Lucentia

Lucentia

Hello fellow Sanderson fans!

First off, I want to say that I love Brandon Sanderson's books! I have only read the Mistborn Trilogy and "The Way of Kings" thus far, but I have started "Elantris" and plan to read "Warbreaker" after that. The depth and ingenuity of Sanderson's works amaze me. Another universe entirely, but one with different cultures, geography, natural desasters, weather, and pecular plants all establish such a tangible reality that the books quickly consume my time.

If you can't yet tell, I am a nerd. Specifically, the academic type who adores math (along with fantasy of course). I Photoshop pictures for fun. I am a friendly person, and a fast reader.

Do you think I am safe reading the discussion boards having read only these books? Thanks for the heads up!

And that's me in a nutshell!

Hi Luz! (You have now been conferred a nickname. Take it or leave it as you please.)

I'm excited to see you join us here! I heard some guy here named Chaos/Eric also loves math. You should talk to him about the Taylor Series or fun things like that. I'm no good for that type of discussion. But I am definitely game for any kind of Sanderson discussion, so you should pop on over to the forums and discuss Brandon-ey things. I think if you haven't read Warbreaker or Elantris, you probably shouldn't read the overall theories ones. Definitely check out the threads on Way of Kings theories and Mistborn stuff. Also, if you have a spare moment, contribute to the Coppermind Wiki! I promise it's fun!

Hi Luz! (You have now been conferred a nickname. Take it or leave it as you please.)

I'm excited to see you join us here! I heard some guy here named Chaos/Eric also loves math. You should talk to him about the Taylor Series or fun things like that. I'm no good for that type of discussion. But I am definitely game for any kind of Sanderson discussion, so you should pop on over to the forums and discuss Brandon-ey things. I think if you haven't read Warbreaker or Elantris, you probably shouldn't read the overall theories ones. Definitely check out the threads on Way of Kings theories and Mistborn stuff. Also, if you have a spare moment, contribute to the Coppermind Wiki! I promise it's fun!

hehe, i dont know why, but chaos being referred to as "some guy" make me giggle.

Anywho, welcome to the forums, Lucentia! And yes, avoid general theories for now. Anything under "book discussion" only go into what books you've read if you worry about spoilers. Under the general "Brandon Sanderson" section, it's mostly spoiler free (as its supposed to be) so you can feel free to browse and carouse there all you want. Other than that, all the other areas should be fine.

Hello there Lucentia :D you're into maths? That automatically makes you awesome in my book. I dunno about the Taylor series, but I'm totally into abstract algebra, group theory and stuff :D

Hello there Lucentia :D you're into maths? That automatically makes you awesome in my book. I dunno about the Taylor series, but I'm totally into abstract algebra, group theory and stuff :D

Of course you're into math. You do programming. If you weren't into math, then you would be some sort of weird abomination. :P

Also: its been a while since calculus, but the taylor series from what i remember is a representation of a function as an infinite sum based on the derivatives of like a single point or something. Something like that, i think. Like i said, college was a while back. I'm sure some guy could come along and correct me anytime if i were wrong.

Greetings, Lucentia!

Seems that some of you love maths, eh? In fact probably Sanderson does that, all systems/mechanics in the cosmere seem to be "strictly defined". In mistborn, for example, you have the 16 metals, divided in 4 groups, divided into external/internal, and so on... The 16 shards, and so on... Yeah, Sanderson must also love maths ;)

anyway, as i was saying, Welcome!

Some guy has arrived. His name is Eric. Referring to myself in the third person makes me a bad guy! (Free reputation points for noting where the obscure reference is from)

Hello fellow Sanderson fans!

First off, I want to say that I love Brandon Sanderson's books! I have only read the Mistborn Trilogy and "The Way of Kings" thus far, but I have started "Elantris" and plan to read "Warbreaker" after that. The depth and ingenuity of Sanderson's works amaze me. Another universe entirely, but one with different cultures, geography, natural desasters, weather, and pecular plants all establish such a tangible reality that the books quickly consume my time.

If you can't yet tell, I am a nerd. Specifically, the academic type who adores math (along with fantasy of course). I Photoshop pictures for fun. I am a friendly person, and a fast reader.

Do you think I am safe reading the discussion boards having read only these books? Thanks for the heads up!

And that's me in a nutshell!

Gasp, could it be? Another math major?

I'm Eric. I'm the forum overlord, and the theory master. I'm also a math major and an aspiring novelist, so I'm the unholy hybrid who likes both words and quantitative reasoning. See? Most math majors wouldn't use the phrase "quantitative reasoning" there. :P

Welcome to 17th Shard. If you have any questions about the site or Brandon's works, I'll be happy to discuss things with you, long after you've decided you no longer care.

Taylor series are fun.

Abstract algebra is boooring. Calculus and analysis is far more rewarding ;)

Of course you're into math. You do programming. If you weren't into math, then you would be some sort of weird abomination. :P

Also: its been a while since calculus, but the taylor series from what i remember is a representation of a function as an infinite sum based on the derivatives of like a single point or something. Something like that, i think. Like i said, college was a while back. I'm sure some guy could come along and correct me anytime if i were wrong.

Well, technically, it's derivatives of the functions evaluated at a point. You can't take the derivative of a point ;)

But yes, that's basically what they are. Taylor series are used for... you know, I'm just not going to complete that sentence. We'll be here all night.

Hehe, exactly. I think it should be added to his titles.

But then I'd have a third line in my title, and that'd throw the symmetry off.

Greetings, Lucentia!

Seems that some of you love maths, eh? In fact probably Sanderson does that, all systems/mechanics in the cosmere seem to be "strictly defined". In mistborn, for example, you have the 16 metals, divided in 4 groups, divided into external/internal, and so on... The 16 shards, and so on... Yeah, Sanderson must also love maths ;)

anyway, as i was saying, Welcome!

Since when does math involve numbers? :P

Abstract algebra is boooring. Calculus and analysis is far more rewarding ;)

ahh, but algebra is fare more enlightening, such a lot of interesting stuff to learn :D

But then I'd have a third line in my title, and that'd throw the symmetry off.

Symmetry is abstract algebra, so ner :P

ahh, but algebra is fare more enlightening, such a lot of interesting stuff to learn :D

Symmetry is abstract algebra, so ner :P

Okay, let me rephrase: abstract algebra proofs are far less enlightening than proofs in analysis. So there :P

Okay, let me rephrase: abstract algebra proofs are far less enlightening than proofs in analysis. So there :P

whatever, you won't win me over. But I can say that number theory blows analysis away for the weird intricacies and enlightenment :P

• 1 month later...

Welcome from yet another math enthusiast! Hehe, I'm in engineering, but I think my favourite classes were the math ones... which were everyone elses least favourites. They just don't see. :D

aye I minor'd in electronic engineering, all the engineers didnt like maths, so me majoring in maths was fun :D

• Chaos locked this topic