Nale is Wierd

Toaster Retribution

Nale, Nalan, Nin, Darkness, Inspector Javert, whatever you want to call him, is our (not so) beloved Herald of Justice. He is a pretty interesting guy though. He went back for his Honorblade, when no other Herald did. He was also the last one to accept patronship over a KR order. As if that wasn´t enough, he also carries Nightblood around. 

So, my question is simply if anyone has any interesting thoughts on Nalan? Why he went back for his Blade. Why he didn´t want to accept a KR order. Why he has Nightblood?

My guess is Nale initially didn't trust the SB to actually follow the law perfectly, but they proved him wrong. His high regard for the law is why he eventually went back for his Blade - he held the Oathpact as the highest law and couldn't completely abandon it.

9 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

How do you pronounce his name? I say/think it with two syllables : Nah-Lay

Think of the difference between ban-bane. The e at the end opens the vow, so I pronounce Nale more like nail.

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

Why is he such an unimpressive combatant?

Probably because he for some reason chooses not to use surges when fighting Lift, who does use surges. We have never seen him fight someone who actively tries to kill him either. Lift only tries to escape, and her surges and natural skills are very good for that. I´d say that if Nale fought with his full capabilities,

And also, he keeps on besting Lift, who uses surges and only tries to escape, with basically a Blade and a knife, no magic used. That is still kind of impressive. That said, let us hope we get some good Nale fight scenes vs some Stone Shamans. 

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Probably because he for some reason chooses not to use surges when fighting Lift, who does use surges. We have never seen him fight someone who actively tries to kill him either. Lift only tries to escape, and her surges and natural skills are very good for that. I´d say that if Nale fought with his full capabilities,

And also, he keeps on besting Lift, who uses surges and only tries to escape, with basically a Blade and a knife, no magic used. That is still kind of impressive. That said, let us hope we get some good Nale fight scenes vs some Stone Shamans. 

I really hope we see him or other (Szeth?) fight some Stone Shamans.    

As to how/why he got Nightblood, I have no idea.  I'm sure it'll make sense what Brandon explains it since Vasher and Nightblood were originally conceived as Stormlight characters.  

I want to see what Nale says about Ishar, since he claimed to be acting on Ishar's guidance.  I think that would give us a window into the Heralds' insanity.  I also want to see Nale interact with Dalinar.  That would be such a cool conversation, as it would essentially be bringing the Heralds back into the "mainstream" (I'm not counting Taln [who I do think is Taln, just an insane version of him] since he hasn't been "publicly" confirmed to be a Herald who has returned).  Dalinar and Nale could also have a very interesting philosophical discussion.

3 hours ago, Aleksiel said:

Think of the difference between ban-bane. The e at the end opens the vow, so I pronounce Nale more like nail.

Yeah that was the way I first pronounced it though i eventually went with two syllables because it sounded cooler and more.... i dont know, ancient?

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Some Word of Brandon :

INTERVIEW: Nov 29th, 2016

QUESTION

Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer

I'm assuming the asterisk is preventing him from surgebinding. Hopefully we get to see this immortal demigod killing mofo go all out though.

I do wonder how long he has been working though. The Skybreakers never disbanded but has Nale been with them and dealing with highspren this entire time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic