[OB] Off-screen events

Helwar

Hey guys. I'm usually the silent lurker in the forums, giving upvotes here and there, and rarely answering other's threads. I'm just more of a "listener" than "talker" type of guy.

But since the preview chapters started apperaing on the Tor website there is something that has been nagging me, there are a couple of things that I wanted to "see" and happened offscreen between WoR and Oathbringer.

1- the one-armed Hedazian becoming the two-armed Herdazian, And

2- all of bridge 4 becoming squires.

Yeah, I know, we had a little tip at the end of WoR, where the Lopen started to use stormlight, giving out clues as to what was about to happen to Bridge 4, but still I would've loved to read it, get to know the reactions of everyone, specially Teft's as he has a history with "wanting to be a Radiant", and in the end "experience" it as much as possible, rather than this "oh, that happened" feeling I got instead.

I dunno. Maybe Sanderson thought it would be repeating himself, people learning to use their powers just as Kal did, but I kinda felt like there was a different thing to tell there, and it's just in the past :(

That aside, I'm thrilled about the book! Looking forward for the next chapters!

Edited by Helwar
grammar

6 hours ago, Helwar said:

1- the one-armed Hedazian becoming the two-armed Herdazian, And

2- all of bridge 4 becoming squires.

Yeah, I know, we had a little tip at the end of WoR, where the Lopen started to use stormlight, giving out clues as to what was about to happen to Bridge 4, but still I would've loved to read it, get to know the reactions of everyone, specially Teft's as he has a history with "wanting to be a Radiant", and in the end "experience" it as much as possible, rather than this "oh, that happened" feeling I got instead.

I dunno. Maybe Sanderson thought it would be repeating himself, people learning to use their powers just as Kal did, but I kinda felt like there was a different thing to tell there, and it's just in the past :(

That aside, I'm thrilled about the book! Looking forward for the next chapters!

1- Yes many people, myself included, complained that this happened off screen. There was a lot of telling and not showing in those first chapters.

2- I'm okay with this. It would have been nice to have Skar and Drehy using Stormlight during the Battle of Narak for example but it's fine. The Lopen reveal was sufficient and Teft reported that Bridge 4 used Stormlight during the battle. If being squires allows greater abilities than simple Stormlight absorption, I'm sure we will see it first hand.

5 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Bridge 4 is definitely being kept off-screen for a reason. Sanderson has something planned for the big reveal of the squires imo. 

Yes, they are being held back searching those darn tunnels. Windrunner squires are supposed to be stronger than most so I'm expecting great things from Bridge 4.

1 hour ago, axcellence said:

Hauber should fix his legs as well... harping on about that for a while..

Yessss, Hobber will pop back up eventually.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Off-screen events
  • Chaos locked this topic