[OB] Purelake

platnumkid

@Calderis

That is the very WoB that I was thinking about.

And I agree. A completely foreign mutagen suddenly introduced to any ecosystem has very frightening potential.

I can't imagine The Plague of Sniffles being anything minor. Especially considering WoB 'Frightening'.

Edited by IllNsickly
Wrong word. I think.

8 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

@Calderis

That is the very WoB that I was thinking about.

And I agree. A completely foreign mutagen suddenly introduced to any ecosystem has very frightening potential.

I can't imagine The Plague of Sniffles being anything minor. Especially considering WoB 'Frightening'.

Judging by your user name I am going to assume you are an expert on such subjects. :lol:

Edited by The Invested Beard

unfortunatly I can't use @IIINsickly because i can't tell what letters to use, It would seem most likly due to the various issues I have had with colds hat the plague itself would not be deadly however would cause more severe effects related to colds that could be deadly such as chest/lung infections or bronchitis (I have always had issue with colds but they never cause me an issue, they devolop into something worse) and the usage of the term terrifying in the WoB could have been that to the purelakers such a plague would be terrifying, but it'll probably go away by the next highstorm whenever that is.

@Blacksmithki

The letters are illNsickly.

That is my point, though. As irritating and inconvenient as the Common Cold is for us, with thousands of generations of immune response to combat it, it is still a thorn in our side. 

Think about it from outside of Us. For Rosharians, having ZERO immune response, the virus has the potential to be DEVASTATING. 

Small Pox: Even in Europe was never a minor disease, but Europans had spent generations developing antibodies and their immune systems were familiar with it. Cases occured, but never on a pandemic level. 

When the Europeans brought Small Pox to the New World, they were bringing a completely foreign disease. The Native Population had ZERO immune response to it and it tore through them like wildfire.

(I am intentionally not commenting of the specific history of that particular bit of disgustingness)

This is a subject I have a fair amount of interest in and one of the plot points in the story that I am excited to see explored.

if ever we make a genuine first contact with another species, their Virology and Epidemiology are going to be of PARAMOUNT importance. Will our physiologies be be similar enough that diseases will be contagious? Both theirs and ours. 

Not the BIG TIME diseases. The minor ones, The Sniffles. The ones that people don't think about simply because they are so common. Those are going to be the really nasty buggers.

I know enough not to be confident about whether this is actually relevant or just coincidence, but

In Rysn's interlude in WoR, Vstim appears rather sick after having been to cities around the Purelake.

Rysn believed she'd seen him coughing blood on his handkerchief.

It's possible this plague will spread to the Reshi Isles

23 minutes ago, Wreith said:

I know enough not to be confident about whether this is actually relevant or just coincidence, but

In Rysn's interlude in WoR, Vstim appears rather sick after having been to cities around the Purelake.

Rysn believed she'd seen him coughing blood on his handkerchief.

It's possible this plague will spread to the Reshi Isles

That was intentional to create a way for Rysn to take the lead if I remember correctly, I believe that they directly said that after she broke her legs falling.

12 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

That was intentional to create a way for Rysn to take the lead if I remember correctly, I believe that they directly said that after she broke her legs falling.

No, he faked the severity, but he's still coughing after her fall.

Um, guys, the way Brandon referred to it, I don't think it is going to be serious. Frightening, since they normally don't get ill, but not lethal. "A plague of the sniffles". And Rosharans are naturally healthier because of the natural investiture. That indicates they might be able to shake it off fairly quickly. So, they'll be scared, because they haven't much experience with illness, but they'll survive.

9 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Um, guys, the way Brandon referred to it, I don't think it is going to be serious. Frightening, since they normally don't get ill, but not lethal. "A plague of the sniffles". And Rosharans are naturally healthier because of the natural investiture. That indicates they might be able to shake it off fairly quickly. So, they'll be scared, because they haven't much experience with illness, but they'll survive.

This is reinforced by the scene in the slave wagons with the slave who Tvlakv killed with the grinding cough. 

They are so used to being healthy, that any illness seems like something that needs to be stamped out, because most illness is deadly. 

The idea of a short-term discomforting illness is completely foreign to them. 

That's an interesting concept. 

The damage caused by the panic could be much worse than the actual disease. It could also lead to further division on Roshar as people try to quarantine the disease and assign blame for who caused it. 

On top of everything else that has occurred recently; it's probably time to start the witch hunts.

20 hours ago, kmosiman said:

That's an interesting concept. 

The damage caused by the panic could be much worse than the actual disease. It could also lead to further division on Roshar as people try to quarantine the disease and assign blame for who caused it. 

On top of everything else that has occurred recently; it's probably time to start the witch hunts.

419abf33676315624b9b7288eebf3409.jpg

She turned me into a Newt!  got me mildly ill for a few days!

Burn Her! (burn her, burn her....)

On a more serious note; think of all the mass panic and worry from recent health scares: Zika, Ebola, SARS, Bird Flu, and so on. Do we need a travel ban? Do we quarantine people? Go back a century or 2 and it's now a curse from that person that people don't like very much, brought in by those immigrants we don't like, or caused by our tolerance for people who don't believe in our God in exactly the same way we believe in Him. 

Expel the outsiders who brought this disease upon us!

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Purelake
  • Chaos locked this topic