken. One can potentially see into the SR and see all manner of information. I think that Moelach's touch allows them to interpret this information a little bit, and in a moment of clarity, panic or insanity, the dying individual exclaims about something that they see.

--Larkins: Why are they considered so important?  Why are they the background to the Surgebinding chart?

A Larkin can consume Stormlight. That's probably a big deal when your magical power source is Stormlight. Additionally, Larkins are a stage in the life cycle of the Lanceryn. We don't know much about them, but their larval form(Larkin) can both consume Stormlight and can fly. If they retain those characteristics after growing, we could have the Rosharan equivalent of a dragon. I'd probably call that important. Don't know about their placement on the Surgebinding Chart though.

--Lighteyes vs Darkeyes: Is there actually some supernatural element here?

Quoth Hoid:

That crazy man happened to have blue eyes, which let him get away with all kinds of trouble. Perhaps Wit should have been bemused by the stock these people put in something as simple as eye color, but he had been many places and seen many methods of rule. This didn’t seem any more ridiculous than most others. And, of course, there was a reason the people did what they did. Well, there was usually a reason. In this case, it just happened to be a good one.

Make of this as you wish.

3 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

What makes you say there's something wrong with the afterlife?

There have been a number of threads postulating that something, usually Odium, is interfering with the normal Cosmere afterlife-cycle (i.e. something is preventing people's cognitive shadows from passing to the Beyond). Generally, evidence presented consists of Vorinism's myth of people fighting in the Tranquiline Halls after they die, the way the Heralds return to Braize when killed, and other things I cannot remember off the top of my head.

5 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Out of curiosity, what made you draw a connection between Greatshells and odium?

Greatshells survive due to spren bonds and Odium, or, more accurately, his Unmade, are known to corrupt spren/ spren bonds. Also, there is that painting Jasnah and Shallan found in Kharbranth of a "voidbringer" that was actually a drawing of a chasmfiend. It is possible it was drawn that way because, as Jasnah guessed, it was the scariest thing the artist knew but it is also possible it was drawn that way because Odium somehow corrupted chasmfiends, or other greatshells, to fight on his side.

3 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

There have been a number of threads postulating that something, usually Odium, is interfering with the normal Cosmere afterlife-cycle (i.e. something is preventing people's cognitive shadows from passing to the Beyond).

I'm aware of those. I don't particularly put much thought either way on the subject. I was asking him(or her) specifically why they thought there was something wrong with it. As someone who never really got that feeling from the text/WoBs, I'm curious about individual opinions.

5 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Greatshells survive due to spren bonds and Odium, or, more accurately, his Unmade, are known to corrupt spren/spren bonds.

Most bonded Spren reside in Greatshell Gemhearts. I don't know if I can see Sja-Anat reaching into a Chasmfiend(literally or metaphorically) to access the Gemheart and the Spren inside. That said, she could probably corrupt a Spren before it bonded with a Greatshell, but then that leads to the other argument, which I've already had. Quoth me and Brightlord Maelstrom from July:

On 7/31/2017 at 1:54 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I see your point. I'll still disagree with you, as I think Chasmfiends would have a hard time existing with a less symbiotic spren to bond with. Magic gravity and all that. Chulls or some of the smaller Greatshells..., that might be feasible

[Brightlord Maelstrom replied]

Yea sorry about that. Chasmfiends are the first thing to really jump into our heads if you say "Greatshell" and "monsters in plain sight." I only half-disagree then, regarding Chasmfiends specifically :) You make a valid point about a Desolation Spren granting the same effect, but then we get into the argument of how/why the Chasmfiend would switch out the Spren it's bonded with. Listeners have different forms, but I don't think Chasmfiends have that same functionality, or at the very least, don't use it very often.
The Everstorm cannot force a Parshendi to bond a Voidspren if they already have a Spren bond. The same should hold true for Greatshells and the KR.

[This WoB happened, and Maelstrom replied with this:
Here is what I think: The 2nd stage (cocooned) is a non-bonded stage. Because of the extra strength of the cocoon, they don't get crushed by their own weight, despite the absence of the gravityspren. The 3rd stage is a bonded one, typically with gravityspren or a related spren. And as seasons pass and they age, they revert from the 3rd stage to the 2nd, then back again (unless killed while cocooned). While cocooned, the bond breaks or dissolves, and a new one forms, allowing for a desolationspren to form a bond now that the everstorm is here. Thus the chasmfiend is the adult stage, but the adult stage can have multiple forms, similarly to Parshendi. The difference is that since Chasmfiend need specific types of spren to survive in a non-cocoon state, so it only really has 2-3 forms, and since the everstorm is recent (at least in this specific cycle of history), then the default gravityspren form is the only one we have seen so far.

11 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

1. Voidbinding

Here's a big one. We haven't seen Voidbinding yet. At all. 

From the Calamity signing in Seattle, Feb. 2016, well after WoR. 

Questioner

How many magic systems are in The Stormlight Archive, and how many of them haven't been seen?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say the only major one you haven’t seen is Voidbinding, it depends on how you count them.  I count fabrials as one, Surgebinding as one, and Voidbinding as one.  And then the Old Magic is kind of its own weird thing.

11 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

3. The Oathpact.

Not only is Taln still holding to the Oathpact, and the it's "not as broken as the Heralds think." but like I've always thought, all of the Heralds are still bound. Which lends credence to my idea that this desolation started ages ago and Odium has been playing the long con. 

From the recent SLCC. 

Questioner

With the Heralds we know that there's only one left... one Herald that's still bound to the Oathpact--

Brandon Sanderson

OK, only one Herald was about, was abandoned-- You'll find out the mechanics of that in the next book.

Questioner

So are we going to see more of Taln...

Brandon Sanderson

You will see more of-- the Oathpact is not completely broken, the others are still bound to the Oathpact.

Questioner

Even though they kind of sort of said they were abandoning it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, so there's still connection there, so you'll find out more about all of this and how it works.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Worldbuilding Questions
  • Chaos locked this topic