[OB] Theory: How Dalinar Healed

Shadowfax

I like the theory, it is quite imaginative. There is one more problem though: Dalinar wears the clock-painrial around the outside of his uniform sleeve; to activate the painrial Dalinar would have to press his hand on it. There is no mention of Dalinar doing so. As soon as the sparring starts, Dalinar is stripped to the waist, therefore he would also have taken off the clock-painrial by then. 

7 minutes ago, Pattern said:

I like the theory, it is quite imaginative. There is one more problem though: Dalinar wears the clock-painrial around the outside of his uniform sleeve; to activate the painrial Dalinar would have to press his hand on it. There is no mention of Dalinar doing so. As soon as the sparring starts, Dalinar is stripped to the waist, therefore he would also have taken off the clock-painrial by then. 

I did take that into account. I really should have been more thorough in writing out my initial theory.

Resonance doesn't require active use of Investiture from what we've seen (Shallan's mnemonics, Kaladin's squires). The painrial was fitted with the source of its power, the timerial also had to have something powering it. I work on the assumption that since they're fabrials they use stormlight-invested gemstones. Dalinar created, unwittingly, a resonance from the Investiture (and the corresponding forces of each) in those gemstones, simply by virtue of his nature as a Bondsmith (I believe their resonance IS the ability to create resonance). I don't believe he had to activate the painrial since the Investiture was already present there and it wasn't the painrial itself that I am claiming helped bring back missing memories.

It's a bit of an iffy way to look at it, and I am in no way claiming to be right, and I expect fully to be wrong, but this idea is fascinating me and I'm running with it till I hit a wall of text that stops me in my tracks :D

On 10/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, Knabepicer said:

For it to change to actual healing would be a major advance in technology and change in design philosophy, which I don't think could've occurred in the months? between the books, especially since it wasn't mentioned.

I was re-reading the chapters and came across this, and it reminded me of our conversation here. Apparently it has been mentioned that she has been doing much research into this:

Navani had been working on various forms of pain-related fabrials for use by surgeons, and had mentioned using him as a test subject.

So, who knows? 

I'll be the first to agree that this theory isn't perfect, but there is room to consider we are seeing advances in fabrial-tech and it has been in-text that she's been working on it.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:32 PM, Farnsworth said:

I think it was Renarin who healed him. He has progression, and might have unintentionally used on Dalinar kind of like how Kaladin used his Suges on bridge 4 without knowing

My only problem with this is, when would it have happened? I hate the idea of something this important happening off-screen, though until we know for sure it's not off the table.

On October 4, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Farnsworth said:

I think it was Renarin who healed him. He has progression, and might have unintentionally used on Dalinar kind of like how Kaladin used his Suges on bridge 4 without knowing.

But is the healing Renarin can perform any different than Dalinar using Stormlight to heal himself? Progression is a useful surge if you need to heal someone who can't consume Stormlight, but I always assumed you wouldn't need to use Progression on another Radiant, because the Radiant could simple heal their own wounds. 

18 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

But is the healing Renarin can perform any different than Dalinar using Stormlight to heal himself? Progression is a useful surge if you need to heal someone who can't consume Stormlight, but I always assumed you wouldn't need to use Progression on another Radiant, because the Radiant could simple heal their own wounds. 

That's actually a fair point! I'm not sure we know enough about Progression to count it out, but this does make it seem less likely of a possibility.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Theory: How Dalinar Healed
  • Chaos locked this topic